February 2013 Moms

Sunblock

What brand of sunblock do you use? We are going out of town and will be outside some. I plan to keep him covered but I would like to have some incase we need it.

Re: Sunblock

• imageTeacher Clark:
    We use coppertone water babies pure and simple, SPF 50. It had a good rating on the website that rates that sort of stuff, can't remember the site, and it is sold in most major stores like target.

This but ours is like spf 90 or something overkill like that? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think the new one I found (at Walgreens) was Banana Boat Naturals.  We also use Coppertone Sensitive Skin and Neutrogena Pure and Free.  All of them are all zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.  Do not get sunblocks that contain other chemicals other than those two...most children's/ "baby" sunblock does not actually fall into the safe for kids category. :(

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We got the Neutrogena one, but haven't used it yet so I guess I'm not really of help! :P

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• imagefroggystomper:

imageTeacher Clark:
    We use coppertone water babies pure and simple, SPF 50. It had a good rating on the website that rates that sort of stuff, can't remember the site, and it is sold in most major stores like target.

This but ours is like spf 90 or something overkill like that? 

Yupp ours too... SPF 70

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Aveeno baby... Haven't used it yet though
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Blue Lizard

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• We got the Badger balm suncream. We haven't used it yet. But I have been using their daily sunscreen and like it.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Wait my pedi told me to wait till 6 months to use sunscreen?
  • imageTeacher Clark:

Used this today and it worked great! Didn't seem to bother DD's skin at all. We used the lotion but they have a stick too and I think I will be getting that for her face.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecarriesu2003:
    Wait my pedi told me to wait till 6 months to use sunscreen?

Mine too. FWIW
    "Sweat is my sanity". Sarah Palin "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised". Proverbs 31:30 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagehappylady5:
    imagecarriesu2003:
    Wait my pedi told me to wait till 6 months to use sunscreen?

Mine too. FWIW

Mine did as well, but I'm using sunblock instead of sunscreen. Block uses minerals, screen uses chemicals. While I appreciate my pedi, I know that this is something that isn't going to harm my child when used in moderation. She advised me not too and I appreciate her educating me, but I'm doing what I feel is right.
  • I asked my doc about it because I had read 6 months was the time but she gave me the green light at our 4 month visit.

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Sunblock has never been tested on children under 6 months. Our ped says it is best to keep them out of the sun but when you absolutely can't, sunblock is okay just wash it off when you can. Active ingredients should only be zinc oxide (which is in Desitin so it should be safe) or titanium dioxide. And really, we should all follow that...chemical sunscreens can be cancer causing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"