August 2013 Moms

am I being unreasonable?

We just had our shower on Sunday, and it was wonderful.  One of the items we received was a brand new high chair.  

This weekend, I am throwing a birthday BBQ for DH at our house, and his sister and our two nephews (ages 1 and 3) are coming.  DH asked if we could set up the high chair and let them use it at the BBQ.  I kind of don't want to do that.  I want the high chair to be completely new and clean for when our LO arrives.  He seems annoyed at me, and honestly I am not sure if I am being unreasonable or not.  So in your opinions, am I being silly?  Should I just let them use it?

After 1.5 years TTC, IUI #2= BFP 12/2/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"And the dream that you dare to dream really do come true"

Re: am I being unreasonable?

• Honestly I think I would feel like you. It would be different if your baby had used it at least once or twice before. It probably is unreasonable, but I don't blame you at all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC since July 2011
    HSG normal in May 2012 followed by three unmonitored clomid cycles unsuccessful
    Unexplained female infertility (My husband apparently has super sperm)
    IUI # 1 Nov 24
    BFP Dec 8! EDD Aug 17th, due to Preeclampsia and HELLP, Kylie Penelope was born July 30th!

• I personally don't see the issue with letting them use it. Its there, it might make feeding the toddlers a bit easier and your not going to be using it at the time...
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I am really really weird about using gifts before the occasion they were "meant" for.   We didn't use ANY shower or wedding presents until after the wedding and we didn't use any baby gifts until the baby arrived.  So I would have an issue with that and would probably see if I could borrow one from a friend for them to use.  But I am weird like that :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would totallly feel the same way as you... but I'd probably also cave and let them use it.

• Nope I would feel the same way. Do they not own a high chair?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • imageashleyamberRN:
    Honestly I think I would feel like you. It would be different if your baby had used it at least once or twice before. It probably is unreasonable, but I don't blame you at all.

Yeah, I mean if this was not my first, and I had already used it with other kids, or even as you say, if our LO was here and had used it...but something about him (our son) not being the first to use it...

• I probably would feel the same way. I couldn't imagine using any of LO's things before he got here.
    imageimageimageimage

• Since we won't need the high chair for a number of months, we left ours in the box for easy storage. I would just do that, then there is no argument. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • No, you are not being silly. I personally wouldn't let them use it. Especially if its a BBQ lol!

• I totally understand where you are coming from, but I would let them use the high chair. Look at it this way, you'd get some practice setting it up and cleaning it.
    "The cleaning, the scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
    For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So, quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
  • imagelindsey61811:
    Nope I would feel the same way. Do they not own a high chair?

They do, but the BBQ is at our house...maybe the have another kind of child seat the can bring though, thats a good point. 

• I understand and don't think you are being unreasonable.  I don't really see a big deal in them using it, but I get that you want to save it for your LO. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I think you're being silly.

ETA: Now if your family member demanded that you open the high chair then I would think you aren't being unreasonable. Your husband offering was a nice gesture and very helpful. Or maybe you plan on lugging your high chair every where so you don't have to borrow one.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • imageMillie1984:

imagelindsey61811:
    Nope I would feel the same way. Do they not own a high chair?

They do, but the BBQ is at our house...maybe the have another kind of child seat the can bring though, thats a good point.&nbsp;

Ya I mean I'm a FTM so no personal experience here but I'm not familiar with family events where people bringing kids expect the host to supply child friendly seating! I'm sure your DH is just trying to be nice and is excited to use one of your baby items, but you are totally right for not wanting to get it dirty already.

• I think you are being ridiculous.  They are your nephews for christ sake.  
  • I am definitely on your side! I wouldn't want anyone to use it before my LO.
  • imagemonkeybutt61612:
    I think you are being ridiculous.  They are your nephews for christ sake.  
    Yes
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I think it is a little silly but I would honestly feel the same way.  Is it already set up or still in the box? If its still in the box I might say "DH, we dont even need this chair until LO is 6 months old--I would really prefer to keep it in the box and stored until then" If its out of the box, you may just want to let them use it.

FWIW, I never go anywhere expecting to have child-friendly seating available, whether the host has children or not.

• I totally get where you are coming from. I might say, we haven't decided for sure we are going to keep it, just trying to make sure we like it and have room and you don't want to open it yet, just in case:) haha. 
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

• imagemonkeybutt61612:
    I think you are being ridiculous. nbsp;They are your nephews for christ sake. nbsp;

Sure they are her nephews. But it's not her responsibility to provide child friendly seating. It's the parents responsibility. She only has the high chair because she's pregnant, so what if she didn't happen to have a brand new high chair?

