Parenting

s/o toddler speech

DS is 19 months old, and talks non-stop. I can understand a good amount of what he says, but more often than not I have no clue what he's saying.

Is this normal? I feel bad that I'm not fluent in Toddler-ese and can't understand what he's asking for sometimes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: s/o toddler speech

• I think that's normal. It took me a while to figure out that "ginget" was supposed to be "blanket" and that "bita" was "vitamin". Even now, as she brings new words into her vocabular, it can take me a few times of her saying it for me to pick it up.

She's almost 27 months now. I can guarantee at 19 months, I had no clue what she was saying 75% of the time lol.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• At 2.5, I still can't tell what my LO is saying sometimes.  New words are popping up all the time and it's hard to keep up....espeically when she is putting new  sentences together!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • At three and change, DD1 is very talkative. I understand a good portion of what she says, but there are times I am positive she is speaking in tongues. She still says goggy instead of doggy, and I can't get her to stop. Before two??? DD1 babbled and I just went along with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Less than 2yrs old they are only 60 to 70 percent intelligible. I don't remember exactly but very normal
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageHilarityEnsued:

I am right there with you.  There are definitely some distinguishable words and I can get the gist of it... but most sentences sound like...

"da nee nee boo papapa laaa banana gagaga"

I just take the one word I recognize and run with it.

Other times I just respond as if I totally understand.  Oftentimes we are in public when this happens.  He'll be having a full conversation and I just interject, "I know I saw that too" or "Oh my goodness that is so crazy" and other completely random responses.

I do the same thing! I guess I do it to encourage him to keep talking. I just felt like I was missing the mommy gene where they magically can decipher the gibberish that comes out of their kids' mouths.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"