August 2013 Moms

Birth plans?

What are your birth plans? Are you planning on doing it naturally, having a scheduled C-Section, home birth etc? Just wanted to hear some other ladies birth plans!

Personally, I am planning a natural water birth. My hospital has a great facility that offers it, and I'm VERY excited to try it out! I've heard many good things about it.

Re: Birth plans?

• zora51zora51 member

That's neat your hospital offers that!! :)

I'm planning a natural birth.. possibly laboring in a tub (but don't want a water birth). Planning on med-free, and I don't want an IV in me. I'm having a Doula, and as I'm a Music Therapist, and would love to have Music Therapy-Assisted Childbirth, I'll be half-doing it myself, with my husband in charge of the actual music. I'll be in a hospital, but with a Nurse Midwife, and they're soo good at trying to let the woman do things on her own, naturally as much as possible. These are my plans; we'll see what happens. :) My Doula is also a midwife in training and is bring her home birth kit JUST in case when she meets us here at home, since my mom went SUPER quick with all of her kids (5).

• The Music Therapy-Assisted Childbirth sounds really fascinating!! 
    Zora51 - is this your first?

• Loading the player...
  • I am going to have LO in a birthing center and will be doing it natural if I can help at all. My 2nd was a natural birth so unless I stall I know I can do it.
    imageimageimageimage

• FTM here, but the plan/goal is to go med free. There is a birthing center across the street from my hospital, but my OB doesn't deliver over there. Something about too many patients having to be rushed back over for emergency c-sections (?). So the entire practice only delivers in hospital. But in every delivery room there is a Jacuzzi tub, birth ball and bar, etc. Plus, my OB is extremely supportive of anyone wanting to birth med-free.

• imagezora51:

I'm planning a natural birth.. possibly laboring in a tub (but don't want a water birth). Planning on med-free, and I don't want an IV in me. I'm having a Doula, and as I'm a Music Therapist, and would love to have Music Therapy-Assisted Childbirth, I'll be half-doing it myself, with my husband in charge of the actual music. 

Zora - super curious about what kinds of music you are selecting for your birth playlist. I am JUST starting to think about what I'd like to listen to and am having a hard time imagining what I'll be in the mood for during labor when I have never experienced it.

Music is a huge part of my life and I respond very emotionally to different kinds. I have read that music with soothing melodies is best and without vocals. Would love to get your expert opinion as I'm sure you've done some thinking/research on this in preparation.

Ever since I watched a live birth video and, horrified, right as the baby was crowning the song "Big Girls Don't Cry" by Fergie was playing in the background I've felt the strong urge to make a very curated playlist with lots of options for myself. 

• imagelydsyjane:
    What are your birth plans? Are you planning on doing it naturally, having a scheduled C-Section, home birth etc? Just wanted to hear some other ladies birth plans!

Personally, I am planning a natural water birth. My hospital has a great facility that offers it, and I'm VERY excited to try it out! I've heard many good things about it.

If all goes as we hope, I'll be having a natural/med-free birth in a stand alone birthing center attended by a team of 3 midwifes. There is a private shower and a large jacuzzi style tube that I plan to use to help with labor, but I don't plan to have a water birth.  

• My plan is to get baby out safe. I will try and go med free...If I can't epi it is.

DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Honestly my plan is to have a natural birth in the hospital with a midwife. But im also prepared to have a xsection or epi if needed. So i guess my birth plan is to be flexible
  • I am taking Hypnobabies classes and hope to use that method to have a med-free birth.   We have hired a doula team, and I'm really looking forward to working with them.

On some of the more nit-picky issues:  I'd prefer to tear naturally over an episiotomy.  I'd like to avoid pictocin, except as necessary to prevent bleeding after.  My hospital does not have tubs (except in the one handicap accessible L&D room), but do have showers and birthing balls in each room, so I plan to use those as much as possible.  My hospital does skin-to-skin contact for an hour as a matter of course, so we don't have to ask for/fight for that.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Due to the possibility of having to place shunts in my spine to drain spinal fluid, I think I am just going to plan on an epi so that the anesthesiologist has access to my spinal column should it be needed.

Other than that, highlights include: keep the placenta so I can encapsulate it, circumcision and intermittent monitoring unless medically indicated otherwise.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Epidural. My previous births were fabulous and I hope this one is too.

• I never thought of using a birth ball, but that actually sounds really nice especially if trying to go med free. I should definitely look into it, or ask if my hospital offers them to use!

As unpredictable as birth/labor is, I am actually kind of excited for it. It seems like it will be so empowering! I fully believe in letting our bodies do things the way nature intended, and I'm excited to rock this birth.

• Scheduled C-section.
    imageimage

Me 33 DH 36 Together 10 years, Married 5 years

TTC #1 since 8/2007 with MFI
    November 2012 - IVF w/ ICSI #1; 11/28/12 - ER 12 eggs! 11 fertilized! 12/3/12 - ET - transferred 1 AA Blastocyst
    Charlotte Hannah -born 8/13/13.
  • 1.) Go to hospital

2.) Get epidural

3.) Get baby out safely

4.) Nurse and skin-to-skin immediately 

5.) Get checked out as soon as they will allow me :) 

• I'd like to go naturally, and I've been doing the Hypnobabies course--but I have had three major spinal surgeries, and I accept that a walking epidural is likely in the cards.

