Breastfeeding

Obamacare - Insurance-covered Breast Pump

I read that due to Obamacare all insurance should cover a breast pump or pump rental starting January 1, 2013.  I called my insurance, Signature Care, and they said that our plan is "grandfathered in" and therefore doesn't have to cover a breast pump.  Does anyone know about the validity of this?  Is there anyway I can fight this?  Thanks for your help.    
Jackson Allen ? 10.1.11 ?
{Raising Jack}
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Obamacare - Insurance-covered Breast Pump

• I have heard of this but don't know to much about it.  Sorry, maybe they will cover a rental.
    Confirmed Pregnancy 9/18/2010 M/C 10/27/2010 BLIGHTED OVUM 10/2011 - HSG 2 blocked tubes 11/4/2011 - Lap Surgery - Extensive tubal disease (tubes opened) 1/3/12 - Repeat HSG (L tube open, R tube blocked) 1/15/12 - R tube removed Started Stim Injections 2/17/12 Follistim 300iu and Low Dose HCG 10 units Trigger - 2/25/12 ER 2/27/12 ET - 5 dt - 3/3/12 1 blast transferred 9 frosties BETA #1 - 626 :) Beta #2 - 2470 :) Beta #3 - 5470 3/29/12 - 6wks 3 days - no yolk sac, embie, or hb :( Blighted Ovum 8/3/12 - FET #1 1 flickering blast transferred 8/9/12 - POAS + 8/15/12 - Beta #1 1400 Beta #2 3200 8/20/12 - U/S 5 wks 1 day Yolk Sac seen 8/28/12 - 6wks 2 days - Heartbeat 116 9/4/12 - 7wks 3 days - HB 136 YAY! TEAM BLUE! Alex was born 4/15/13 5:09pm 6lb 10oz 20in!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageDstevens429:
    I have heard of this but don't know to much about it.  Sorry, maybe they will cover a rental.

Thanks!  They said they wouldn't cover a rental either.  :(

{Raising Jack}
  • Loading the player...
  • I think that there were some plans that didn't have to cover certain services until 2014. Maybe see if you can use an FSA to purchase it?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Try calling back and speaking to someone else. I have United. First time I called I was told they don't cover a pump. Called a few days later and YES they did cover a pump I even had several choices.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have bcbs Tennessee and was told they would cover the cost of a pump up to a whopping 25. I believe this will change in January as the policy will start a new year.
  • I was originally told the same thing (but I have Cigna), and then when I called later was told that it actually was covered and was able to get mine.  So it doesn't hurt to call again and see if you get a different answer!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • Sounds like hooey to me. I live in NYS and according to the nurses and lactation consultants I spoke with all (at least in NYS) are eligible for a pump. There is some discrepancy of what type of pump but either medicaid or ins. is required to cover one. 
    BFP #1 - Missed M/C, D&C 3.21.11

BFP #2 - Sylvie V. Q. born and died on 10.28.11 at 21w. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP #3 - Evie V. Q. Fetal demise @ 16w. DC 7.8.12
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP  #4 - Beatrix V. Q. Born 6.2.13 at 23w6d.

My blog My chart
  • I have BCBS in TX and was told that they only cover a manual pump.
  • It is true that certain provisions of the ACA do not apply to grandfathered plans until 2014. Can't say whether your plan is grandfathered or not. It couldn't hurt to call your insurance back and verify that, or talk to HR at your company to see if they can confirm whether your plan is grandfathered.
  • Shel79Shel79 member
    I was told basically the same thing by BCBS, and that they'd only cover a manual pump.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • TJ1979TJ1979 member
    imageTexasAggie06:
    I have BCBS in TX and was told that they only cover a manual pump.

I'd call back! I have Bcbs in tx too. With a rx from your dr you should be able to get a double electric.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to have my husband talk to HR about this. It sounds like they are grandfathered in until January 2014 according to the woman I spoke with today. I'll just call back again! :
    {Raising Jack}
  • snok83snok83 member
    Yeah unfortunately, I also have  BCBS and it is true.  When I called in to inquire about the breast pump, first thing they told me was that some companies were grandfathered in and not eligible for the free pump.  So they checked for my specific employer.  Luckily for me, my employer did cover it.  Both medical stores that offered the free pumps told me the same thing that some of the people with BCBS insurance were not eligible for the free pump and they doubled checked my plan to be sure before I could get it. 
  • It's not the insurance carrier that makes the difference it's the plan you have with the carrier which is why some people with BCBS of TN have it covered and some don't.

It is true that not all plans are giving free pumps but it can't hurt to call a few times to get different people to make sure you're getting correct information.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"