March 2013 Moms

omg it is happening again...

So a few years ago I made a stained glass sun catcher for a cousin and his bride/wife for their wedding (in addition to money). It was a design from their wedding invitation in their wedding colors- I thought it was a pretty cool idea! Anyway, they live in the same town as I do and when the wife posted the sun catcher on craigslist I was pretty mad.  I begrudgingly did not do anything about it and noted that they won't get anything from me in the future.

Fast forward to now and I recently had another cousin get married.  I gave her a stained glass sun catcher with her invitation design in her wedding colors (in addition to money).  Sure enough I just got a heads up from someone else that she is trying to sell it and I should ask for it back. 

Next cousin that gets married will have a "Congrats" card and a gift certificate to Target. I quit!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: omg it is happening again...

• That sucks and I'm really sorry, but I'll be honest. I wouldn't want a sun catcher either. When we got married, we lived in such a small house that I really only had use for practical items. Plus, those just aren't my style. Maybe it's something similar?

I know that doesn't help hurt feelings so I really am sorry.

• I disagree with pp. suncatchers aren't a big object that takes up room and if I received something that was clearly a labor of love as a wedding gift a wouldn't put it on Craigslist! I mean, not only getting rid of it, but trying to make money off of it? Just so rude and utterly unkind. I'm sorry your time and caring was treated this way. They don't deserve it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • That is rude! While a sun catcher wouldn't be my style it's still something you put effort into and that derserves to be kept. Sure DH and I got things we weren't crazy about when we got married and a few things now that we have LO, doesn't mean we sell it! The only things we didn't keep we're duplicates of things and one of my friends thought it was funny to get LO, who is a boy, girl socks "just in case".
  • That is just plain weird.  Who would think to sell a suncatcher on Craigslist??
  • Kota26Kota26 member
    Thanks guys I just needed to vent. I should be thankful at least my art will go to people who like them instead of the trash.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagetmsgrl:
    That is just plain weird.  Who would think to sell a suncatcher on Craigslist??

Right? Who buys sun catchers on CL?

At least they both thought they were nice enough to sell... better than going in the Goodwill bin. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • You should have bought it off craigslist and gone to meet up with them to get It lol
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagejahjbmr:
    You should have bought it off craigslist and gone to meet up with them to get It lol
    Wow, this is the greatest idea ever!! It would definitely embarrass them!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagejahjbmr:
    You should have bought it off craigslist and gone to meet up with them to get It lol

love that!  lol

• imageKota26:

So a few years ago I made a stained glass sun catcher for a cousin and his bride/wife for their wedding (in addition to money). It was a design from their wedding invitation in their wedding colors- I thought it was a pretty cool idea! Anyway, they live in the same town as I do and when the wife posted the sun catcher on craigslist I was pretty mad.  I begrudgingly did not do anything about it and noted that they won't get anything from me in the future.

Fast forward to now and I recently had another cousin get married.  I gave her a stained glass sun catcher with her invitation design in her wedding colors (in addition to money).  Sure enough I just got a heads up from someone else that she is trying to sell it and I should ask for it back. 

Next cousin that gets married will have a "Congrats" card and a gift certificate to Target. I quit!

This irritated the heck out of me! I don't know what goes into making a suncatcher, but I bet it takes some time, thought, and effort. Even if you don't necessarily love the gift that much, you never get rid of anything handmade or thoughtful that someone has given you, that's just common courtesy.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
  • Sorry - I disagree.  If you make something without the recipient's input, you're taking a gamble on if they'll like it or not.  You lost - twice.  Just because you gave it to them in no way obligates them to keep it if it isn't something they a) like or b)will use.  Once the gift is given, it is theirs to decide what to do with and you don't get to be upset about it.  It was a risk you took in giving them something they may or may not enjoy.

I don't want to belittle your efforts because I have no doubt a lot of time, thought, expense, and effort went into  creating something you thought they'd appreciate.  I get it.  I really do.  I like to crochet and like to give afghans to my friends who get married or for housewarming gifts.  However, I know that homemade things like that are not everyone's cup of tea and I typically ask before I create.  I don't want to waste my time on something they wouldn't use or like.  Sure, it takes some of the surprise out of it but it gives them the opportunity to say "that is really sweet of you but we're all set."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"