July 2012 Moms

should we call Early Intervention?

my kids are 1 year (11 months adjusted) and pedi thinks they should be saying about 3 words by now.  I am more concerned with Ayden than Sydney.

now, disabilities is my field... so i know parents usually wait until they KNOW something is wrong, and then by that point the kids only have a couple of months of EI before they age out.  I would rather get services sooner than later.  (sometimes it takes a few months for the application process, and that is just time lost)

By no means do I think that Ayden has a real problem, he just has a little catching up to do in terms of speech.  He is still just saying vowel sounds.

I was thinking of waiting 1 more month until he is 1 year adjusted age, but pedi says he definitely should be talking by the 15 month appt, but that's a little late for me.

Thoughts?  Wait 1 more month or wait 3 like pedi said?

image image
                  Ayden & Sydney

Re: should we call Early Intervention?

• imageJessie11LU:

Since you are in the disabilities field you obviously would have experience with something like this right? Remove yourself from this scenario and decide if it was one of your patients/clients/students/etc., what advice would you give them? Take that advice.

Oh, to clarify I work with teenagers and adults but used to work with school-age children.  We work WITH Early Intervention but I have no professional knowledge in that age group.
    ETA:  But if it was me talking to a parent, i would tell them the earlier the better.

image image
                      Ayden & Sydney

• AudteeAudtee member
    Yes, it can't hurt. DS was born 7 weeks premature and we have had him followed by EI since 5 months. In our state they come to your home to do an evaluation to determine if your child qualifies and it can take awhile to get into the system. DS initially qualified due to torticollis, selfresolved, and prematurity. We have not needed any services so far, but they still check in each month. We were a little worried about his speech because he was making no sounds at 10 months due to recurrent ear infections, but right around 11 months actual, after getting ear tubes, he had an explosion of words and now has surpassed that of a typical 13 month old. EI is still tracking him just incase he needs services in the future.
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I would not wait.  Like you, I'd want to get started on the paperwork ASAP so I didn't have to wait for services once I was really sure they were needed.
  • There is no harm in having the evaluation done.

You know your child best tho. Every child is different. I have worked in child care and I would say most of the 1 yr olds I have seen do not say 3 words. My LO only says mama, dada, and night night....and sometimes not even purposefully. I'm not concerned tho. Go with your heart.

• SBBBESBBBE member
    I would need a little more detail on what he is and isn't doing to give you more of an opinion but I would stick with what the doctor says for now. Keep in mind when kids age out of EI it is because they are at the age to receive services from the public school.

In the meantime I would research the guidlines for EI in your state. How many days after he is referred do they have to get the ball rolling? How many days before they have to be finished with testing? If he qualifies and a plan is written how many days do they have before they have to start? And the most important question, if he doesn't qualify how much time has to pass for him to be retested? In my state it is 6 months.

GL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dagny is 11 months and has no words. I mean she babbles pretty constantly, both vowels and consonants, but no actual words. She says DaDa a lot but not really in connection with DH.

So I guess I would wait. I wouldn't worry yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• No, don't call anyone there is absolutely nothing wrong with your kids.

• trying not to be a worrywart here, but you guys are saying "my kid only says mama or dada" or 1 word, Ayden isn't saying any of that.  Just vowel sounds. 

Like i said in a previous post, we are not giving him a binky at all during the day in the hopes he will be more verbal.

i think we will definitely wait a little bit and play it by ear, but i don't think i will wait until 15 months if he still isn't saying mama or dada.

image image
                      Ayden & Sydney

• imagebritbratjf:
    Dagny is 11 months and has no words. I mean she babbles pretty constantly, both vowels and consonants, but no actual words. She says DaDa a lot but not really in connection with DH. So I guess I would wait. I wouldn't worry yet.

Same here.  I think every baby develops differently so I would be inclined to wait a bit longer. 

• At 11 months my daughter isn't saying any words and I'm not worried at all.

My son didn't have any words at his 12 month appointment and they wanted one word. I don't remember what they wanted at 15 and 18 months, but I know he didn't have it.

They said we would talk about an evaluation at his 2 year appointment if he was still behind. However, at 2 years he was far ahead of what they wanted. Some kids talk earlier, others talk later. I personally think it's way too early to think there is a problem. Of course, if it would make you feel better go ahead and call.
    It took 3 1/2 long years, but we finally got our little miracle!
    IVF #1 - BFP (6dt)
    Unassisted Pregnancy #2 - lost at 15w6d due to T21, severe heart defects, and fetal hydrops

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I am definitely in the "don't worry about it" camp. At this age they can learn new stuff overnight and he seems totally normal to me.  Lily is 11 months and I get the occasional "mama" and that's it.  Keep talking to them and reading to them and try not to worry!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"