February 2013 Moms

NBR wedding plans

So a few weeks ago we found our wedding venue in NH and set our date for September 6, 2014! I am trying to figure out planning while taking care of twins and its hard. But since many of you ladies are already married I thought I would ask your advice. Is there anything you regret spending money on? Or regret not having? What was important to you on your wedding day that may normally be overlooked? Also the boys will be 18 months, do you think they would be able to make it down the aisle? I want them as cute ring bearers haha. I'm overwhelmed with planning already! I could post to The knot but they're obviously not married there yet so I hope I can get some advice here. TIA!!

Re: NBR wedding plans

• Make sure your wedding photographer is nice. Mine was a steal, got him through a coworker and he offered me a discount because of that, but he was a jerk! He never bothered to learn anyone's names, and he kept calling my brother HeyYouTheShortOne! My brother knows he's short you don't have to constantly rub it in. He was just kind if pricky.
    I loved my dj, however. He basically let me pick every song.
    We did not get a videographer and I'm glad.
    I bought a dress at David's bridal for like 499 and though I liked it enough, I wish I had held out for a better dress, but I had procrastinated so much I ran out if time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The only thing I regret is that I didn't get the wedding dress I wanted because my mom wanted to buy my wedding dress for me but refused to pay for that one - not because of how expensive it was (around $1000) but because she thought it was too plain for that price.  It was so me though, and fit perfectly -  wouldn't have even had to have it altered.  Being na?ve and the obedient daughter, I chose another one (which, actually, DH found for me, which made it special in that way), when really I think I should have just plunked down my own credit card and said "Charge it!"  Yes, you only wear it once, but I've always regretted that.

My best advice is to do what you really want to do and screw everyone else.  I didn't invite certain people I had known my whole life and gone to church with because, honestly, I thought they were annoying.  It would have been polite to invite them, but I didn't really want them there so too bad.  Also (and this horrified my mother), we had KFC cater and ordered two double-sheet ice cream cakes from Baskin-Robbins (my DH doesn't like regular cake).  My mom ended up making a three-tiered, beaded wedding cake herself and having the "fancy" restaurant in town also cater, but everyone said how fun the other stuff was, and we had a blast with it.  I will never regret eating fried chicken and ice cream cake on my wedding day.  It was flipping awesome.

Do what you want, regardless of whether it is "traditionally done" or not.  Make it special for you.  :-)

• Loading the player...
  • Spend the money on a good photographer!
    Make a top 3 list for yourself and DH to be and use that to prioritize everything else. Don't make your guests pay for booze, serve what you can afford, and if that's beer and wine, then that's fine. There will be little things you want to splurge on and do not feel bad about it, you don't want to regret anything. It's better to spend a bit more for something you really want than to feel like you wasted money on the cheaper alternative.
    I also had no videographer and did not miss it.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Oh, another thing. DH and I wanted to be introduced to Say Anything's Alive with the Glory of Love and have our first dance be Tom Waits I Want You but I let my mom and sister talk me out if it and went with generic Michael Buble song instead. I totally regret that. He and I are so fun and the wedding was so playful and informal that the funny song would have been perfect and I let my mom and sister talk me out of what was the best private joke and most personal song just so they would know the song too. Don't do it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I cheaper out on getting someone to do my makeup and hair and I deeply regret it. I did my own makeup, but I got go short on time that I just slapped on some mascara and lipstick in 5 minutes. Then I found a less expensive woman to do my hair and only did one trial run months before my wedding. The day of I hated it when she did it, but it was too late to change it. I still look at pictures and hate it. I also second PP about doing what you want. Don't listen anyoneit's your wedding!
  • Just wish I would have had a professional videographer instead of a friend, 4 years later and still no wedding video : also wish I would have spent less money on wine,I was thinking about what I like, not my beer drinking fam lol..but other than that no regrets :
  • imagejkuhmann:

My best advice is to do what you really want to do and screw everyone else.  I didn't invite certain people I had known my whole life and gone to church with because, honestly, I thought they were annoying.  It would have been polite to invite them, but I didn't really want them there so too bad.  Also (and this horrified my mother), we had KFC cater and ordered two double-sheet ice cream cakes from Baskin-Robbins (my DH doesn't like regular cake).  My mom ended up making a three-tiered, beaded wedding cake herself and having the "fancy" restaurant in town also cater, but everyone said how fun the other stuff was, and we had a blast with it.  I will never regret eating fried chicken and ice cream cake on my wedding day.  It was flipping awesome.

Do what you want, regardless of whether it is "traditionally done" or not.  Make it special for you.  :-)

This! It is your day so do what you both want! Compromise for each other and make it special for you two.  

We didn't have a wedding party because we felt that a wedding is about the couple in love, not the formality or the show. My in-laws did not like this idea and tried pressuring us to have my husband's siblings in our wedding (especially his older brother as the best man- someone he would not have even chosen!). They changed their minds after the wedding and said that it wasn't missed at all. They also liked how our siblings and best friends didn't have to spend additional money on us or dress up in clothes they don't like. Everyone just enjoyed being guests and there was no pressure or unnecessary drama.

We also only invited the people that we really wanted there. My in-laws tried pressuring us to invite "cousins" that my husband had met once as a kid and we refused to give in because we were paying for the wedding. It was never brought up again after the wedding so I guess it didn't matter all that much in the end. We were surrounded by familiar faces and that was most important to us. 

My dress was $200 because it was a bridesmaids dress that was ordered in off-white. Think about this as an option! Spending thousands on a gown that you wear once is ridiculous to me. You can always get a plain dress and add to it to make it as fancy as you want. We got married on the beach so I ended up keeping it plain and wearing more jewelry to dress it up.

