2nd Trimester

Ab muscles pulling. Ab running belt?

I'm creeping up on week 23 and have been running my whole pregnancy as well as weights (modified of course) like I was doing before. I always ran outside but its gotten too wam so I have moved to the treadmill inside. I recently got a tummy and have gained 4 to 5 pounds so far, and sometimes my muscles in my stomach feel like they are SO tight, like they are fighting against the stretching from my growing belly. Things have been great and I have had no problems or symptoms really,except this and then suddenly yesterday as soon as I began to run, it was uncomfortable. Nothing painful, just a strong pull at my ab muscles that was uncomfortable. I stopped immediately and did elliptical instead (I really only run and don't do the elliptical but it didn't cause any discomfort so I decided on it instead). I have heard there is a belt that can be worn to give the belly some support. Has anyone used something like this? Or run through their pregnancy and have a suggestion? I know people run the whole time and my dr said its fine, but not if there is discomfort. I have no problem making changes for my baby boy, just want us both fit and healthy.
Married since 06-9-11 Me: 29 Hubby: 28 2/14 BFP 1st baby The paper towels on the counter weren't for me?! My hubby and my puppy Pregnancy Ticker Visit The Knot!

Re: Ab muscles pulling. Ab running belt?

• I am 24 weeks.....it's good to know I'm not the only one going through this.  It feels like my abs refuse to stretch and it's worse after I eat.  I hope this means my stomach will go back to normal fairly quickly after birth!
  • I used this belt during my last pregnancy for running, and it was a lifesaver:

https://fitmaternity.com/maternity-clothes/ga003.html 

(Sorry it's not clicky.) I still have it and will use it again this time once the belly gets bigger.

norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCerafina991:
    I am 24 weeks.....it's good to know I'm not the only one going through this. nbsp;It feels like my abs refuse to stretch and it's worse after I eat. nbsp;I hope this means my stomach will go back to normal fairly quickly after birth!

Oh I'm so glad you said that! My husband keeps saying he thought I would eat more and I keep telling him I can't fit anymore. I eat and I feel like I swolloed a bowling ball, the stretching is tough!
    Married since 06-9-11 Me: 29 Hubby: 28 2/14 BFP 1st baby The paper towels on the counter weren't for me?! My hubby and my puppy Pregnancy Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • imageutlawgirl:
    I used this belt during my last pregnancy for running, and it was a lifesaver:https://fitmaternity.com/maternityclothes/ga003.htmlnbsp;Sorry it's not clicky. I still have it and will use it again this time once the belly gets bigger.

Thanks so much!
  • I stopped running at 20 weeks because of my abs/groin bothering me, and the freaking urge to pee every 5 minutes cause of how the baby was frequently positioned (head down right on my bladder). I didn't try the running belt, I was barely showing at the time - it might have helped. When I first stopped running I really struggled with it cause I love running but it just wasn't fun or comfortable anymore. But once I stopped I kind of felt relieved that I didn't have to struggle with pace or distance anymore. I still exercise frequently, just walk and lift light weights/core exercises.

For the abs, try cat/cow pose and modified cobra for stretching. Pigeon pose is awesome for the hips. 

Good luck! I hope you can keep on running longer than I did! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"