February 2013 Moms

pedi visit/vaccination story

So, Newbie had his 4 mo check-up and they ask all the annoying questions at first.  The nurse gave me the side eye for -bedsharing  -sleeping on side -breastfeeding at night  -not counting feedings and wet/dirty diapers   I kind of already wanted to give her the finger by the time she left for her snide comments. ;) 

Doctor came in.  She also did all of the above things with her own kids. :)  Recommended delaying solids until 7 mo and mentioned BLW.  LOVE her!!

The grumpy nurse comes back for vaccinations.  At this point I suddenly remember this nurse and how I said she would NEVER give my kid shots again!  She gave them to DS1 once before. She pulls the baby (my tiny 4 mo old) to the end of the table (which hits me right under my boobs and she isn't much taller) and with his little spine curved half off the table, sticks his legs between hers (like in her crotch!)  This is how she holds kids to give shots!!  Their legs are straight out and tensed up with their little backs on the edge of the table! (It's wooden too, with a puffy leather center.)

I scooped my baby up after freeing him (he had red marks on his legs!) and told her that I didn't like that method and he would get shots laying on the table.  She told me that was how she gave shots and didn't know another way.  I told her, "I'm not trying to be rude or mean, but if you can't, then please find someone else to do it."  She yelled "Are you SERIOUS?!" and literally stomped out the door.  A cheery nurse came in and gave him his shots after that. 

So, my question is, have you ever seen this shot holding method before??  And would you say something about it to the pedi next time?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: pedi visit/vaccination story

• I just find it odd that the nurse gives the shots. In my office, it is always the doctor.

But I always have to restrain my child's arms while the doctor restrains the one leg that she is giving the shot to. With my older LO, I remember a few times where I sat in the chair with her in my lap...between the legs facing the doctor....again holding the arms.

With babies you cannot tell them to be still. They have to be restrained for their safety to give the vaccines.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My office always brings in a second nurse. it's 3 pokes and an oral, both nurses take a leg and do a tandem poke, and one nurse gets a bandaid on her side and passes the bandaid after the other nurse gives her second shot. They just have him lay on the table on his back and each have a hand on a knee to give their shot in the thigh, and have me stand by his head holding/playing with his hands.

Her reaction is enough for me. I would refuse that nurse from here on out and would make a point to CALL and say so to the office manager and let the ped know. Is it possible it was a bad day? Sure. But it's still not okay to behave like that in a professional setting. I'm a little particular about my medical team (for me, personally, nevermind for the gremlin), but her reaction to you asking her not to do it like that and to get someone else that knew a different way = flag in my book, and a last strike.

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never heard or seen of it being done that way.  Our nurses just lie him on the table; one holds him down, the other gives the shots.  I don't look too closely because I get light-headed if I do...such a wussy mommy.

Clearly, if another nurse came in and did it differently, there are alternative methods to her system.  I'd definitely talk to your pedi before your next appointment and just let her know you'd prefer that woman to not being your nurse any longer.  I think you can explain it in a way that doesn't get her in trouble (unless you want to), but you should definitely be comfortable with the way your LO is treated and handled, especially at his doctor's office.

• Since we split out all of DD's 2 month shots, we've probably had every nurse in the practice and not one did it that way. They all have get lay in the middle of the table and I hold onto DD's arms while they stick her leg, and they're all really nice about it. I have actually known one of them since we were about 5 or 6 years old, we went to elementary school together, and the first time she have DD a shot, she apologized to her and was like, "please don't hate me!!!"

Only thing I ever got the side eye from a nurse in was when I said I was waiting til six months for solids, but I figure she probably just wasn't aware of the new recommendations. Our pediatrician was fine with it, which is what really matters to us. If he wasn't aware of the change in recommendations THEN I'd be concerned.

• My pedi gives the shots, and when they're infants, they're on the table while she holds down the leg she's giving the shot to and I restrain the arms. When they're slightly older, they sit in mom's (or dad's) lap to be restrained. The way you're describing sounds really awkward. I'm glad you stood up for yourself and asked for someone else. I also suggest that you complain about her attitude to the pedi and/or office manager. Chances are it won't be the first complaint. And in the future when making appointments, you can specifically request that she not attend your children.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• I can't remember the two month shots (think I was too traumatized lol) but at the four month appointment the nurse let me hold him. I really appreciated that!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• At my doctor's office the LNA's give the shots. DS lies on the table. Two LNA's to do it at the same time (sort of like ear piercing for kids, haha). They each stand on either side, ready the materials, and count to three.  They use onehand to hold his leg, and the other to stick him.  Then he gets both legs done at once. One LNA does two, and she must be doing it a long time because she had jabbed him twice before I even saw her pick the second needle up. I get to stand at the head of the table and hold DS' hands and stroke his head. I'd rather him just get it all over it than prolong it with three separate pricks, so I like the method. 

