Baby Names

Re: This makes me sad

• I actually think the first 10 to 15 names are pretty accurate. Past that I side eyed quite a few...some I see more as nick names rather than a stand alone neutral name.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was just going through this list thinking 'No, no, no, no, no" geez. Poor kids.

• Loading the player...
  • mmb248mmb248 member

Other than the fact that I consider Charlie, Drew, Andy and Bobby to be nicknames, I think all the names on the list are gender neutral.

OP - do you think that the list went too far or played it too safe?

ETA:  I know men and women with over half the names on this list.

imageimage
    Me: 33     DH: 38
    TTC since August 2011
    DX:  PCOS and subseptate uterus
    August 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI TI = BFN
    September 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    October 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI canceled
    November 2013:  NTNP
    April 2013:  Femara + Trigger + IUI = ???
  • I had more entertainment reading the comments rather than the actual name list. Yikes!
  • There is only one name on this list that I haven't met a person by that name and that is Finley.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I think that list is pretty accurate for general neutral names.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm in the "putting a boy name on a girl does not make it gender neutral" camp.

• This was one of the comments:

"My 7 month old daughter's name is Huntyr (said like Hunter) and I haven't found one person who doesn't love it!!!"

I bet if she would have asked for opinions on this board she would.

• I would feel bad for a girl named Dallas.

Drew and Andy make me sad too, DH's name is Andrew and it's on the list for a future LO. We would call him Drew, hopefully that one doesn't go too much to the girls. >:( Reed is pretty bad too. 

Not gonna lie, I like Quinn and Rory on girls. *hangs head in shame*

Dx PCOS 09/12
    Married my best friend 10/12/12
    TTC 1 since 10/12
    NTNP Fall 2013 to focus on a healthier lifestyle
    Anniversary

• mmb248mmb248 member
    imageMommyLizzy:
    imagemmb248:

Other than the fact that I consider Charlie, Drew, Andy and Bobby to be nicknames, I think all the names on the list are gender neutral.

I was thinking the same thing.  But I also have a boy named Skylar, which a lot of people consider more of a girl name. 

I can't imagine a boy named Sage though. 

I went to college with a Sage. He was gorgeous.  6'4", blonde, green eyes, body to die for... Sigh. 

Of course, he also had a sister named Rosemary and his dad's name was Herb.

imageimage
    TTC since August 2011
  • Agreed. That list is awful. 

3 of those names are unisex.

People are just dumb. 

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • +ASH++ASH+ member
    I actually think the list is very tame. I've heard all of those names on people of both genders and all ages. Didn't see anything horrible. 
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • Rory? Carson? Dallas? Reed? Drew? Kyle? Shane?

Horrible, just horrible.

• imagemmb248:

I went to college with a Sage. He was gorgeous.  6'4", blonde, green eyes, body to die for... Sigh. 

LOL!!

• mmb248mmb248 member
    imageWashingtonQueen:

Rory? Carson? Dallas? Reed? Drew? Kyle? Shane?

Horrible, just horrible.

Okay, I must be dumb, because while I realize that Kyle, Drew and Shane are typically male names, I'm seriously confused on the others.  The only Rory I know is from the Gilmore Girls, so I assume it's a girls name but when I look it up on baby names, it's listed as a boys name.

As for Carson and Dallas; Carson Daly is a boy, but the first time I heard the name it was a girl in the movie Shag and I went to school with a girl named Carson.  My uncle's name is Dallas, but I know 2 women named Dallas (and honestly, my issues with that name are the fact that it's Western inspired).

Also - every Reed I've ever met is a woman, but I've read it as a boy's name in books so honestly I don't know.  Plus, there's a song called Elizabeth Reed so I've always associated it with women.

imageimage
    TTC since August 2011
  • I think we've established that many people are annoyed by the putting boy names on girls thing.  So tired of talking/hearing  about it.  I don't care for it but it is what it is and it's not going anywhere.  
  • My daughter is Rory Nicole and she is 30. Errol Flynn named his daughter Rory back in the 40's.  Also, one of the Kennedy granddaughter's is named Rory (she is a documentary film maker).

