January 2013 Moms
Options

"Fat Baby" Comments....

Anyone else get annoyed or just plain angry if/when people call their baby fat? My son is not quite 5 months, he is FF, unfortunately I couldn't produce enough, I was heart broken over it, and I know babies who are FF are going to be slightly heavier than BF babies but my son is not huge! He's not covered in rolls, he has cheeks, and thighs, he's a baby... he's going to. Anyways I am so sick of people saying "Oh my goodness what a Fat Baby!!" WTH! Or comparing him to a child his age or older and saying how huge he is compared to them. It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong even though he is completely healthy, happy, and within the 50th- 75th percentile for his weight. I'm from the south and the older women are notorious for doing this, I just can't stand it, I think it is so rude. Anyone else have this issue and how do you handle the comments?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: "Fat Baby" Comments....

• Options
    DD gets BM and she is super plumpy... people call her the state puff man, Michelin man.... i pay no attention
  • Options
    No advice, but I just want to say that my son is EBF and he's been in the 90th percentile since 3 months so its not just FF babies that get the fat baby comments
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I haven't dealt with fat baby comments but when DS was a little younger I dealt with a LOT of, "He's so small!" comments. Was I feeding him enough? Maybe I should give him formula or cereal. Ugh! So annoying.I would just say that he's tall and skinny like his daddy and move on. It always kinda bugged me a bit, especially one woman who (after I told her the tall thing) lifted the blanket off his lap to look at his legs as if I was lying.

Now that he's getting so much taller and starting to kinda fill out to match it I'm getting the exact opposite.... "How old is he? 7-9 months? 5 months! Wow! He's going to be a basketball player!" Not as annoying because there's no unwanted advice tagged to it, but still come on people... every baby grows at a different pace. FF or BF every baby is different.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with with these comments. My best advice is to try to just shrug it off. People making comments either had babies that grew differently than yours or are just plain rude.

• Options
    I never say anything to them, I'm always polite, but my husband's grandmother is the worst! She cannot say anything nice, anytime he talks to her all she says is how fat he is, and how big his cheeks are, and it just gets under my skin, plus my husband keeps nagging her to come visit us and stay with us one weekend... she's going to drive me crazy. 
  • Options
    I get those comments a lot, my DDs BF and in the 95th percentile for weight. She'll be 5mnths on Monday. I don't let the comments bother me. The only time they bother me is when they're from my sister, that's just cause she's mean. I don't take the comments other people make in a bad way. Most people like chunky babies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Some days we hear, "He's so fat."

Some days we hear, "He's so tiny."

I think that unless you are in the middle of it yourself, you have no idea what a normal range for babies look like.

• Options
    DS is in the 20th percentile and people call him fat/chubby/chunky all the time. When I tell them how old he is they think he's huge for his age. I just smile and nod.
  • Options
    I actually am the one calling DD fat all the time and EVERYONE says, "oh, she's just healthy" or "babies are supposed to be fat". Yeah, I know, and I never mean fat as a bad thing. Try not to let the comments bother you. Easier said than done, I know. I'm no good at it myself, but we can all get better with practice!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageTanda711:
    DS is in the 20th percentile and people call him fat/chubby/chunky all the time. When I tell them how old he is they think he's huge for his age. I just smile and nod.

I don't have this problem with DD, I say she's chubby all time but I mean it in a cute way like a baby should be.
    Everyone always says to me she's not chubby, but I've seen her finally get some chub so I'm excited about it cause I know she's really getting enough food. My dd is in the 33 for weight but the 60th for length. So I get a lot of comments about how big she is too, people think she's big for her age just because she has long legs when really, she's not at all
    People are stupid, they just say stuff to say it
  • Options
    People are just rude when it comes to making comments on things that are not their business. For some reason, people think they get a free pass to say whatever they want to pregnant women and babies. It drives me nuts! I constantly get comments from people about how small my son is. He is 15 lbs at 6 months, which I don't find to be that small, but all I hear from people is how tiny he is. Comments range from: Are you sure he is 6 months? He looks like a newborn. Is there something wrong with him? Was he premature? All I can tell people is that he is normal and healthy, but it does still hurt my feelings depending on who says it. Hang in there! Sometimes people just suck, in my opinion.
  • Options

That's rude.  Who says that?!  

