April 2013 Moms

Not STTN?

LO is 12 weeks old today...and he is still NOT sttn! I EBF and my pedi suggested I pump and give him a bottle at his last feeding; well....since I work full time and pump all day, the last thing I want to do is pump and not nurse at night. But...if that means it will give me more sleep, it might be worth it?! Anyone else's LO still not STTN? If your LO is sttn, do you give a bottle at last feeding?

I should mention he goes down around 10pm, wakes up at 1am and 4am and then sleeps until 8:30am when we have to wake him to take him to day care.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Not STTN?

• evertzevertz member
    I was reading my baby 411 book and it said it's totally normal to still have night feedings up through 4 months and that baby may probably start having a 6 hour stretch of night time sleeping around the 4-6 month mark. Hang in there!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Totally normal. DD1 didn't STTN until she was a year old.

• Loading the player...
  • Mine still wake once a night or so for feedings. Usually they sleep about 5 or 6 hours after their evening bottle and then right back to every four hours starting around 2 to 4 am depending on when that evening bottle was. They are formula fed, so I don't think feeding formula would help much. My first sttn at 8 weeks or so, with occassional wakings during growth sMpurts. So all babies are different and you just don't know what will happen.

Anyway, I hope you get some sleep soon, and just know it won't last forever, even if it feels like it in your sleep deprived state!

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• I think it's normal to not STTN yet. We put LO down between 1030 and 11 and he's up between 3 and 4 and again at 6 or 7.

Would I love a longer stretch, yes, but I just keep saying its coming.....

• Very normal. My LO is 9 weeks and wakes about twice a night. Many babies don't STTN for months. My DD didn't STTN consistently until 9 months.

• My LO sleeps longer when he has a bottle at night vs nursing. When I go back to work I will probably try to nurse at night though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• My LO is 9 weeks and he still gets up once or twice depending on when he went down.
  • Totally normal.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageNicoleSB80:
    I think it's normal to not STTN yet. We put LO down between 1030 and 11 and he's up between 3 and 4 and again at 6 or 7.

5 hrs IS STTN for babies, so your baby is STTN with a few night feeds.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • imageNicoleSB80:
    I think it's normal to not STTN yet. We put LO down between 1030 and 11 and he's up between 3 and 4 and again at 6 or 7.

My DD does the same. We usually get 5 hours followed by another 3 after a night time feed. I can usually catch her before she fully awakes and give her a dream feed and she'll doze back off. That's one of the nice perks of bed sharing!

I actually consider 5 hrs STTN. Even though I see people post about 12 hr stretches. Breast milk digests much faster than formula so baby's tummy empties more quickly and baby gets hungry again faster.

We do have days though when she will wake up after 3 hrs then every 2 to 3 hrs after that but again I catch her before she fully wakes up when I see her rooting in her sleep and nurse her lying in bed so at least it feels like she's slept a longer stretch those nights!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for all your replies...I am really just hoping for one nice 5 hour stretch really- not expecting a full nights sleep for a while :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Kate_CKate_C member
    Is your LO reverse cycling since he gets bottles during the day? My DS did that. He didn't want another bottle at night. He wanted the real deal and ate more overnight for a while until he got used to daycare and bottles. Might just take some time if he is reverse cycling...not sure a bottle would help, but doesn't hurt to try. I finally night weaned at 9 months and he sttn shortly after. GL!
  • imageRussianMommy:
    imageNicoleSB80:

I didn't say she wasn't but 4 to 4.5 hrs is not STTN. FWIW 6hr is considered STTN by most pediatrician. Like I said, would love longer hours but we are happy with what we have which is very close to what OP has.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My LO has been sleeping through the night since 2 months and she is EBF except for her nightly bottle. I think it makes a huge difference because it ensures that she is full
  • imageAmyG*:

If nightly bottles = STTN then why aren't all the formula fed babies and the babies of moms who Ep and only get bottles STTN at an early age?

I other words, giving a bottle at night doesn't help baby sleep better.  It short circuits baby's natural instinct to cluster feed before bed to get more higher fat hindmilk from frequent feedings.  Hopefully you are also pumping for those night feeds, so that isn't decreasing your supply?

The only aside to this would be if you are OVERFEEDING baby with a big bottle in the hopes that they can last a little longer, but that tends to stretch out their stomach and may lead to overeating the rest of the day.  with an epidemic of obesity in the US, I'd err on the side of caution.  Plus if I overfed mine, they wouldn't sleep at night, they'd toss and turn and moan all night keeping me awake. 

this.  overfeeding causes discomfort/gas/fussiness-at least for our baby.  Cluster feeding seems to be working really well.  He's 10 weeks today and just this week has been going for just about 6 hours for his first stretch of sleep.  He goes down between 10:30 and 11:15, sleeps until 4ish, nurses, and sleeps until 7:45.   

Like OP said...I pump all day at work, I definitely don't want to pump again at night.  AND our baby will not take a bottle if I'm in the house 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• DD is 10 weeks and she's still not STTN.  She goes down around 10:30-11 and is up around 1:30 and then either 3:30 or 4:30.  Our pedi said it was perfectly normal for EBF babies to not STTN until 4 or 5 months.  I feel your pain on this.
  • imageReady4theParty:
    DD is 10 weeks and she's still not STTN.nbsp; She goes down around 10:3011 and is up around 1:30 and then either 3:30 or 4:30.nbsp; Our pedi said it was perfectly normal for EBF babies to not STTN until 4 or 5 months.nbsp; I feel your pain on this.

Thank you for this. My son is also 10 weeks today and has the same sleep schedule. Unfortunately he won't nap by himself during the day either, so I am one tired momma. Like the OP, I know he will sleep longer eventually, but I wish that day would hurry up and come already!
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • No help here my LO goes to sleep between 10-11 and sleeps til 2ish then eats and i change him and he goes back to sleep til 5ish. 
  • DS is 3 mos and has been STTN since Mother's Day. And I mean 8- 4 or 5! He gets a bottle around  6-6:30, then he gets a bath and I let him hang out till he has enough of the tub (30 min or so), lotion him up and get in pjs, and we'll play for a few minutes, then I nurse him for afew minutes to top him off and he's out. 
    photo 606e6a9295ea7ed21bede1d01b391656.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If I were in your shoes and pumping all day at work, I would continue to nurse at night. Baby will SSTN when he is ready, unfortunately. I wouldn't want to miss out on that time with my little one to be hooked up to my pump yet again
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • imageRussianMommy:
    imageNicoleSB80:
    I think it's normal to not STTN yet. We put LO down between 1030 and 11 and he's up between 3 and 4 and again at 6 or 7. Would I love a longer stretch, yes, but I just keep saying its coming.....

yeahhh I disagree. 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • imagepinottoparenthood:

imageRussianMommy:
    imageNicoleSB80:

yeahhh I disagree. 

Our birth class taught us that STTN is 5 hours in baby terms
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • zzbbzzbb member
    Still up every 23 hours nursing from 85am then wakes every 1.5 until about 10. Last night was our first over 4 so I'm hoping it wasn't just a fluke. We are 12 weeks today.
  • my LO is 11 weeks we put her down at 8 or 9 and she is usually up 2 or 4 then right back to sleep till 6 or 7.. she sttn once last week we were excited!

• imagekelsea1031:
    Totally normal. DD1 didn't STTN until she was a year old.

This. Sounds like you have a pretty good sleeper, actually!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"