However, if anyone had looked at me like that or spoken to me like that nurse did, I don't care if she was giving him a band-aid, I would ask for someone else. I don't want someone taking their bad attitude against me out on LO. 

• Ours is usually one nurse. Baby lays on the table, she cleans the leg, and gives the shot. I am sure there are different ways to give shots, though. It probably has to do with how the person giving the shots feels comfortable. I don't think the nurse would try to hurt your baby. I also don't think the nurse would be working there if she were (I would think a lot of parents would have complained...). I would rather the nurse do it how he/she feels comfortable rather than trying a different way and messing up.
    imageimageimage
  • imageTeacher Clark:
    I've always had nurses pull them to the end of the table and bend their legs at the knee off the end of the table. They use their own bodies to pin their legs against the table. So the kid is laying on the table all the way down to their knees. It makes sense to me. They're squirmy.

This is how ours go. They do the oral with us holding her first, Then on to this method so daddy and I can both be in her line of site. The nurses are always really fast and I scoop her up the second they are done. I would seriously discuss that despicable behavior with your pedi. There is no reason a nurse should be that much of a b*tch about a baby. If she has been this awful to you you can bet your butt she's done it to others.
  • pinkyppinkyp member
    imageDublinMama:

DS lies on the table. Two LNA's to do it at the same time (sort of like ear piercing for kids, haha). They each stand on either side, ready the materials, and count to three.  They use onehand to hold his leg, and the other to stick him.  Then he gets both legs done at once.

That's how ours does too. So the kid only cries once :(

• We just did the 4 month shots yesterday.  Our nurses have us lay her down on the table, and one of us parents then hold her little legs still while the 2 nurses give her shots at the same time, then one nurse gives the third shot right after that.  They have us hold her legs so she doesn't pull them back, but no one pins her to the table or has her hang off the table.
  • imagesecondaryPULSE:

imagedowntown80:
    I just find it odd that the nurse gives the shots. In my office, it is always the doctor.

lol.

I'm an RN, and I think I've seen a doctor give a vaccine a total of 0 times. I've actually only seen them give shots as a part of a procedure (numbing medicine).

I have given hundreds of vaccines, including to small babies. I've always just enlisted the help of the parents. I have them sit on parents' lap with parents restraining the arms. I restrain the leg and give the shot. While babies are squirmy, I think if you put them on their back in an unfamiliar environment, they're going to squirm more.

Same here. I always think it's weird when people say their doctors give shots or medications/vaccines of any kind, because I have NEVER seen that with two exceptions: numbing meds as you described, and the anesthesiologists giving sedation/meds in the OR.

My mom has always been with me for DD's shots. The nurse has DD on her back, and tells my mom to hold her legs down and me to hold her hands. Pitter, I wouldn't want a nurse to have my baby in that kind of position either. That sounds incredibly uncomfortable for the baby. And her attitude was absolutely horrendous! I'd complain and she wouldn't be touching my kid ever again.

PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• I've had some nurses do that before.  All of them seem to do it differently.  My kids have never been bothered by the legs off the end of the table, but if yours are, you have every right to ask to do it differently.  I've asked nurses to let me hold my child during shots since she was sleeping and I didn't want to wake her.  They were fine with it.  I've also asked them if I could hold them while they are awake.  Just depends on what my kid needs that day.

I would tell the doc that you don't feel comfortable with that nurse at your next visit and just go from there.

ETA - Yes, children need restrained, but there are other ways to do it.  Some nurses have asked me to help before, so I hold down their legs and the nurse gives the shot.  My kids get to lie comfortably on the table that way and I can hang over them and smile/make faces to make it all a little less scary.

• our doctor also gives baby the shots directly herself. she asks how we want to do it. with baby on the table and me comforting him, or with me holding him during, or i could feed him during if i wanted to, etc. she also can give two shots with one hand at a time. for what it's worth, it's over really quickly and doesn't seem very traumatizing for the baby. there's no restraining or roughness involved. the office i go to doesn't have nurses, really. they have doctor's assistants that come in and do the weights/measurements and enter them in the computer and then the doctor (they also employ NPs that have the same exact duties as the doctor and take their own appointments) or NP does all the hands on examination stuff (eyes/ears/mouth/heart/feeling the abdomen, checking diaper area), asks all the questions, and administers any vaccinations. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • That is bizarre. Yes, I would say something to the pedi and I would have taken my baby away from that nurse too. 

My daughter gets her shots laying normally on the table with me right beside her. The last time the nurse gave her a little squeaky rubber giraffe that she could keep to help distract her. 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• emd886emd886 member
    I've never heard or seen of that method and I would have been pissed at the nurses reaction. I would've waited to see the doctor again before leaving and let him know about the incident and have it noted in your file not to have that nurse again. Her response was so rude and unprofessional.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"