I have always loved the name for girls and boys. It has become much more popular for girls since the Gilmore Girls television series.

For a girl, my two favorites are:

Rory Nicole (of course, since it is my daughter's name)

Rory Elizabeth

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~ Elizabeth Stone
    "Don't marry a man unless you would be PROUD to have a son exactly like him." ~ Unknown
  • There are quite a few I wouldn't consider gender neutral at all.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• imagemmb248:
    imageMommyLizzy:
    imagemmb248:

I was thinking the same thing.  But I also have a boy named Skylar, which a lot of people consider more of a girl name. 

I can't imagine a boy named Sage though. 

Oh my god. On that note, I think Basil is a cool name.

• mmb248mmb248 member
    imagerolIo:
    imagemmb248:

Oh my god. On that note, I think Basil is a cool name.

Sage used to say that he liked the name Coriander and would call the kid Cori.  Not sure if he meant for a boy or girl.  I just hope no on in the family winds up with the name Parsley.

imageimage
    TTC since August 2011
  • I thought all of these were gender neutral except for Reed and Dallas. What was wrong with it? I actually new an older lady from the Midwest that went by Bobby and her name was really Barbara.
  • Gender neutral names have ruined my baby naming experience. All these boy names I like have been taken over by parents who decided to name their daughters a boy name.

Edited: there would be quotation marks around gender neutral if my mobile app wouldn't delete them.
  • imagearizonatea:
    I thought all of these were gender neutral except for Reed and Dallas. What was wrong with it? I actually new an older lady from the Midwest that went by Bobby and her name was really Barbara.

The Bump isnt huge on boy names/ gender neutral names. I dont mind 'em if they arent cringe worthy

My mom is a Bobbie, her dad and brother are Roberts, and married a Robert- no lie.  No creativity there. And she hates it. 

My stepdad (kinda) has a Randi, a Rhon.e (Ronnie) and I could be a Jessie, so I find that entertaining. 

• SRK128SRK128 member

imageSoonToBeRCarlin:
    I was just going through this list thinking 'No, no, no, no, no" geez. Poor kids.

I could not agree more. 

Married to Brandon since 2/14/06
    Twin Girls born on January 1st 2012:Brooklyn Avery(Brooke) & Eliana Meredith(Ellie)
    Ellie and Brooke both have Juvenile Diabetes
    Adopted a Brother and Sister in January of 2012
    Levi Ryan-October 25th 2007 and Caroline Paige(Carly)-July 23rd 2009
    Jonah Samuel born April 21st 2013
    Expecting Baby #6-June 2014!
  • I can see some of them being gender neutral. I completely disagree with others. I guess because I really do not care for gender neutral names.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageBootsyLou:
    I think we've established that many people are annoyed by the putting boy names on girls thing.  So tired of talking/hearing  about it.  I don't care for it but it is what it is and it's not going anywhere.  

And I am sick to death of people putting boy names on girls. As long as people keep doing it the conversations about it are not going bye-bye either.

• +ASH++ASH+ member
    imageWashingtonQueen:

imageBootsyLou:
    I think we've established that many people are annoyed by the putting boy names on girls thing.  So tired of talking/hearing  about it.  I don't care for it but it is what it is and it's not going anywhere.  

And I am sick to death of people putting boy names on girls. As long as people keep doing it the conversations about it are not going bye-bye either.

Fair enough, but not everyone has the same opinion, and that's okay - that is what message boards are about and it would be very boring here if we did all agree! However, this is something that has been around for generations, so it's not going to change. Just like my biggest pet peeves won't be changing either (of which, I have many, but people like what they like).

