Breastfeeding
Options

Domperidone/Pumping/supply

My LO will be 7 months on Wednesday, we have been breastfeeding/supplying pumped milk while I am at work for the entire 7 months.

I barely pump enough to keep up with her - rarely do I get enough to freeze enough for a bottle.  Maybe every 2 weeks I accumulate enough surplus to freeze one 4 ounce bottle.

I am starting a new job on the 1st and will be unable to pump like I have been.  Right now I nurse AM, pump 11ish, nurse at noon, pump around 3 and nurse again at 5pm. 

In my new job, I will only be able to pump on the way to work after nursing (maybe 1 oz, based on experience), pump at noon, and pump again on the way home from work before picking her up.

I believe that I am going to have to start supplementing with formula, however I really would like to continue with just breastmilk. 

If I took domperidone, would that increase my supply enough to freeze extra for LO to have at daycare?

Based on experience, is my supply going to suffer for weekend feedings as well?

I have tried oatmeal, mothers milk tea, and brewer's yeast and nothing seems to help.

Any thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Domperidone/Pumping/supply

• Options

Domperidone works different for everyone. Some women said they saw results within a few days and I'm on day 17 and seeing the tiniest little increase. I also didn't yield fantastic results with oatmeal, fenugreek, more milk plus, mothers milk tea, blessed thistle, brewers yeast, etc. All I got was gas and tired of oatmeal. I'll be happy if I never see a bowl of oatmeal again. 

I supplement with formula anywhere from 2-10 oz a day for DD, just depends on what kind of day she's having. I got over it real fast when I saw her needs were being met and if my body is t capable of pumping out enough milk for her, formula was fine! Good luck to you. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

I've been using domperidone for a week now & I think I'm starting to see an increase but small (maybe 1 or 2 oz.) it's hard to say since I just had my period so that was most likely affecting output as well. I also started with the lowest dosage possible 30 mg, I have been slowly uppping it today I'm taking 80 mg and will see how much it helps.

It can take anywhere from a few days to 6 weeks to see a significant increase, everyone is different. I had no luck with fenugreek + blessed thistle, brewer's yeast, tea, etc. either and figured this would be my last attempt to get more milk.

Upon returning to work, I was only pumping 3 times a day and did fine until LO started preferring the bottle to nursing, that is where my supply took the biggest hit - I've been supplementing with formula for about 2 months now, he gets 8-16 oz. formula/day. So, you could be fine with that pumping schedule but will def. want to nurse as much as possible at night/weekends.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Domperidone was the only thing that worked for me.  Yes, I pumped enough to freeze after I started domperidone.  With my 1st LO, I had an extra 75 day supply frozen.  With my second LO, I had an extra 30 day supply frozen.
  • Options
    zzia15zzia15 member
    Thank you for the responses, I appreciate it.
  • Options
    I was having trouble pumping enough while at work and averaged 12 ounces/day between 45 sessions. I've been taking Domperidone for about 3 weeks and have been able to get 18 19 ounces in only 4 sessions/day. I've also noticed I am fuller in the evenings after LO has gone to bed so if I pump then I'll often get enough for almost a bottle.

I am really hoping to not have to use formula because of a history of severe allergies into family and I think I'll be able to because of Domperidone. I was initially taking 20 mg three times a day but have dropped to twice a day because I don't want to have to pump on my days off.

I had some increase with foods and herbs, but not enough to fully meet DDs needs without either pumping at least three extra times on my day off or dipping into my dwindling freezer stash. For me, the medicine is totally worth it and its about 50 for 2 months worth of pills, so cheaper than formula if you're able to produce and not need to supplement. It's worth a shot!

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    To piggyback off my previous post, you may want to think about waking up at night to add a pumping session after you've taken the meds, especially of you want to avoid formula.

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    zzia15zzia15 member

Your posts encouraged me to at least try it, I purchased some this morning.  Lets hope it works out!   I'll have to supplement at least the next week with formula (I don't have enough of a freezer stash), but hopefully after that I can be able to pump enough to give (if not exclusively) breastmilk again.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"