Parenting
Options

Parenting freakout RE milestones

Sorry in advance for the parenting related questionSmile

DD has been either at the very end of the curve or late for practically every milestone.  She couldn't sit w/o toppling over until 9m, pulled herself up at maybe 11m and didn't take an unassisted step until 15m.

So I guess I am not suprised that at 17m, she seems to have a speech delay.  My mom has been getting on me about her talking, so I did a little googling, and according to Dr. google, she should have 50 words by 18m.  I honestly didn't know that and now I feel bad for not intervening sooner.  Cue panic.

DD says hi, bye and no.  She says "uh-oh" if she drops something, but that's it.  No mama or dada ever.  Her 18m check up is in about 3 weeks, so obvioulsy I am going to speak to her ped, but in the meantime, I am wondering if there is anything I can do to encourage her talking?  Any advice/ help is appreciated!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

Re: Parenting freakout RE milestones

• Options
    50 words by 18 months?  That seems like a lot.  I was told at DD's 18 month check up that they should be saying just a few in addition to mom and dad.  It seems your LO is on the right track and warrants no worrying.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Options
    My DD just turned 18 months and prior to last week only had a hand full of words. Last week we visited MIL and she had an explosion of words, it was very weird. I was getting worried but trying not to because DH was a late talker as well. I have no real advise beside just keep talking to her but I was where you are a month ago and it changed over night. MIL thought we were crazy for worrying because of all the word she started saying last week.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

At 18 months, our pedi only looked for a few words, like mama, dada, and a couple of others. Her language explosion didn't take place until 21ish  months. Now, I can't shut her up lol.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options

50 words by 18m is correct...however, it's not unusual for a lot of kids not to meet this "requirement."

The best thing you can do is speak to her. Instead of simple one word answers, expand on yours. Ask her questions instead of just giving her what you know she wants. "Do you want your bottle?" Even if she doesn't respond, she's being prompted and that's excellent.

Don't be surprised if your pediatrician brushes off your concern. It's common for older pediatricians to chop a speech delay up to being because you/an older sibling is speaking for her, etc. It's just now really that pediatricians are starting to work with SLPs instead of against them. Push for a referral and you'll get one. At least have her evaluated (it's a short process - basically just a few minutes of play to see what her language skills are), so that you can see where she stands.

Also, "early intervention" begins at 18 months, so you haven't done anything wrong there.

ETA: I graduate next semester with my degree in CSD (to become a SLP).

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options
    imageInkogneetoh:

My DD was ahead on all physical milestones, but talking she seems to be lagging a bit behind.  There's no way she had 50 words at 18m.  Now, she's talking up a storm and learning new things every day.

The biggest difference was getting her enrolled in DC.  I don't know if you're a SAHM or not, but if so, maybe try and get her more involved in group activities where she'll pick up things from the other kids. 

I work full time-- so she is in daycare (in home daycare) with 3-4 other kids (depending on the day).  Most of the kids are within 6 months of LO's age. She's been attending since she was about 7m.

I appreciate the responses-- it does make me feel a little bit better.  I think I might still bring it up to the ped-- would that be pushy?

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    imagebigbootyjudi:

50 words by 18m is correct...however, it's not unusual for a lot of kids not to meet this "requirement."

The best thing you can do is speak to her. Instead of simple one word answers, expand on yours. Ask her questions instead of just giving her what you know she wants. "Do you want your bottle?" Even if she doesn't respond, she's being prompted and that's excellent.

Don't be surprised if your pediatrician brushes off your concern. It's common for older pediatricians to chop a speech delay up to being because you/an older sibling is speaking for her, etc. It's just now really that pediatricians are starting to work with SLPs instead of against them. Push for a referral and you'll get one. At least have her evaluated (it's a short process - basically just a few minutes of play to see what her language skills are), so that you can see where she stands.

Also, "early intervention" begins at 18 months, so you haven't done anything wrong there.

ETA: I graduate next semester with my degree in CSD (to become a SLP).

This is so helpful-- thank you!

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    Obviously if its bothering you then speak to the pedi but I'll add another example of a kid who didn't have much to say at 18 months, then between 18 to 24 months she gained a ton. She speaks in 3 or 4 word sentences now, at 28 months. Another vote not to worry!
    SQUIRREL!!!

