Working Moms

That was fast - just started new job and expecting #2

I work in biotech (middle/upper management on the business side) and I just started a new job 2 weeks ago. Once I landed the job, DH and I decided not to try, but not to prevent having LO #2. I am 35, so we decided to get cracking and be happy if it was fast but more expecting it to take ~6 months. Well... 1 month was all it took. I am so thrilled, but not sure how to position this one with the new boss. 

I can hide it for awhile (though I guess with #2 I'll show more quickly) but I'm feeling really tired and am in a pretty demanding job that involves a fair amount of travel. My new manager is an older man and very nice, but he is pretty driven and may be really annoyed that I got knocked up right away.

Have any of you been in a similar situation? If so, what did you do? Disclose right away to anyone at work or wait until you had to tell? FWIW, I see this job as a bridge until I find something I really want (I was laid off of my last position due to my program being killed). 

Re: That was fast - just started new job and expecting #2

• No real advice, but I'm expecting LO #2 and I didn't really show until 16-18 weeks, so you have some time.  Especially if you're still looking for other work AND since you aren't covered under FMLA (they may not hold your job on maternity leave anyway).

I'd use your time to figure out what you want to do if they don't offer paid maternity leave and/or don't hold your job.  Do a great job at your new job.  I wouldn't tell til the first trimester. 

ETA: I guess I'm not hearing any reasons to tell them right away. 

DS/LO #1: Born March 2012 DS/LO #2: On his way! Due October 2013 image
  • vszappvszapp member
    The main reason to tell would be that there are a couple of upcoming meetings/exhibits where I would need to be on my feet for hours at a time. They know I'm a runner and fit, so I think there would be a lot of questioning as to why I keep needing to sit down (I am already getting low bp and feeling faint at times).

• Loading the player...
  • I was in a similar situation around this time last year, except for the travel. But May/June was the busiest time of the year for my dept, and since it was my first busy season, i waited until beginning of July to say anything. At that point, I had been working there for about 4 months. I think I was around 14 or 15 weeks when I talked to my boss. Everyone was surprisingly supportive and really cool about it.

So, I guess my advice would be to wait a while to say anything if you can. Chances are no one would come right out and ask you about anything.  

Good luck and congrats on the pregnancy! 

photo 9de7615e-e1c7-4dc7-be37-5cc4c9e4e703_zpse37bbba7.jpg AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Congrats!! If you don't take time off between now and the birth, your maternity leave may not seem like such a big absence compared to others. Are you thinking of asking for 8-12 weeks off? I'm not familiar with your field, but in my office the men seem to take a week here, a couple days there plus most of the sick leave they're eligilble for through out the entire year and it really adds up - I am in the office every single day, so when I finally took ML, it wasn't that big a deal. People still think of me as one of the most stable employees. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagevszapp:
    The main reason to tell would be that there are a couple of upcoming meetings/exhibits where I would need to be on my feet for hours at a time. They know I'm a runner and fit, so I think there would be a lot of questioning as to why I keep needing to sit down (I am already getting low bp and feeling faint at times).

You can adress this without having to tell them why....there are lots of reasons why you might feel light headed or need to sit down. I feel that way sometimes if I have low blood sugar from not eating/drinking frequently enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"