• imagemagdalina.h:

I think you're being silly.

ETA: Now if your family member demanded that you open the high chair then I would think you aren't being unreasonable. Your husband offering was a nice gesture and very helpful. Or maybe you plan on lugging your high chair every where so you don't have to borrow one.

This.

The *only* caveat I would have is that H clean the heck out of that thing when its done, because its going to sit unused for several months and you don't want anything secretly growing on it.

image image

• Andplusso, are you not buying a single thing used? I know a ton of people here have scored used strollers/high chairs/etc,  its no different.
    image image

• tdmklmtdmklm member
    If I got a gift, I wouldn't want someone else to use it before me. Same for my kid.

They should have other alternatives anyway... What do they do when they go to a place where a high chair is not available? We have a collapsible one we take everywhere for our LO. It stays in the trunk.
  • imagelindsey61811:
    imagemonkeybutt61612:
    I think you are being ridiculous. nbsp;They are your nephews for christ sake. nbsp;
    Sure they are her nephews. But it's not her responsibility to provide child friendly seating. It's the parents responsibility. She only has the high chair because she's pregnant, so what if she didn't happen to have a brand new high chair?

Disagree. It is a host's responsibility to provide seating for guests. Would you say it was an elderly or disabled guest's responsibility to bring seating that could accommodate him/her? Now, that doesn't mean that OP necessarily needs to open her new present for the kids, but it is really not a guest's responsibility to provide his/her own seating when invited to a home.

OP, I understand where you're coming from. It's your new thing! And it's a pain to take it out of the box and all that.

But if it were me, I'd use it. Mostly for practical reasons. A toddler in a high chair is a toddler who is not smearing BBQ sauce on your couch.

• I wouldn't let them use it. Besides, if you didn't have your shower on Sunday (or receive a high chair) what would they use? I would stand my ground. No one is using my child's items before him.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• imageAndreaVilla:
    Dang!! I would kind of feel the same way. I would want it not to be used. But....I think you should totally let them use it then just clean really good. You never know when you may need something from them.

This is how I feel as well.  DH's nephews are spending the week with us and his 23 month old nephew is sleeping in our brand new crib.  Part of me wanted our daughter to be the first one to use it but I understand why nephew needs to use it so I'm ok with it.

imageimage

Me 33 DH 36 Together 10 years, Married 5 years

TTC #1 since 8/2007 with MFI
    November 2012 - IVF w/ ICSI #1; 11/28/12 - ER 12 eggs! 11 fertilized! 12/3/12 - ET - transferred 1 AA Blastocyst
    Charlotte Hannah -born 8/13/13.
  • imageplunderb:

imagelindsey61811:
    imagemonkeybutt61612:

Disagree. It is a host's responsibility to provide seating for guests. Would you say it was an elderly or disabled guest's responsibility to bring seating that could accommodate him/her? Now, that doesn't mean that OP necessarily needs to open her new present for the kids, but it is really not a guest's responsibility to provide his/her own seating when invited to a home.

OP, I understand where you're coming from. It's your new thing! And it's a pain to take it out of the box and all that.

But if it were me, I'd use it. Mostly for practical reasons. A toddler in a high chair is a toddler who is not smearing BBQ sauce on your couch.

I get what you're saying. What if she didn't have the high chair though, is she supposed to go out and get a high chair to accommodate others children when they come over? That's the way I see it anyways, OP just do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

• imagecinderin:
    Since we won't need the high chair for a number of months, we left ours in the box for easy storage. I would just do that, then there is no argument. 
    This is what we did with DD's highchair. It was purchased for us when I was maybe 6 months pregnant. Knowing DD wouldn't be using it until she was 5 months or so we left it in the box. I would not have set it up just so someone could use it once at a party and then have it sit unused for months.

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12
  • imageplunderb:

imagelindsey61811:
    imagemonkeybutt61612:

I disagree, I would never expect someone who's hosting a BBQ and doesn't currently have children to have any child seating available and would plan accordingly, the same with elderly.  If special seating was required for them, that would be something that, I think, should be prepared for in advance or brought with you.  You can't honestly expect someone to keep a stockpile of appropriate things for children, elderly, and/or disabled individuals in their home just in the event that someone meeting those specifications might come by.  That is unreasonable.  

OP, I agree with you, I wouldn't want to use it.  What would they do if you had not had a high chair?

• imagelindsey61811:
    imageplunderb:

imagelindsey61811:
    imagemonkeybutt61612:

I get what you're saying. What if she didn't have the high chair though, is she supposed to go out and get a high chair to accommodate others children when they come over? That's the way I see it anyways, OP just do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

No, it isn't necessary to buy a high chair for young guests, but it is necessary to accommodate them in some way. Maybe that means eating picnic-style or using small stools at a low table. But it is rude to tell your guests to bring their own chairs, no matter their age (unless you're in a houswarming/no furniture situation, I suppose).

