May 2013 Moms

Washing pump parts

How do you wash and sterilize your breast pump parts? If you wash in the dishwasher do you sterilize after? TIA.

Re: Washing pump parts

• I just hand wash in hot, soapy water and let them air dry.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wash in between used w/ soap and water or if in a hurry use medela wipes. Sterilize un microwave once/daily using sterilizing bags.
  • Loading the player...
  • The Madela microwave steam bags are amazing. I rinse bottles and pump parts and then I put them in the bags. They come out really clean. You can reuse each bag 20 times and BBB sells 5 bags for 4.99.
  • We have a sanitizing steam setting on our dishwasher. I have two sets of pump parts. I use one for 12 hours with refrigerating them between pumps after rinsing with hot water then once a night when we wash bottles I sterilize my pump parts. If you keep the parts in the fridge they are safe to use repeatedly without cleaning for up to 12 hours.
    TTC since 3/4/2010
    Me: PCOS, DH: normal
    Started seeing RE 11/10/2011
    8/31/2012 = BFP!!
    First Ultrasound... TRIPLETS! EDD 5/11/13
    Baby w/ no HB @ 10w4d - We love you angel baby.
    Baby A & B doing great. A/S 12/10/12 - Healthy BOYS!
    Sawyer & Silas born at 33+6 on 3/29/13
    imageimage
    imageView Raw Image" height="250" width="375">

image"Lilypie">image

• kmcd23kmcd23 member

imageRachel Goldstein:
    We have a sanitizing steam setting on our dishwasher. I have two sets of pump parts. I use one for 12 hours with refrigerating them between pumps after rinsing with hot water then once a night when we wash bottles I sterilize my pump parts. If you keep the parts in the fridge they are safe to use repeatedly without cleaning for up to 12 hours.

I've been washing in warm water and then sanitizing in a steam bag after every use, which is tiresome. I think after the thrush is gone, I'll switch to your system! 

• KLJ3KLJ3 member
    I rinse with super hot water after every use, and toss in the dishwasher every few days. I've maybe boiled them twice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagejayro10:
    I just hand wash in hot, soapy water and let them air dry.

This.

Also, DH sterilizes them every few weeks in boiling water.

TTC#1 Oct 2010
    DS born May 2013
    TFAS Feb 2016
    EDD 07/29/2017
  • pnutgpnutg member
    imagejayro10:
    I just hand wash in hot, soapy water and let them air dry.

Me too.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I refrigerate them in a ziplock bag during the day and only wash them once in the evening, sometimes by hand and sometimes in the dishwasher. Wish I had learned the refrigerator trick earlier with my daughter- I washed them every time I pumped at work for almost a year. Such a waste of time!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wash them with soap and water after every pumping session except during night feedings when I use the medela sanitizing wipes. We also run them through the sterilizer every other day or so.
  • Wash with hot water and soap after each use and sterilize every night with the steam bags.

once I go back to work and pump more times during the day I'll start using the fridge trick 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"