Health & Exercise

"Why are you excercising? You're having a baby...."

Anyone else get this question a lot? It shocks me how many times I have been asked why I am working out while pregnant. I used to run daily, but when I started cramping and spotting in the first trimester my OB told me to switch to walking. I walk anywhere from 45 to 60 minutes 3 to 4 times a week. When I was walking out of my work (we have a gym on our first floor which is wonderful), someone asked me "Why are you working out? You're having a baby soon..." I just laughed and said "Anything to help me feel less swollen." I was just wondering if anyone else is receiving these reactions.....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: "Why are you excercising? You're having a baby...."

• cjm724cjm724 member
    I get quite a few stares, points, and jaw drops when I go running with my basketball of a stomach.  I feel judged, but I don't care because I am staying healthy for me and my little girl. 
  • ajbookajbook member
    I get the looks too! Makes me feel motivated to keep surprising people.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic               
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • I worked out until the bitter end. I was at boot camp 3 days before I delivered. I got some pretty incredulous looks when I first started to show, then people got used to me there and started encouraging me. I had quite a few people thank me for keeping them accountable. They said if I could exercise in all my belly glory, they could certainly stick it out. 

Some people suck, but others will surprise you. Keep up the hard work and ignore the negative people. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • I just said it's easier to stay in shape now than get back into it after. Sometimes I felt the stares, but most people gave me a "way to go" vibe. I walked/elliptical/lifted weights until my last week. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a regular at 4:30 at the gym each morning during the school year, and those regulars know it's always been my routine, so I don't get any funky questions or stares from them. When I was teaching, I did have a couple students ask me about running while pregnant. They "had heard" that it wasn't good for the baby. They asked because I ran a St. Patrick's Day 7 k when I was about 12 weeks (?) or so. I thought it was a sweet reminder that a lot of misinformation floats around out there about what can and shouldn't be done during pregnancy. Stay active!

• I did HIIT training (think Insanity w/ weights) until the day I went into labor (my water broke right after class).  I never received that question.  In fact most people were amazed that I was still working out, gave me a lot of encouragement and compliments.  There's no hard evidence that working out during your pregnancy makes L&D easier, but FWIW I had a great one.  No c-section or tearing and I only pushed for 45 mins but felt like I could have pushed much longer (first baby).  I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I was in great shape for a pregnant woman (despite gaining way more weight than I'd hoped).  I also dropped all the weight (plus some) within 2-3 weeks.  

Keep it up!  I promise you won't look back and say "Wow, I really regret working out while pregnant." 

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Thanks girls!!! I feel sooooo much better when I hit the gym. Although I am starting to get tired, I have tried to keep up my routine as much as possible and I am sure that it will help during labor, and help me bounce back after. Boy do I miss running though..... I can't wait to get back to it!

• I actually taught my spin classes till I was 36 weeks! I only went on leave because I couldn't work my full time job PLUS that job because the hours are late. They were actually impressed! I inspired them! I told them I'm gonna beat them extra hard when I get back! 
    m/c #1 6/30/05 m/c #2 9/18/06 m/c #3 9/18/08 BFP 10/21/12....EDD 7/6/13....Praying this is my sticky baby. Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I plan to continue working out until my due date unless my doctor says otherwise.  Anyone who asks me that stupid question will get an earful.  They obviously have no idea what they are talking about
  • my doc told me to go back to the gym yesterday at my 20 week appt. Walking is just not cutting it for me, so back to my routine and screw anyone who cares. its doc recommended and good for baby! i just need to find ways to make the gym fun again. before prenancy i was running all the time and an avid gym goer, very tough routines and heavy weights. it just got uncomfortabe, so i slowed down. now i will just keep myself moving! 
  • I worked out through my entire pregnancy almost daily. I got mostly good feedback from friends, family and strangers. Those who gave me the "your weird and obsessed" bs can suck it. I think that's more of a reflection about how they feel about themselves and seeing a pregnant woman bust a move makes them have to examine their own excuses. I'm 5 months post baby and back to my pre preg fitness level, shape and weight.

Get after it girls! Your post pregnancy ass will thank you. Lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • JenBee74 said:
    I worked out through my entire pregnancy almost daily. I got mostly good feedback from friends, family and strangers. Those who gave me the "your weird and obsessed" bs can suck it. I think that's more of a reflection about how they feel about themselves and seeing a pregnant woman bust a move makes them have to examine their own excuses. I'm 5 months post baby and back to my pre preg fitness level, shape and weight. Get after it girls! Your post pregnancy ass will thank you. Lol
    I am hoping that I will bounce back like you! I am 26 lbs as far as my weight gain goes and I am at 38 weeks, 2 days.... I hear exercise makes your labor easier as well so I am hoping that holds true to my experience.