We've hired a doula who's epidural-friendly, and we trust our doctor, so we feel pretty prepared.  

I'm planning to ask for the following:
    1. No pitocin. (Unless, of course, it becomes absolutely necessary--which applies to all of these requests).
    2.  No IV unless/until it becomes absolutely necessary.
    3.  No hospital gown--too many bad associations from all that back surgery. I'm going for a birthing gown.
    4.  No episiotomy.
    5.  No pushing on my back--my back surgeons won't allow it.  (Which is one of the reasons for the walking epidural, rather than the good one). 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • STM mom.

Assuming no placenta issues, my plan is to labor at home as long as possible and then head into LD. Last time I ate and showered prior to going in the hospital so I wasn't starving. I want to wait to get my epi until around 6 or 7 CM just like I did with DS.

I prefer to tear, no episiotomy. Prefer no pitocin until after baby is born to aid in placenta delivery, if needed, none at all is preferred of course. I prefer baby whisked over to the mobile nursery cart inthe room ASAP to suction him out, check him out, etc and placed back on my chest as soon as they are done. When I had DS they placed him on my chest Right after he and out...but I had so much anxiety and wanted nurses to make sure everything was ok before I felt comfy snuggling him...personal preference.

My hospital is a big proponent of the "golden hour" so he will stay with me while I am being stitched, cleaned up. After that hour he will go to nursery for his wipe down/bath while I am shuttled to recovery suite.

May be a bit controversial statement...my hospital prefers moms and babies "room in" but I will be using the nursery at night and have them bring him to me for feedings. I will be returning home to a toddler and want my sleep. My friend actually is a LD nurse at my hospital and works overnights, so I know my new little guy will be well attended to!

That's all really. Not a plan, so much but those are my wishes. Since its nothing too out of the ordinary I don't have a written plan this time either.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• imageMommyAmes2:
    Epidural. My previous births were fabulous and I hope this one is too.

Word. This is me too!
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• imageBlueJewelM:
    imageMommyAmes2:
    Epidural. My previous births were fabulous and I hope this one is too.
    Word. This is me too!

Yup the Epidural is where it`s at. 

No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• Ok I'm a minority and will probably be eaten alive. We are inducing at 39 weeks, son was born then and it took quite a toll. I had feeding issues due to this. My body can't do too much bigger and this one is on the same track.

So induction wait for epi to let thing progress as best they can but then getting an epi.

Skin to skin if possible. Last time I lost too much blood for more than a quick minute of skin to skin.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • STM here, planning to have a natural birth in the hospital. With DD I didn't have a birth plan, but my mom and her sisters all had their kids naturally and seemed to have pretty easy births, so I always thought I would too. I was keeping the option of an epidural open for myself, but when it came time to get it I decided I didn't need it. I'm so glad I didn't get it, my labor was fairly quick and easy and I never took a birthing class or used any special coping techniques at all. I hope this birth goes as well as my last one!
  • Most of all, in the end I want a happy and healthy baby girl and a healthy me and proud daddy!

I'm planning a med free birth in the hospital with a MW. We've taken Bradley courses so DH can be as involved as possible and be my advocate when it gets more intense. I'm bummed they don't have tubs to labour in, but they do have showers.

I'll stay home as long as possible and try to eat before we head to the hospital. I don't want pitocen, an epi or any drugs unless there is concern for me or LO. I'll get a hep lock in case of emergency but don't want an iv. I prefer no vaginal checks and intermittent monitoring unless here is a concern. I want to be able to push as the urge comes and be in the position that is comfortable, whatever that may be.
    I feel good about it all as I love our MW and know they share my vision. DH is happy we will be in the hospital in case there is an emergency. I'm flexible to meds, epi or cs if there is a danger to my or LO of course.
  • imageBellaOso:

1.) Go to hospital

2.) Get epidural

3.) Get baby out safely

4.) Nurse and skin-to-skin immediately 

5.) Get checked out as soon as they will allow me :) 

This.  And absolutely no forceps.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Repeat csection. Currently 1 day before due date but doctor is looking to move it up a little.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • My plan is to labor at home for as long as possible, mainly to be with DD and to reduce the temptation of early epi.  After getting to the hospital I will try to resist epi for as long as possible, but I am fully open to the possibility of getting one.  I buckled too soon last time, and ended up stalling out and I can't help but blame my lack of movement...I am hoping DH will play a more active role in pain management this time around, he sort of dropped the ball last time.

Like last time I want baby with me ASAP, and we will not send her to the nursery or out of our room for any routine reason.  They can bring the bath to your room, give the shots, take the measurements etc right there with you and we plan to request that again.  

Also, this time I will be asking to wait to clamp the cord until it stops pulsing.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"