Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Bottle Weaning - CONFUSED!!

Hi,

I hadn't really thought about weaning my son off bottles until I took him to the doctor's this week and she gave me a handout saying he should be having 3 bottles (6-8oz each) a day for a total of 24oz. We were giving him 5 bottles...at a total of 28oz a day still. Oops! I had been giving him sippy cups with meals but he has zero interest, bites on them, chokes and makes a big mess. We since discovered there are transition cups and picked those up and he is taking to those a bit better. I also switched to 3 bottles a day but now he seems cranky but it could be my imagination. My doctor also said he could start to have a little bit of homo milk now too (haven't started yet) as long as he is eating 12tbsps of solids a day which he is. My son's weight is above average (the doctor never mentioned any concerns, I was the one asking about how much to feed him).

Would you still give 28oz or go by the doctor's handout and do 24oz as in 3 bottles a day?

When they get to a year, is that when you just switched to sippy cups only? Did you do it cold turkey or gradually?

Did you add homo milk and formula together or give the homo milk separately?

So, confused, how did you go about weaning from bottles? 

PS - I know that you don't take them off formula until a year. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bottle Weaning - CONFUSED!!

• I will (and always have) feed my child as much as he wants to eat. If he's satisfied with what you've been doing, keep doing it until you feel like he could do without one.

I've always read to do it gradually.

You mix the two together. Our pediatrician recommended we do half WCM and half BM one bottle a day for a few days, then two for a few, then three for a few, then four.

We tried a lot of different brands of sippy cups and I feel like that's where your DS' problem is with refusing them. We tried Munchkin, Nuby, Playtex, and finally found one that DS liked with the Nuk Learner Cup (which a lot of mamas say works for their kids). It has a silicone spout, so it kind of feels like a bottle.

As far as weaning him from a bottle, I'd try to do one "bottle" in a sippy cup every day, then go to two, then three, etc.

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• I would never feed less if he's hungry just to meet a certain number that your doctor came up with.

Like pp said, stick to what you're doing just start transitioning the bottle feeds into a straw or sippy cup.
  • Loading the player...
  • You've got three months before you should worry about transitioning to whole milk and a lot can change in 3 months.  I don't see any reason to be freaking about the difference of 4 ounces of formula and all kids are different so it's not cut and dry to say every 9 month old should be eating 24 ounces.  I also think it's absurd that your doctor cares how many bottles you make to give that number of ounces.  If you have a snacker you could have to feed more often even if it totals the same number of ounces of a baby who eats fewer but larger bottles, kwim?  In short, don't stress about following these guidelines you got to a T.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• If it makes you feel any better my son is still eating 30-35 oz. a day and has been very slow getting started with the solids. We are making progress, but I can't even imagine him only eating 24 oz. right now. Our doctor said he should be eating a big variety of finger foods and cutting back on formula soon.  I respect my pedi and trust her judgment, but I can't force my son to do something he's not ready for.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You always want to listen to your pedi. At that age, ours also told us to feed DS 20-24 oz of formula a day but it didn't have to be in 3 bottles so what I did was split it up into 4 bottles, wake up bottle at 6 oz, then 2 in the middle of the day at 4-5 oz each, and 7 oz right before bed for a total 21-23 oz.

When LO was 11.5 mo we introduced WM in very small amounts (4-8 oz a day) and continued increasing once he was a year. I still used mostly formula until just before a year because the nutrients in it are so good and LO is not a big eater so I wanted the benefits in it. 

As far as sippy cups, we are still working on it. He has water and juice in sippies only but as far as milk goes, he still gets mostly a bottle. Every few days I give him his middle of day milk in a sippy but I find that he drinks less milk when it's from the sippy and I'm ok with him still having a bottle (he is now on WM only and drinking 3 bottles for a total of 16 oz).  I think my biggest concern at a year was moving him to WM and doing both WM and a sippy might have been to much for my LO. Once he becomes better at drinking his milk from the sippy, I'll probably move all bottles to the sippy but I'm guessing he'll be more like 14-15 months before that happens.

What I started doing when I reduced the amount of milk was to feed him right after. So when we moved to less formula in the day (4-5 oz), I would also offer something to eat afterward or soon after so that he wouldn't go hungry. This helped him increase the amount of food he eats although he is still not a big eater. GL! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• feed if LO is hungry. I feed until she starts to throw food on the floor or push the spoon away that's how she tells me very clearly she's done lol

as for bottles, I've only nursed but LO uses a straw cup now by herself with water (she never did "get" how to use a sippy, straw was easier) 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks everybody for the feedback :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • you do everything gradually. my ped doesnt want my LO transitioning to a sippy cup. they told us to start letting him sip an ounce of water here and there when he was 6 months.

go forward with adding the yogurt, cheese, etc. i started adding 2 ounces of milk to 6 ounce of formula... take your time and be patient.

• My daughter eats about 30 oz a day and I wouldn't change it unless she started leaving oz in the bottles and wasn't interested in it anymore. Don't feel pressured to do something because a pamphlet says you should, every baby and every humans needs are different.  I am having the same problem with the sippy cups. Where did you find the transition cups? I would like to switch my LO to milk in a sippy at one. Also about weaning, I have been doing it now at a little over 11 months, with my peds approval.  We have been giving 1 oz of milk mixed in with her formula. I try that for 3-4 days and if she has no reaction I add an oz of milk. Right now her bottles are 3 oz milk and 3 oz of formula.  She seems to like it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"