Stay at Home Moms

Every time I buy a day gown...

or a Jon-Jon for this baby, I think of you ladies.

Happy Monday everybody! How's your day going? 

Re: Every time I buy a day gown...

• imageletranger:
    Is there smocking?!? Lol that's a silly question you are in the south of course there is.

It's the South...love smocking, hate gay marriage.  

Well, only one of those things is true for me.

I haven't bought anything smocked yet, but it will come I'm sure. I'm having a Christmas daygown made for his newborn pictures.  

• Loading the player...
  • imageletranger:
    I have a friend from the south only reason I know this stuff.

It's so common here, I'm still shocked when somebody doesn't know what it is. Yes, us Southern women put our boys in dresses.  

• imageKateMW:

imageletranger:

It's so common here, I'm still shocked when somebody doesn't know what it is. Yes, us Southern women put our boys in dresses.  

I live down here too (Alabama even) and I never have seen a boy in a day gown. I did put him in a gown for his baptism. And I put him in gowns to sleep in still he started to sleep through the night

I do love Jon-Jon's though and smocked

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLoriLee14:
    imageKateMW:

imageletranger:

I live down here too (Alabama even) and I never have seen a boy in a dress. I did put him in a gown for his baptism. And I put him in gowns to sleep in still he started to sleep through the night

It's very popular in my area. What part of the state do you live in? {We're neighbors!} Of course you put him in a gown for a baptism, what else would be wear? LOL

I bought this today, I figure he'll wear daygowns until he's about 4-5 mo. old? That's what most of my friends seem to do. https://www.grammies-attic.com/feltman-brothers-pale-blue-pintucked-daygown-with-white-embroidered-snowmen.html 

• imageKateMW:
    imageLoriLee14:
    imageKateMW:

imageletranger:

I live down here too (Alabama even) and I never have seen a boy in a dress. I did put him in a gown for his baptism. And I put him in gowns to sleep in still he started to sleep through the night

It's very popular in my area. What part of the state do you live in? {We're neighbors!} Of course you put him in a gown for a baptism, what else would be wear? LOL

I bought this today, I figure he'll wear daygowns until he's about 4-5 mo. old? That's what most of my friends seem to do. https://www.grammies-attic.com/feltman-brothers-pale-blue-pintucked-daygown-with-white-embroidered-snowmen.html 

I grew up in between Bham and Auburn and now I live in south Alabama near Mobile

I don't know how long you will want to keep him in gowns. I had a spring (April) baby and onesies were all I did for a while. shorts or pants if we went outside.He would pee and poop and spit up and I would just change the onesie and keep going. Being in gowns does make diaper changing easier

• I'm surprised you've never seen them honestly. Mobile is fairly traditional, at least the people I know from there. 
  • imageKateMW:

This is a day gown that is smocked. Where do you live?

https://adressmakersdaughter.blogspot.com/2012/07/a-baby-boy-daygown.html 

I live in the northeast and I have never even seen a baby in something like this. I didn't know it was a style honestly.

where do you wear a gown to..is it like to a party or just hanging around the house?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKC_13:
    imageKateMW:

This is a day gown that is smocked. Where do you live?

https://adressmakersdaughter.blogspot.com/2012/07/a-baby-boy-daygown.html 

I live in the northeast and I have never even seen a baby in something like this. I didn't know it was a style honestly.

where do you wear a gown to..is it like to a party or just hanging around the house?

They wear them like clothes. I'd say 3-4 mo. when there are a lot of diaper changes, etc.  It's not fancy like a typical girl's dress. It's like a long shirt and no pants. :)

• I had no idea these were a thing until this thread...but I'm from Michigan.  I think they are super cute and practical.  
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• imageKateMW:
    I'm surprised you've never seen them honestly. Mobile is fairly traditional, at least the people I know from there. 

No, Or I just don't remember when I lived over there. I even worked at a church in the nursery. The worst outfit though is where the shorts have buttons on them so you can button them to the matching shirt (not sure what style they are called). Those are the worst for a diaper change and I swore that my son would never wear one. (and he hasn't either)

• imageKateMW:

imageletranger:
    Is there smocking?!? Lol that's a silly question you are in the south of course there is.

It's the South...love smocking, hate gay marriage.  

Well, only one of those things is true for me.

I haven't bought anything smocked yet, but it will come I'm sure. I'm having a Christmas daygown made for his newborn pictures.  