• Options
    IDK, 50 words sounds like alot for 18 months.  My nephew will be 2 in September and I don't think he even says 10 words.  I do think he has some sort of speech delay though.  I'd wait to talk to the doctor before you panic too much.
     Lilypie - (gu1R)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    DD is 22 months and she's not saying 50 words, if she is they're not understandable. She's just now starting to really talk.

I believe she worked on all of her physical milestones first. Your LO might be working on other skills right now.
  • Options
    My ds will be two and the doctor told me they would like him saying around 40 words by that point. I know at 18 months it was more like 10 words
  • Options

Another vote for 50 words sounds like a ton for 18 months.  I thought it was "15 words by 15 months"  maybe I'm wrong.  I know for a fact that my DD didn't have 50 words at 18 months.  She was just getting tubes put in her ears and she barely passed her hearing test.  I also remember asking the ENT about the lack of her saying 2 word sentences.  He said that didn't happen until 2....and he was right!  At 2.5 years she's speaking well and picking up new words everyday! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

DD is 15 months. She says mama, dada, uh oh and bo bo for our cat. I can't see much changing in the next three months. She sat up at six months, stood up at 9, walked at 11. She didn't cut a tooth until just before 12, as did DD1, and she wasn't a chatty Cathy either. I think it was DD1's 2nd birthday before I could understand anything she said. Now she won't shut up and is very verbal.

I am not saying there isn't a problem, but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just yet. I have heard that they don't start forming words until they have teeth, which is why I brought up DDs' first tooth age. Maybe they were "delayed" because of that? I'm not worried either way.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

50 by 18 months seems like a lot.  At our 18 month appointment, they asked if he was saying words, and I said probably around 15-20, and the doctor was happy with that.  I was worried they didn't count because not everyone can recognize them, but she said as long as it is the same "word" for the same thing every time, it doesn't matter if it is clear at this point. 

Of course bring it up at the appointment--they will probably ask anyway.  I know of several children who seemed like they were delayed with talking, and then one day, started talking in full sentences around 2 years old.  I'm not a professional, so I don't know what is right, but it seems like there is a huge range in not only what children do at this age, but also a huge range in what doctors expect.  I personally wouldn't worry too much until the 2 year mark, and/or maybe if there wasn't steady progress even if it seemed slow (or if she was going backwards).

• Options
    I am an SLP, I wouldn't be super worried yet. where i am we never see kids before 2. but i would do what the previous poster said. If she points, say do you want the book? Here is the book. Even if she just says b I would give it to her and give her lots of praise and then say "here is the book!" So she can here the target word multiple times.
    When playing label the items. If you are playing with blocks, you can build and say up, up up and boom. You can play with her like that so she hears those words and then she will probably repeat them soon. Things like that. If that makes sense...
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Our SLP told us that 50 words by 18 months was the norm, but the "minimum" was 15 words.

My son has a speech delay and he's been in ST since 18 months. His word explosion happened right around his 2nd birthday. He has so many words I don't count anymore and he's talking in sentences like a pro. I know it's hard, but try not to worry. Worst case scenario, she'll qualify for speech services and get the help she needs.

Definitely mention it to the pedi, but it's pretty likely that her pedi will bring it up as well. And you can call early intervention for an evaluation on your own any time, even if her pedi isn't concerned.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think you're pedi would be concerned with no words or maybe only one or 2 words by 18 months.  Just because Dr. Google says 50 words, that may just be an average for 18 months.  DD was very verbal very early so she was upwards of 50 words by 18 months, but she didn't walk unassisted until 16 months.  And your DD isn't actually delayed on any of the milestones you mentioned.  She may be on the later side of normal, but still normal.  And just tell your mom to shut her hole and if there is a concern your doctor will help you out.  

As far as helping her, just talk to her as much as you can.  As you're out walking with her or driving around, describe the random stuff you see ie... doggie, tree, big car, pretty flowers.  Talk till you're blue in the face.  Also, try to talk at her so she sees your face moving whenever you can.  Get close to her so she can even touch your face while you're talking.  Read books as much as you can.  When you hand her stuff like water or milk or food, try to get her to repeat what it is before you give it to her.  Don't turn it into a battle, just say "water" then wait a few seconds before giving it to her to give her a chance to repeat it.   

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"