We did spend money on a photographer and a videographer and we feel that it was worth it. We searched on theknot for the cheapest companies with the best reviews. To us, there is nothing that can replace watching your family members laugh, dance, etc. 

We only got flowers for my bouquet and  for the groom, our parents, and our grandparents. I'm not a flower person because I think it's silly to spend money on something that dies a few days later. I've heard of friends having flower centerpieces that cost $500+ per table. REALLY?! What's the point? 

I hope this helps put things into perspective for you. Do what makes you happy! :)    CONGRATS!

• I'm in such a toss up about a videographer. My cousin edits videos so I may get a couple flip cameras so guests can take fun videos. I would rather see the fun stuff that I miss than a formal video of everything else. I dot know though.
    Luckily my best friend owns a salon so she is doing hair, SO's cousin is a makeup artist so she's doing makeup, our friend is an amazing photographer so we have that and the cost of the place includes cake, floral centerpieces and a DJ! All are the top ones in NH so that makes stress of planning way less. Definitely plan on open bar with th crowd we have haha. Thanks ladies!!
  • Our budget was pretty low, so I prioritized photography and food.  I lucked out and found a catering company that was just starting out and we had a great heavy app buffet for 100 people for like $1800 (no alcohol, and that included all the service and day of coordination).  I spent a LOT of time on my local knot board and got virtually all my vendor recs there.  I also spent the money to have my hair and makeup professionally done on site and the gal I got was super awesome.  I look back at our photos and still love everything! :)  The only thing I MIGHT look back on and wish was different was the size of our wedding party.  DH HAD to have his two BFFs + three bros.  I wanted only two, but he wouldn't compromise.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemeechellebelle:
    I'm in such a toss up about a videographer. My cousin edits videos so I may get a couple flip cameras so guests can take fun videos. I would rather see the fun stuff that I miss than a formal video of everything else. I dot know though.
    Luckily my best friend owns a salon so she is doing hair, SO's cousin is a makeup artist so she's doing makeup, our friend is an amazing photographer so we have that and the cost of the place includes cake, floral centerpieces and a DJ! All are the top ones in NH so that makes stress of planning way less. Definitely plan on open bar with th crowd we have haha. Thanks ladies!!

get the videographer! my dh wanted his friends to video tape it and i was sp freakin annoyed b/c i didnt want it. however, it was the best decision ever. we watch it here and there and im so very thankful my dh refused to budge.
  • Worth the money... Good music and good food. That's what people remember!! No one will remember most of the little details that you spend so much time on, including you because it goes so fast Haha. Make sure you have fun!

Not worth it.... Chair covers or expensive decorations. If you're crafty make your decorations personal to you guys and they'll be special!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We picked out splurge areas - venue, photographer, food and booze. I would definitely recommend doing so. Suprisingly, food and booze were cheaper than a lot of places (we found a venue that let us bring in our own food and wine which saved a TON of money. Also, if you can bring your own booze and get it from somewhere like BevMo, you can return any leftovers.) OUr photographer was midrange, but I still wished we'd gone with someone better. At the end of the day, the photographs are the biggest reminder of your wedding day (other than your hubby!), so I think it's definitely worth the splurge.

Our middle of the road areas - dress, DJ, and favors. I wish I hadn't spent as much on my dress. Especially since someone ripped the train. 

Cheaped out - decor, 'extras', and flowers - we didn't decorate the ceremony site AT ALL except for some potted flower baskets from Lowes.. But our ceremony site was so awesome on it's own, I don't regret the decision AT ALL. We didn't add a whole lot of cutesy details, I saved a ton of headache, and no one noticed. For flowers, I had a florist tell me $1500 would be enough for bouquets and HALF our centerpieces, so spending $1000 for flowers online seemed like a steal.. At the end of the day, we had WAY too many flowers, and although they were beautiful, I definitely think it was worth it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm so happy I splurged on a great photographer and my wedding dress. I wish I would've also splurged on a good dj! I went with a family friend and it was horrible. Definitely wasn't the lively dj I expected! Don't stress about little things because in the end they won't matter. I wish I would've taken other people's advice to not worry about everything at the reception because I worried and didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. Don't sweat the small stuff. What's most important is that you're marrying the love of your life!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagejkuhmann:

The only thing I regret is that I didn't get the wedding dress I wanted because my mom wanted to buy my wedding dress for me but refused to pay for that one - not because of how expensive it was (around $1000) but because she thought it was too plain for that price.  It was so me though, and fit perfectly -  wouldn't have even had to have it altered.  Being na?ve and the obedient daughter, I chose another one (which, actually, DH found for me, which made it special in that way), when really I think I should have just plunked down my own credit card and said "Charge it!"  Yes, you only wear it once, but I've always regretted that.

I second the food thing! We had a BBQ restaurant near us cater and I don't regret it one bit! I actually enjoyed the food. It seems as though you pay so much for the traditional wedding food and to me it always tastes very bland and its what is expected. I had so many compliments for doing something different as well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My advice is to try to focus on the things that are important to you and your fianc rather than what others think are important especially regarding the size of the wedding. We did not give in to pressure to invite folks we didn't want to invite and I am so glad bc it meant I was surrounded by people I wanted and didn't have to make small talk with people I didn't care about. We also kept it small so we could actually speak to/hang out with every guest. I got my dress at jcrew and loved it, don't feel you have to spend unless you want to. Finally, enjoy it! The day goes so quickly....
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"