April 2013 Moms

F/U thawed breast milk

Just FYI I took shadyslady's advice (thank you!) and contacted a Medela LC regarding how long you can leave thawed breast milk out after a feeding.  This is what she said:

"Based on related evidence thus far, it seems reasonable to discard the remaining milk within 1?2 hours after the baby is finished feeding.?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: F/U thawed breast milk

• Glad you got an answer! 
  • Hmmm, but what if you pull out the thawed milk and just let it sit -- how long can it sit before it goes bad (ie, I put out a bottle of breast milk before I go to bed so that it is room temp and ready when LO wakes up at 3 AM... can I do that with frozen/thawed milk, or just freshly expressed?)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageJSS1002:

Hmmm, but what if you pull out the thawed milk and just let it sit -- how long can it sit before it goes bad (ie, I put out a bottle of breast milk before I go to bed so that it is room temp and ready when LO wakes up at 3 AM... can I do that with frozen/thawed milk, or just freshly expressed?)

Another good question I didnt think of.  I know the 1-2 hours would not apply because the bacteria from babies mouth has not yet touched the milk.  I guess it would depend how long the milk has been out.  Here is her full answer:

?Once a baby begins drinking expressed human milk, some bacterial contamination occurs in the milk from the baby?s mouth. The duration of time the milk can be kept at room temperature once the baby has partially fed from the cup or bottle would theoretically depend on the initial bacterial load [how much bacteria originally was in the milk,] how long the milk has been thawed, and the ambient [surrounding] temperature.

There have been no studies done to provide recommendations in this regard. Based on related evidence thus far, it seems reasonable to discard the remaining milk within 1?2 hours after the baby is finished feeding.?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagetondraluv:
    imageJSS1002:

Hmmm, but what if you pull out the thawed milk and just let it sit -- how long can it sit before it goes bad (ie, I put out a bottle of breast milk before I go to bed so that it is room temp and ready when LO wakes up at 3 AM... can I do that with frozen/thawed milk, or just freshly expressed?)

Another good question I didnt think of.  I know the 1-2 hours would not apply because the bacteria from babies mouth has not yet touched the milk.  I guess it would depend how long the milk has been out.  Here is her full answer:

?Once a baby begins drinking expressed human milk, some bacterial contamination occurs in the milk from the baby?s mouth. The duration of time the milk can be kept at room temperature once the baby has partially fed from the cup or bottle would theoretically depend on the initial bacterial load [how much bacteria originally was in the milk,] how long the milk has been thawed, and the ambient [surrounding] temperature.

There have been no studies done to provide recommendations in this regard. Based on related evidence thus far, it seems reasonable to discard the remaining milk within 1?2 hours after the baby is finished feeding.?

well, like I commented on yoru original thread, I fed LO thawed milk that had sat out for a few hours last night. He seems to be fine. ;-)

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagetondraluv:
    imageJSS1002:

well, like I commented on yoru original thread, I fed LO thawed milk that had sat out for a few hours last night. He seems to be fine. ;-)

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageJSS1002:

I always consult the magnet chart I got with my Ameda pump. Previously frozen, thawed milk can be left out for 4 hours. Fresh milk is good for 4-6 hours, depending on the room temp. 

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imageAngela814:
    imageJSS1002:

I always consult the magnet chart I got with my Ameda pump. Previously frozen, thawed milk can be left out for 4 hours. Fresh milk is good for 4-6 hours, depending on the room temp. 

Awesome, thank you!  I'm all "charted out," I feel like I've read 20 charts for every baby-related question I have, and my brain is fried. :-)

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"