Baby Names

Lachlan

Hello, ladies! Me again. What are your thoughts on the name Lachlan? It's Gaelic and has been very popular in Australia and New Zealand for the past decade. Even so, it's not in the top 1000 in the US.

The pros...
DH has Scottish roots so the origin is meaningful.
It's uncommon in the states, without being yooneek or made up.
I like the nn Lock or Locke.

The cons...
I worry about the spelling and pronunciation being an issue. It's pronounced Lock len. There is an anglicized version, Lochlan, but I think I'd prefer to use the original version.

Thoughts? TIA!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Lachlan

• Cat&SCat&S member
    I like it too, but I think you're going to have issues with the Len ending pronunciation.

Pregnancy Ticker

Zoe Nicole: 8/21/14

Due again: 1/17/18

• Loading the player...
  • I dig it.  My mom told me that Lachlan Hugh was on the list for my brother's name when she was trying to choose.

• I like it, but yes, be prepared to tell people how to pronounce it
  • I like it, and would keep with the original spelling, not the anglicized version.

image  image

• +ASH++ASH+ member
    It's one of my favorite Scottish names - I think it's great!
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • Love Lachlan!
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I love it.  It was on our list for DS2.  DH didn't like it as much as I did though.  We have relatively minor pronunciation and spelling problems when people hear both of our kids' names.  It isn't as bothersome as I thought it would be, but we did try to pick reasonably easy Irish names.  I would keep the traditional spelling, too.

• BC&LMBC&LM member
    Sounds like a last name to me. Not a fan of it as a first name, but might be okay as a middle name.
  • imagecoopsbaby:
    I like it, and would keep with the original spelling, not the anglicized version.

This.  I think it is common enough that people will either know how to pronounce it or be able to pronounce it no problem once you tell them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes I don't think you'll have too much trouble with people recognizing or pronouncing it. It's not like Tadhg where you'll have everyone asking wtf do you say that?
  • It's on DH's list of favourites for a boy.  I don't care for it so much, but I don't really object to it either.  I think it's a great name for in the US, where is not as common as it is here.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Love it and would have used it for sure if it wasn't awful with our lastname. Of course we'd need to have a boy first!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    imageimageimage
  • Cute name
    Birthday

• I like this name a lot and it was on our list at one point but DH eventually vetoed it. I consider mispronunciation a lot, and I don't think this one would be that bad. It wouldn't be a huge concern of mine.  I know one Lachlan and he spells it that way and he is about 8 years old.
  • I don't like it. What would a NN be? Lenny? It's just always been a name that bothered me.
  • It's a great name, it will always remind me of a very funny Australian guy I went to school with...
  • I say go for it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I don't like this name. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like it     I would stick with original version   lochlen doesn't look half as attractive to me as Lachlan.   I think the nn is a great option too
  • I like Lachlan. I don't know how one would pronounce it wrong? It seems intuitive to me. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I'm pleasantly surprised by your responses!! Thanks for your opinions. I've seen many names massacred by the BN board, so this makes me feel good about this choice!
  • +ASH++ASH+ member

imagearizonatea:
    I don't like it. What would a NN be? Lenny? It's just always been a name that bothered me.

A friend of mine is married to a Lachlan and she calls him Lach (Lock). That being said, not every name needs a nickname.  

DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • I want to like it but I just don't for some reason.
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• I like it a lot.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Lachlan is one of my recent name crushes, so I obviously like it.  I think the pronunciation is pretty straight forward (but people can/will butcher just about any name), so I think it should be okay.
  • I actually find the pronunciation pretty intuitive. I love the name Lachlan. Go for it!
  • Lachlan/Lochlan is our top baby name - Due in a month! So, obviously, we love it. I think it sounds very intelligent and strong - like a name that will grow up well. I am also trying to decide if it's so uncommon in the US that people will have problems with the pronunciation, which is my biggest drawback for the name currently, but all the boards I have read have kind of alleviated most of that fear. I think I'm going to go for it - good luck to you!
  • Lachlan/Lochlan is our top baby name - Due in a month! So, obviously, we love it. I think it sounds very intelligent and strong - like a name that will grow up well. I am also trying to decide if it's so uncommon in the US that people will have problems with the pronunciation, which is my biggest drawback for the name currently, but all the boards I have read have kind of alleviated most of that fear. I think I'm going to go for it - good luck to you!

That's great! Yes, I'm in love with this name. But, like you said, our biggest concern is spelling/pronunciation. And TBH, I realize it doesn't have the best flow with our ln. What mn will you use? Ours would be James.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"