My daughter has a boys name and it got an overwhelming positive response here (which honestly shocked me). But even if it hadn't, we absolutely love it - the #1 requirement in my book. And all of our kids have family names for fn and mn, so it has a family connection, which was very important to us (it's a variation on a name that was a generational family name used for many family members until my grandfather's era). People who meet her won't know she is the most recent in a long line to have this name, but she will know and will (hopefully) take pride in it :)

DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • ZimgerZimger member

imageJoy2611:
    I can't even open that link, WQ.  I think I'll just get angry.

Yeah...I can't either. I tried but my brain just put up a wall. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • There were only about 5 names on that list that I didn't agree with.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • imageWashingtonQueen:

I'm in the "putting a boy name on a girl does not make it gender neutral" camp.

Yes, yes, yes.  Just because some yahoo used it on a girl does not make it a girl's name. Charlie is a boy's name, or short for Charles. I don't find it a cute girl's name, OR a cute nickname for Charlotte. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• No, no, no! Aubrey is gender neutral?
    Rainbow Baby born 12/14/13

• imageBootsyLou:

Then why did you even open the post?

I dislike most of those names to begin with, but they are even worse when they belong to a girl! Ick! 

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • kmplskmpls member

I haven't heard Carson, reed, or Shane on girls but the rest are commonly used for boys and girls.

I have no issue with gender neutral names. 

• imagesehart3478:
    No, no, no! Aubrey is gender neutral?

Exactly. It is a man's name used on girls. Not gender neutral at all.
  • mmb248mmb248 member
    imagewanderingmama:
    imagesehart3478:
    No, no, no! Aubrey is gender neutral?

Exactly. It is a man's name used on girls. Not gender neutral at all.

I've never heard Aubrey on a man but I've seen it used for women and girls ages 40 down to 4 months.

Is it possible that some stuff is regional?
    imageimage
    TTC since August 2011
  • imagemmb248:

I've never heard Aubrey on a man but I've seen it used for women and girls ages 40 down to 4 months.

Is it possible that some stuff is regional?

Nope was a man's name first. History is most certainly not "regional".
    Evelyn, Courtney, Marion, Leslie, Kelly, Shannon and Ashley also started out as men's names, just so you are aware.
  • imagekmpls:

I haven't heard Carson, reed, or Shane on girls but the rest are commonly used for boys and girls.

I have no issue with gender neutral names. 

Agree with all of this. There are many people who don't mind or even love gender neutral names and have given them to their children. Posts like this seem to be a way of saying 'my names are better than your names'.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• mmb248mmb248 member

imagewanderingmama:
    imagemmb248:
    I've never heard Aubrey on a man but I've seen it used for women and girls ages 40 down to 4 months. Is it possible that some stuff is regional?

Nope was a man's name first. History is most certainly not "regional". Evelyn, Courtney, Marion, Leslie, Kelly, Shannon and Ashley also started out as men's names, just so you are aware.

I never said it was historically a woman's name, just that here, it's been used for women since the 70s.  The tone of this thread seemed to suggest that Aubrey is still a boy's name.  Thanks for pointing out those other names.  This actually helps make my point that while some names may have been boy's names in the past, they are now appropriate, if not more common, for girls. 

Around here, Marion is still a fairly popular name for boys, while Marian is considered to be the feminine form (although both are considered unisex.  It's DH's name and if we have a son, Marion will be his middle name.  This is what I meant by regional; how the name is used currently.

imageimage
    TTC since August 2011
  • imageWashingtonQueen:

I'm in the "putting a boy name on a girl does not make it gender neutral" camp.

This. I know people of both sexes that have these names (Well, most. A girl named Shane?) but just because people have foisted a boy name on a girl, doesn't make it a  girl name. I think this is one reason there are so many more girl names to choose from than boys! Once the girls have hijacked a name, it's hard for the boys to get it back (Madison, Marion, Leslie, Ashley)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
    N '13 November Siggy Challenge- Baby Pictures

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Some are legit, some are not. They left off the most truly legit unisex names IMO. Shane on a girl....no. Morgan, yes!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"