Baby Names
Options

City names on accident

We named our DS Camden and I had no clue it was a city until after he was named. We are pretty far away from NJ so it didn't bug me. We are having another boy and my husband told me he wants to use the name Branson. I like it, but just realized its a city too. Honestly, would any of you personally think anything of it? They aren't super common city names...

Re: City names on accident

• Options
    I'm far from both of them, neither been to either, but I know they're both city names. I'd like to think most people in the US would be aware that they're cities!

image  image

• Options
    imagecoopsbaby:
    I'm far from both of them, neither been to either, but I know they're both city names. I'd like to think most people in the US would be aware that they're cities!
    This.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagecoopsbaby:

This. Never been to either but I know they're both cities.  

Anniversary
  • Options

Many names are also names of cities. don't stress. 

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • Options
    imageKeri Marie:
    Many names are also names of cities. don't stress.nbsp;

Yea, this. There's probably a city for every name out there. I wouldn't worry about it at all!
    I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • Options
    ObLaDiObLaDi member
    I've never heard of Branson as a name, only as a city. I'm from New England.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mmb248mmb248 member
    I associate both names with city names, but if I loved the name, it wouldn't stop me from using it.
    imageimage
    Me: 33     DH: 38
    TTC since August 2011
    DX:  PCOS and subseptate uterus
    August 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI TI = BFN
    September 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    October 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI canceled
    November 2013:  NTNP
    April 2013:  Femara + Trigger + IUI = ???
  • Options

imagecoopsbaby:

yeah, this. Sorry 

also, if you have ever watched my name is earl... 

• Options
    imagemmb248:
    I associate both names with city names, but if I loved the name, it wouldn't stop me from using it.

This. However, I don't think Branson is a name at all.

• Options

imageg8trkim:
    imagemmb248:

Most sources say it is English, but at least one source I found connects it to Germanic roots. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageNerdyLucy:

imageg8trkim:
    imagemmb248:

Most sources say it is English, but at least one source I found connects it to Germanic roots. 

It is if you watch Downton Abbey! Although it is actually a last name.  I'm surprise no one mentioned that as that's what it makes me think of.

OP, I agree the combo is too much - both cities and both last names.

Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It wouldn't bother me
  • Options
    I wouldn't know Branson. I live in Philly so I definitely know Camden though, lol. 
  • Options
    imageJoy2611:
    Branson isn't a city around here so I wouldn't get the reference.Camden is a lot of other things besides a city in NJ!nbsp; It's also a gorgeous coastal and resort town in Maine!!nbsp; And, it's a section of London as well as part of the name of Camden Yards where the Orioles play.nbsp;EDIT: Branson, MO?nbsp; I'm so sorry, midwesterners.nbsp; I've never heard of this city. nbsp;[:]nbsp; I feel kinda ashamed.

Camden Yards is the only Camden near me too! I don't know of any Branson's near us. The names don't seem that alarming to me.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I live in Missouri, so everyone here knows about Branson, so I wouldn't name my child that. However, if you do not live anywhere near the city with the same name as your child I wouldn't worry about it. 

I agree with pp that there are a large number of names that are also cities too. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I would pick up on it, but that's about it.  I wouldn't "think" much about it.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    One city name, probably just a coincidence. But two? That seems like you're doing it on purpose, and if you're not, then don't do it, IMO.

• Options
    I'm ok with using cities as names, but I just don't like Branson as a name. 
  • Options

I would avoid it.

I don't like Camden because I went to college in Philly and have a very negative associations with that name.  It just feels negative and violent to me.

Branson isn't a bad city, but it is a tacky place.  I had never been there until a few months ago (we are living in Kansas for 12 months and met some family for a few days there).  It is just a tourist trap, tacky, folksy, strange place in the Ozarks.

Both of those city names have some strong associations. 

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options

I think you like "last names as first names" and that is going to overlap with cities.

Branson is named after Robert S. Branson. My guess is Camden was probably a last name at some point too.

That being said - The names do go together, I don't think I would think twice about little brothers Camden and Branson.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    zg49zg49 member
    I had forgotten Camden is a city but yes I think city when you say Branson. Actually going there on vacation this summer.

• Options
    Camden I've heard of as a name before, so it doesn't bother me that much. Branson on the other had would drive me nuts because it doesn't sound like a name to me. It's just a touristy city that I never want to go to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJoy2611:

Branson isn't a city around here so I wouldn't get the reference.

Camden is a lot of other things besides a city in NJ!  It's also a gorgeous coastal and resort town in Maine!!  And, it's a section of London as well as part of the name of Camden Yards where the Orioles play.

EDIT: Branson, MO?  I'm so sorry, midwesterners.  I've never heard of this city.  Embarrassed  I feel kinda ashamed.

Yes, Branson, MO. It has a lot of live music shows, which is what it is mainly known for- and the HUGE tornado that demolished a large portion of the town two years ago. That was all over national news.