I knew it. You are galque! Oh, wait, apparently that's me. 

Just say "no" to the jon-jons, Kate. Follow me into the light.

• I lived in New Orleans for 6 years, but I have never seen day gowns. Not in modern times anyway. Of course I never really dressed DS in anything remotely fancy. He got a few Feltman Brothers outfits that he never wore. He grew too fast.

I would probably not do the day gowns because I prefer stretchy cotton knits for my chunky, big headed babies, but I think they are very practical. Male and female babies used to wear long dresses until walking and shorter dresses until anywhere from 2 to 8. It's just practical for diapers and toilet use.

• Fascinating.  Never seen one either!
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • imagecjcouple:

I used these with my boys for a few weeks and LOVED them

I also put them in a christening gown that was a family heirloom.  My sister, myself, nieces and nephews and my boys all wore it.  It was breautiful. Had a slip, Gown, Coat, Boy hat and girl hat.  very traditional

Mine were more like this but he wore them mainly overnight. And always had him in a different outfit if someone was coming over or we were going out

• imagecjcouple:

I used these with my boys for a few weeks and LOVED them

I also put them in a christening gown that was a family heirloom.  My sister, myself, nieces and nephews and my boys all wore it.  It was breautiful. Had a slip, Gown, Coat, Boy hat and girl hat.  very traditional

I love those kind of gowns. DD worn them all the time. I've bought a couple so far for LO as well. LO will probably wear the same christening gown as DD did, as it has tatting that my grandmother made before she died and the slip has DD's monogram and birth date hand embroidered on it with the thought that everybody who wore it will have the same thing done. 

• imagecjcouple:
    imageKateMW:

LO will probably wear the same christening gown as DD did, as it has tatting that my grandmother made before she died and the slip has DD's monogram and birth date hand embroidered on it with the thought that everybody who wore it will have the same thing done. 

that is so special and sweet.

I had the gown made when I was pregnant with DD after having the tatting for years. My grandmother made all different kids with the idea I would have a gown made with it. I love it. 

• imageJellyBellyStar:
    Deep South here.... I've only seen this type of outfit worn in baptisms. It seems unique to me to wear it daily.

I feel the need to point out that the ones I'm talking about aren't long like christening gowns, but basically long shirts.  

• I do not live in the south but I love smocking and Jon Jon's. dS had some and people made fun of me for putting him in them. Never heard of day dresses though. Or tatting...gonna have to google that.

• imagenonasimonsen:
    Jon Jon's I can get in board with, esp with a cute appliqu on the front.... But day gowns for boys....I can't.

I much rather put a day gown on a baby boy than clothes that make him look 30. I hate big kid clothes on babies. I know that makes me odd, but I can't stand tshirts with sayings, shorts, ties, that kind of thing. Ugh. I have a friend who didn't put any sort of pants that buttoned on her boys until they were 4. They wore pull on pants, shorts, jonjons, etc. until then. 

• imagenonasimonsen:
    Jon Jon's I can get in board with, esp with a cute applique on the front.... But day gowns for boys....I can't.

Ditto.

Never heard of day gowns until this thread. And I'm sorry, but it just makes me want to laugh. It's not even something I'd put on a baby girl for everyday. We are a onesie loving family for at home until 4ish months. Or if it's warm, absolutely nothing because we are lazy.

My opinion on day gowns (obviously just formed because I've never heard of them) is that they are utterly ridiculous. 
  • Oh I wasn't really asking for opinions on if you liked them or not. Don't worry. Smile I'm not and never have been a onesie person. DD wore dresses all the time when she was a baby and still does in fact. I hate the snapping and unsnapping. Now that's lazy!
  • I never used onesies either (out of necessity. Damn RA) and DS survived just fine :) I already have tons of dresses and diaper covers ready to go for DD. 

• imageQueSyrah:
    I do not live in the south but I love smocking and Jon Jon's. dS had some and people made fun of me for putting him in them. Never heard of day dresses though. Or tatting...gonna have to google that.

I also love smocking and Jon Jons.  They are impossible to find in Michigan, though.  Luckily, my mom knows how to sew and smock, so she was able to satisfy my need to put DS in smocked clothing :-) 

• Oh Kate shaking my head! I am buying you onesies and kaki pants for that baby!
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    Oh Kate shaking my head! I am buying you onesies and kaki pants for that baby!

The horror!!!!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"