July 2013 Moms

This is torture!

I'm at work and floating off my floor for the 4th work night in a row. Blech. I am currently sitting in a one to one, which means I am literally watching my only patient sleep. I got hardly any rest today bc DS1 was being noisy and kept waking me up so I am exhausted. It's too dark in here to do any homework and all I have to listen to is the sound of this man snoring.

To top it all off, I am sitting in the most uncomfortable chair ever, so my butt is falling asleep. But I'm having some pretty uncomfortable contractions.

I need to go on leave.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: This is torture!

• Three and a half weeks. Gah!

• Can you request different work? Seems unfair they would give you a job like that so far along in pregnancy. Lack of sleep is horrible. Hope you can get thru until leave.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree, ask for another shift. You shouldn't have to go through this at this stage of pregnancy. I started my maternity leave today...it's great! So if can take off, do it!!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Gah! That stinks! I hope you can get some rest soon!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm at work right now too. I sit at a desk for 12 hours and it's horrible, I can't get comfortable. I usually love my night shift but it's become harder to sleeping during the day. I decided that I am starting my maternity leave next week, so only one more shift after tonight, woohoo!!! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Thank you, everyone! It's been a tough few weeks here. Not sure if it's the hospital or just me. Maybe I can catch my boss at some point and just have a talk with her. I hate asking for exceptions, but I don't see why they can't be a little more accommodating.

I'm surprised so many of you are up right now. Does everyone have insomnia?

• imagedanigirl7181:
    I'm at work right now too. I sit at a desk for 12 hours and it's horrible, I can't get comfortable. I usually love my night shift but it's become harder to sleeping during the day. I decided that I am starting my maternity leave next week, so only one more shift after tonight, woohoo!!!nbsp;

Sitting at a desk for 12 hr overnights sounds awful! I'm mostly on my feet for my shifts, and it's hard, but it keeps me awake and alert at least.

• imagevalstulas:
    Thank you, everyone! It's been a tough few weeks here. Not sure if it's the hospital or just me. Maybe I can catch my boss at some point and just have a talk with her. I hate asking for exceptions, but I don't see why they can't be a little more accommodating.

I'm surprised so many of you are up right now. Does everyone have insomnia?

I would hope that you can have this conversation with your boss and that they could accommodate you. That sounds icky.

And yes, insomnia. Also icky.
  • I'm so sorry! I don't know how you're staying awake.....

TTC #1 since 5/2010 dx: annovulatory 

RLP: 2/2012: normal HSG 3/2012: normal

BFP #1 7/20/11 M/C 7/25/11. BFP #2 11/29/11 M/C 12/21/11

I have two angel babies that I will see again one day

BFP #3 10/27/12 EDD: 7/6/13

Baby Emma arrived at 35 weeks by surprise on June 3rd, 2013!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #4: 5/23/14 EDD: 1/30/15  Emma's gonna be a big sister!

Beta #1 19DPO: 213 Beta #2 21DPO: 674

Pregnancy Ticker
  • MRadsMRads member
    I would talk to your boss. It couldn't hurt. I'm surprised they don't have you on modified duties already, but I don't know a ton about nurses. I hope the next few weeks fly by for you.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • imagevalstulas:
    imagedanigirl7181:
    I'm at work right now too. I sit at a desk for 12 hours and it's horrible, I can't get comfortable. I usually love my night shift but it's become harder to sleeping during the day. I decided that I am starting my maternity leave next week, so only one more shift after tonight, woohoo!!!nbsp;
    Sitting at a desk for 12 hr overnights sounds awful! I'm mostly on my feet for my shifts, and it's hard, but it keeps me awake and alert at least.

I watch the heart monitors, kind of boring but usually I have homework to keep me busy but took the summer off. I'm going for nursing =) I don't know how you are on your feet all night, my ankles are so swollen by the end of the night its unbelievable. 

• Not advice, but that sounds pretty miserable. I'm sorry...hope the night started to go by a little faster for you.
  • imagedanigirl7181:

imagevalstulas:
    imagedanigirl7181:

I watch the heart monitors, kind of boring but usually I have homework to keep me busy but took the summer off. I'm going for nursing =) I don't know how you are on your feet all night, my ankles are so swollen by the end of the night its unbelievable. 

My old floor is tele equipped. They are only "soft tele" and tele overflow, though. Pretty cool you guys have a designated person for that. ICU sees their monitors and calls if there seems to be trouble, but there are definitely times that it would be nice to have someone to watch them and silence them when they have someone in a really funky rhythm.

Good for you for going to school for nursing! That will keep you busy for sure. Do you know what field you want to go into?

• imageAsbromle:
    Not advice, but that sounds pretty miserable. I'm sorry...hope the night started to go by a little faster for you.

It did this morning, finally. I have a pretty high acuity patient. Lots of lines, tubes, dressings, meds, etc., so my morning was pretty busy. I just had to get over the hump. Half an hour to go! I'm in the home stretch now, baby!!!

• imagevalstulas:
    imagedanigirl7181:

imagevalstulas:
    imagedanigirl7181:

My old floor is tele equipped. They are only "soft tele" and tele overflow, though. Pretty cool you guys have a designated person for that. ICU sees their monitors and calls if there seems to be trouble, but there are definitely times that it would be nice to have someone to watch them and silence them when they have someone in a really funky rhythm. Good for you for going to school for nursing! That will keep you busy for sure. Do you know what field you want to go into?

There are actually two of us watching tele. Im watching 25 pts and my coworker is watching 28, we can each have up to 48 people of tele. I can't imagine if nursies had to watch their own, it goes off for the slightest bit of artifact.

Not sure what field I want to go into, I technically work on heart care and would be able to get a nursing job here, which I think I will do for a couple years because it will be good critical experience. Then I'm not sure what I will do. That's why I decided on nursing there are so many options. I've thought about being a traveling nurse, they do pretty well. What field are you in?

• I'm sure this is a bit late but I know exactly how you feel!!!! I did that about a month ago I had just started getting nauseated again all night and the lady slept the whole night. After 2 hours I was like hey, this lady is fine, I'm leaving lol! Because the unit I work on normally has five 1:1s at a time and this lady was nothing compared to us!
  • Oh misery! Every time I see the one to one sitters I think what a miserable job that must be. Maybe they figured it would keep you off your feet? Hang in there! The end is in sight!
    Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I understand! I used to do patient sitting at a hospital pt. It was horrible. At least youre not in a mrsa or cdiff room where you have to wear protective gear the whole time you watch them sleep.
  • atlvolatlvol member
    I hope that you get some rest soon and that your boss will modify some of your duties at work!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"