I wouldn't use Branson as a name, as the only association for me is Branson, MO. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMelRC117:
    image-auntie-:

Seriously?

The Queen Mother of Camdens is the poster child for what is wrong with American cities and on every "Worst Ten" list for quality of life in the U.S.

But even if you never availed yourself of the mainstream media, Camden is a pretty popular place name. There are Camdens in Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Michigan,Mississippi, Missouri, NJ, New York, NC, SC, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and WV.  

This.  It has one of the highest homicide rates, especially for a city of its side. And I live in the Midwest.

I would immediately think of them being two cities.  Branson MO is known for its music attractions.

All of this.  And Branson has a strong association with all things tacky. (It does look like it has a beautiful lake though!)

But, if you're ok with the connotations, then go for it. 

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you're picking Chicago and Detroit. There are tons of names that are also names of towns.
  • Options
    +ASH++ASH+ member

imagemamabird8:
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you're picking Chicago and Detroit. There are tons of names that are also names of towns.

This is what I think of too. Most cities were named after people, once upon a time, so unless the names were Paris and London or Brooklyn and Savannah or Houston and Dallas, I wouldn't worry about it.

I think of Branson first, but I've been there.  

DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • Options

You know, even my favorite girl name, Eleanor, is a town in the state where I work.

Of course, I think more people associate Eleanor with a person's name and not a city or town, but even so, it is still a place.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm near philadelphia so I definitely know Camden and knowing Camden I'd never name my child that. I feel like its becoming a usable name especially with Nick Lachey and then the girl from the Hills using it. Just saying with being so close to Camden and knowin what it's like, I just wouldn't be able to separate the two. I've heard of Branson, MO but never been so not sure what its like.

I don't think anyone would hear your children's names and be like wow they must really like cities. I don't think everyone would automatically make the connection. A lot of names are also cities.
  • Options

imageAmylou333:
    Camden is a hippy place in London, England!

I am happy that there is another Camden, tell him he is named after that Camden.  I am from NJ, and you don't want to go to Camden.  They put in a nice aquarium to try to class it up, but a few years ago they actually had a city wide party because they were no longer the murder capital of the US. They were #2.  It is a terrible place.  I do not know anything about Branson but check and make sure it is a nice place.  I personally would not name both children after cities.  Just me.

• Options

imagecoopsbaby:

This for me too.  Especially Branson, that's a pretty well-known city.  At least Camden is becoming more common as a name, but not so much with Branson.

BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

image--halo--:
    imageKeri Marie:
    Many names are also names of cities. don't stress.nbsp;
    Yea, this. There's probably a city for every name out there. I wouldn't worry about it at all!

This! My sister's name is Cheyenne and she never gets any greif about it.

• Options
    I wouldn't care about 2 city names. I just don't care for how they sound together. 
    PitaPata Dog tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 11/6/13 - EDD 7/14/14 - blighted ovum discovered @ 7w - natural m/c @ 10w3d

BFP #3 5/25/14 - EDD 2/1/15 - Hoping this is our 2nd little owl Lilypie Maternity tickers

A/S findings: Baby is a girl! EIF found on heart :( but maternit21 came back neg for chromosome disorders!!

• Options
    I've never heard of Branson as a child's name, so I would automatically think of the city and think that you are a huge country music fan.  Branson is a destination city in Missouri with a country themed amusement park.
  • Options
    It's not my first thought for either name.  And if someone makes the connection, it shouldn't matter anyway.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• Options
    Although I am aware of both cities, that is not my first association with them.  For me, Camden=the family on 7th Heaven and Branson=the billionaire guy that owns Virgin
  • Options
    imageJoy2611:

Branson isn't a city around here so I wouldn't get the reference.

Camden is a lot of other things besides a city in NJ!  It's also a gorgeous coastal and resort town in Maine!!  And, it's a section of London as well as part of the name of Camden Yards where the Orioles play.

EDIT: Branson, MO?  I'm so sorry, midwesterners.  I've never heard of this city.  Embarrassed  I feel kinda ashamed.

Branson is supposed to be like Vegas for old people.

Anyway, it's not quite as obvious as Paris and London or Dallas and Austin, so I wouldn't really sweat it. Maybe use Brandon? 

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I've been to Branson.  It is a giant tourist trap that prides itself on its hillbilly-ness.  If you're looking for One Toothed Jack and His Family Opry, or Hillbilly Joe and His Dancing Bears, or Jethro's Jug Band, that's the place to go.  And it draws a lot of tourists so a lot of people know what it is.  I wouldn't name a kid after that town in a million years.  Other people might think you named your kid after Richard Branson which would also be unfortunate (nothing against RB, but why not just name your kids Gates and Buffett if you want to be baldly aspirational?).
  • Options
    imageKeri Marie:

Many names are also names of cities. don't stress. 

Yep, this. I'd only hesitate if you wanted to use the name Camden and you live in Camden.

DH and I live near a neighborhood called Nora, but we are still considering using Norah if we ever have a girl. I don't think it's a big deal.

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"