But it's important to remember that the person asking to use the chair is not the SIL ? it's her DH! He is the host and it's his birthday and he's trying to make an accommodation for his guests, which is what hosts are supposed to do.

• I prefer not to comment on whether you are being unreasonable or not. Your house, your rules.

Go buy a Fisher Price Healthy Care booster. They are wonderful to have. We started keeping one in the trunk for DS to use at events like this. He could sit in them starting around 7 months or so. They are easy to set up and clean!

I don't expect childless couples to keep high chairs assembled and ready for our use when invited to a BBQ.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• When I had a newborn the first time around my ILS came and brought our niece. They used DS's high chair without asking if it was ok, they just assumed. the child got the chair FILTHY and my SIL didn't clean it well when they left there was stuff dried in every nook and cranny. I was pissed. I know DS would do the same thing eventually but I felt disrespected that SIL didn't clean my new chair better.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imageplunderb:

No, it isn't necessary to buy a high chair for young guests, but it is necessary to accommodate them in some way. Maybe that means eating picnic-style or using small stools at a low table. But it is rude to tell your guests to bring their own chairs, no matter their age (unless you're in a houswarming/no furniture situation, I suppose).

But it's important to remember that the person asking to use the chair is not the SIL ? it's her DH! He is the host and it's his birthday and he's trying to make an accommodation for his guests, which is what hosts are supposed to do.

exactly this. If it was the guests insisting, I'd be put off. My H wanting to do it? Well the chair is half his, and I really don't have a legit reason to tell him no. 

image image

• We had friends visit and borrow our brand new car seat. Yeah, it got a little dirty but it's going to get a lot dirtier once one of the boys starts to use it.

No big deal to me and it made their lives easier w less gear to transport.

I've also let friends use a brand new pack n play before. Again, I had easily accessible and it was less gear for them to schlep.

• imagelkobriant:
    imageplunderb:

imagelindsey61811:
    imagemonkeybutt61612:

I disagree, I would never expect someone who's hosting a BBQ and doesn't currently have children to have any child seating available and would plan accordingly, the same with elderly.  If special seating was required for them, that would be something that, I think, should be prepared for in advance or brought with you.  You can't honestly expect someone to keep a stockpile of appropriate things for children, elderly, and/or disabled individuals in their home just in the event that someone meeting those specifications might come by.  That is unreasonable.  

OP, I agree with you, I wouldn't want to use it.  What would they do if you had not had a high chair?

It is not necessary to stockpile all possible types of seating. It is polite to make accommodations for your guests. For a toddler, that might mean floor seating, a booster seat, or a low-set "kids' table" of some sort. 

I would never, ever invite someone to my house and then say, "Oh, tough cookies, I forgot you can't climb stairs, so you have to sit outside while the rest of us eat inside." Plan for the comfort of your guests.

Plenty of people with specific seating issues do bring their own seating to events because they are used to being overlooked, but it sounds like OP's DH is just trying to be conscientious. Maybe everyone eating outside on a picnic blanket and folding chairs would work for all.

• I also wouldn't want another child using any of my DS' things before he gets here

• I don't think its unreasonable.  I would probably feel the same.

• I would not open up the high chair to be used by someone else.

If the chair was already open and set up, I wouldn't care. I have never once went to a party/bbq at a persons house, and expected them to accommodate a high chair.

• I guess I'm the odd one out here? My nephew comes over quite a bit, and he uses almost everything. Haha! We used our new stroller to take him to a car show downtown, and I give him all LO's toys to play with. I've put him in my ring sling, and loaned SIL some of my blankets and burp rags while they've visited. He's my nephew! I love him so much, andplusalso, I just really like to use my baby things. :) I know my brother and SIL would have no hesitations to share things with me.

• I would feel the same as you, esp. because of how dirty high chairs can become so quickly. I would never expect people to have special seating for my DD. We have a portable booster seat we take with us when we're going somewhere else. To be honest, there are also a bunch of kinds of high chairs I wouldn't put DD in because they're more reclined than she's ever been used to. If it's really a big deal and you can swing it, I'd consider a cheap booster or two, or a little outdoor table with small chairs--at least the 3 yr old could use it, AND you'd have it next time they visit. Personally, as a parent, I think it's on my to have any special seating my DD needs when I'm visiting, or plan to have her on my lap (or at least would have when she was smaller). She loves picnics on the ground though, so a blanket is all we'd need at this point :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"