• Good for you! I taught spin until 33weeks. I received that I was inspiring to the class as well which was cool. It got uncomfortable for me after 33. 38weeks today and still able to swim 30 laps in the pool this AM. Keeps the swelling down and stretches me out.
  • Did any of you ladies have to scale back during the first trimester? I really want to keep running but between not keeping food down and the fatigue I am finding it impossible to get out there and take my dogs for their runs. I am hoping that after the first trimester I will be able to get back to it. 8 weeks pregnant now.
  • Did any of you ladies have to scale back during the first trimester? I really want to keep running but between not keeping food down and the fatigue I am finding it impossible to get out there and take my dogs for their runs. I am hoping that after the first trimester I will be able to get back to it. 8 weeks pregnant now.
    I still made sure I went to the gym each day just like I did before (I'm a 4:00am gym goer), but I did have to scale back on some things due to fatigue. My cardio was most changed in the first trimester due to my fatigue. It used to be that when I would be tired and start my run, I'd shake off the sleep and feel GREAT once I was midway through and then I'd feel energized at the end. In my first trimester, that was not the case. I just kept feeling tired. With that said, I believed that if I just stopped and waited for the second trimester to roll around, I'd lose out of the benefits of exercising to boost energy throughout pregnancy because it would negatively affect me when I'd try to restart weeks later in the second trimester. I highly recommend doing what you can even though you're tired. You'll need to be sure you're sleeping and getting the rest your body needs, but you'll be happy you maintained some consistency once you hit the second tri.

You're almost there! Best of luck!

• Just tell them that exercise during pg makes both mommies and babies healthier, which is true!
  • People are really supportive around me and say things like "wow that is amazing" "can't believe you can still do that". I feel bad for those of you who have others putting you down. Some people are just uneducated and behind the times.
  • This helps to hear, thanks ladies! We announced our pregnancy at 12 weeks at Thanksgiving, and it was mere minutes before someone asked why I was still running an upcoming 5K "in my condition." I feel great and completely empowered that I am still running and exercising during pregnancy! It was a great chance to spread the knowledge that prenatal exercise is ok (of course with my midwife's approval), whether that actually believed me or not! ha
  • That is crazy to ask "Why exercise".

I teach at my gym and have been still continuing to teach all my classes besides the really hard core class which I happily gave up until after.  It feels great to keep active!
  • mcfife09mcfife09 member
    edited December 2013
    I have had rough 1st trimesters where it was basically impossible to workout because I was so sick/tired whatever. But both pregnancies I came back to the gym for the 2nd tri and I picked up right where I left off. DON'T GIVE UP if the 1st trimester is tough, ease back into it, but don't quit all together.
  • I started my kickboxing routine today at 14wks. I left it to the side 1st trimester but was aching to start again. I still don't quite show so will be interesting when I do.
  • Crazy people.

Not only is exercise good for you (it can make labor and delivery easier too!), it's good for your baby too!

"Our results show that the babies born from the mothers who were physically active have a more mature cerebral activation, suggesting that their brains developed more rapidly."

• I get this more with food, as I am maintaining my fairly-healthy diet and just adding a few hundred calories, and when people see my meals or see me turn down sweets or seconds, they are shocked. "You're eating for two!" "Now's your chance to eat whatever you want!" A. I don't want to gain excess weight. B. I would much rather get calories from healthy sources!  Just because I am pregnant does not mean free-for-all.

• I was very active during pregnancy and my gym would sometimes post pics of me working out. In the beginning I found people's negative comments to be extremely annoying but also that most people were supportive. What I realized was the negative people were just uneducated about it and by the end of my pregnancy they were cheering me as well.
  • If you get looks for walking, i cant imagine what people think of me weight training! I was very muscular and fit before my dd and the dr gave me the ok to continue working out as long as i didnt overexert myself. I listened to my body and only used light weights. People would always make comments, but i bounced back from pregnancy so fast! I got my pre preg body back after just a few months and i truly believe exercise helped my labor go smoothly. Keep doing your thing girl! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I've heard people say "it's time to start thinking about the baby instead of yourself." Drives me nuts. I am living a healthy lifestyle, how is that not going to benefit the baby? It's not like I'm doing anything more than I did pre-pregnancy.
    Oh my gosh..how ironic! That is exactly what you're doing!! Thinking about the baby. Some people are woefully ignorant about the benefits of exercising while pregnant..
  • Hello, 

Getting body back after having a baby is never easy. But it's also not as hard as you might think.All new moms should start postpartum abdominal rehab by strengthening their deepest abdominal muscle, the Transverse Abdominis, or TvA. You gained your pregnancy weight gradually—over the course of nine months—so don't expect to lose it right away. While it's not uncommon to drop 10 pounds shortly after childbirth, the rest may come off more slowly. Not to mention, many women may not be able to return to their original routine right away, particularly if they have had a C-section. Remember, a C-section is major surgery. 

Have a nice day :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"