DD is a chunka and I love it.  DS was a skinny little thing.  They both have been FF and both have similar eating styles, which tends to be on the lower side of normal.  They're just built differently.  

Babies aren't fat.  They have adorable baby chub.  I'm angry at these people for you.

And FWIW, no one has called DD fat.  I would serious have to bust out a WTF on them if they did.  

If you don't want to WTF? them back (because, well, that's probably not the most polite thing ;) ) I think I would just say something like "yes, DS is healthy and perfect and we just love him to bits" and leave it at that.   

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your input, and I'm glad I'm not alone, I think that in this era, the word fat is such a degrogatory term, and I feel like as a new mom I'm always being judged, and I think as a mom I'm naturally going to be crazy defensive of my child. haha I personally would never say someone is fat, not even a child, that's how I was raised, that's why I was shocked and would cry when people would say how HUGE I was when I was pregnant. haha And if saying my son is fat is a compliment... good gracious he has beautiful blue eyes... compliment those. :D
  • Options
    ema10ema10 member

imageTanda711:

This. My baby is in the 40th percentile and I always hear how huge he is. I just smile and nod. I've come to realize people have no idea what they're talking about half the time.

• Options
    Actually it's not just FF babies. My EBF baby is a day shy of 5 months and HUGE! 97th percentile for weight and pushing 20 lbs. She has massive thunder thighs and rolls galore. I actually get tons of compliments on how cute the rolls are!

If anyone was to ever say what a chunk she was in a bad way I would make a big deal to say that she is HEALTHY and HAPPY and that's all that matters. If your LO is well fed then you're doing a good job. That's all that matters :
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just ignore.  People always comment on baby size, I don't know why I guess because it's easy.  My DS was big, but my DD is little.  I've heard so many comments for both, so you can't win either way.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I get similar comments, but I think our fat babies are gorgeous!  And baby fat really is different than fat in adulthood and plays (or at least played) an important function in infant survival.  No one thinks a skinny puppy or kitten is cute for a reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_adipose_tissue 

• Options

imageloreeann86:
    I get those comments a lot, my DDs BF and in the 95th percentile for weight. She'll be 5mnths on Monday. I don't let the comments bother me. The only time they bother me is when they're from my sister, that's just cause she's mean. I don't take the comments other people make in a bad way. Most people like chunky babies.

Those eyes!!! Your little girl is gorgeous! 

• Options
    I get the opposite. "She's so small!" and I tell them she was a preemie (which she was). They shut up. People are rude.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I honestly think these comments are meant to be complimentary! Fat babies are healthy babies! I'm so effing proud of the rolls my son sports. (He's EBF.) We were on a walk the other day and saw a girl at a park who was walking around and talking and I SWEAR my son is bigger than her. Why is this a bad thing? PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT SIZES! 

My brother's son is 5 months older than mine, and he is HUGE. He is solid, and he is already half the size of his tiny mother. I hope they haven't minded me commenting on his size because I think his largeness is AWESOME.

These are healthy babies who will start to slender-down once they start walking and crawling.  

Generally my response to those who say my baby is fat is, "I know! Look at these rolls! Aren't they adorable!?" 

• Options
    imageMichieU79:
    I think some people say this as a compliment, especiallynbsp;the older women. nbsp;I always take it that way anyhow...haha. nbsp; Maybe its the old hear what you want to hear thing but I always smile when someone says he is fat. nbsp;

Lurker here. I am from the south too. I take it as a term of endearment. Especially the old ladies. My son is FF too due to BF complications. His teachers at daycare call him porkchop. I don't mind, as long as they don't say it so much that he thinks that is his name. Once these babies start walking all that 'fat' will be gone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"