Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Public baby changing station phobia

We're leaving on Tuesday for a family vacation and I'm guessing there is going to be no way around having to use a changing station in the airport. I've managed to avoid using one for 14 months but it looks as if I won't be able to get away with it any longer! I'm not usually one to freak out about germs, but I'm terrified of these things for some reason. Last night I actually had a nightmare that there was poop smeared all over the table when I lowered it. Sorry for the gross imagery. But seriously, I think some tips from you ladies would help put this totally irrational fear of mine at ease. It's like wrestle mania trying to change my LO's diaper so I'm just nervous about him rolling all over the table and clawing at/touching everything. Also, it's OK to take a 14 month old boy into the women's restroom right? Why am I so uncomfortable about this? I guess it's just one of those things I'm going to have to do to get over it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Public baby changing station phobia

• Options
    Put something down on the table. I usually use disposable changing pads, and give lo the wipes to hold. Otherwise I use paper towels from the bathroom.
  • Options
    I use disposable changing pads or a receiving blanket on them. And yes, its fine to bring a toddler in a women's room. No one will look twice.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes you can take your LO to the restroom with you.

I hate baby changing stations too. They are pretty gross!  I always bring two receiving blankets and lay them on it. If you are ever in a pinch and forget something to put down on the table I would do the exact thing the previous poster said lay paper towels down.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    WipzWipz member

you are not alone... I've changed my kid on the back seat of the car on numerous occasions rather than use a public bathroom. He still hasn't been in a public bathroom and he is 15 months old.  I agree with PP's cover it with something you can throw away or wash if you have to use one.  I am lucky that my lil guy can get changed standing up now, so in a pinch I can always do that.

• Options
    We travel a lot, when at the airport I find a corner, lay a blanket and then our changing mat on top of that, change him... whalla! If it is busy I do it between our stroller and the wall... I refuse to use those after I saw 1 Mom use it with no pad and leave poo smears all over the place!!!! I don't care what others might think, I am fast at it and dispose properly.
  • Options
    The table on our stroller moves so I put s changing pad under him lower the back on his stroller and change then wipe his seat with a Lysol wipe. :/
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    nah82nah82 member
    imageKimbus22:

Just put something down on the table.

And of course you can bring a 14 month old boy in the ladies room. What is your other option? Sending him to the men's room alone to change his own diaper? Cripes you can bring a 4 YEAR old boy in the ladies room. It's a non issue! 

Yeah...where exactly do you think your little boy is going to go potty when he is 3 and you are at the mall with him by yourself?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I've changed diapers in public plenty of times before, just never had to use a changing station. I know it's OK to bring my son into the bathroom with me to go to the bathroom, but I guess the point I was trying to make is that it weirds me out when some of the changing stations are out in the open and not in a stall. That's all. Thanks for the suggestion of the disposable pads. I'm definitely going to buy some tomorrow!

• Options
    imageKimbus22:
    Just put something down on the table.And of course you can bring a 14 month old boy in the ladies room. What is your other option? Sending him to the men's room alone to change his own diaper? Cripes you can bring a 4 YEAR old boy in the ladies room. It's a non issue!nbsp;

Well, I was actually wondering if sending him into the men's room with DH was an option. Do they have changing stations in men's rooms? That's something I've never asked DH about!

• Options
    imagektpaladino:
    imageKimbus22:
    Just put something down on the table.And of course you can bring a 14 month old boy in the ladies room. What is your other option? Sending him to the men's room alone to change his own diaper? Cripes you can bring a 4 YEAR old boy in the ladies room. It's a non issue!nbsp;

Well, I was actually wondering if sending him into the men's room with DH was an option. Do they have changing stations in men's rooms? That's something I've never asked DH about!

Some do, but not many. Dh has taken Ds into the women's room to change him before.
  • Options
    I just changed my LO on the floor in the hallway of a high school.my niece was having a recital at the school. There was no other place to change him and the girls bathroom was filthier than the hallway floor. You find a way when your LO needs to be changed. And you eventually get over being a germaphobe.
  • Options

imageblushingbride_08:
    I just changed my LO on the floor in the hallway of a high school.my niece was having a recital at the school. There was no other place to change him and the girls bathroom was filthier than the hallway floor. You find a way when your LO needs to be changed. And you eventually get over being a germaphobe.

oh and I always carry a changing pad 

• Options
    Well, if it's any consolation my girls have been changed in hundreds (literally, hundreds!) of public restrooms with all the road tripping/zoo and aquarium visits/churches/restaurants/etc. in their lives and we've all lived to tell about it without contracting any horrible diseases. When they were itty bitty I used a changing pad or receiving blanket, but as they got older I just give it a quick wipe with a Wet One and wash both of our hands afterwards.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Here is what you can do for the plane ride. 

You can change him in the car after you park the car at the airport.  When you change him, you can put an overnight diaper on (instead of a regular diaper).  Assuming he doesn't poop on the plane, you don't have to change him again (since he has an overnight diaper on) until you get to your hotel.  Since they last overnight, they will last for a 8 hour flight. 

If he poops on the plane, bring a disposable changing pad (they sell them at Babies R Us) and put it on your chair and change him there with another overnight diaper. 

• Options
    This last Tuesday I was at my college with DS when he made a poo.
    Realized he was too big to change laying down in my car, then realized there were no changing tables.
    I went to the big stall and changed him standing up.
  • Options
    I use a fluffy receiving blanket that I keep in my car for outings to use on changing tables.  I don't use it for sleeping but it's the one just for changing table changes. It works well. I don't think twice about taking my almost 14 month old in the women's restroom. I have seen much older boys in ones before (like up to age 4 or 5).  Don't worry about it!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Options

imageLalaMama81:
    Do you not ever go out?! I can't imagine never having changed a diaper in public before. I do it all the time, I never lay anything down nor have I ever seen poop. We're traveling now and dd had her diaper changed 3 times on the plain, plus a few more times at the airport. NBD. And the cut off for opposite sex kids is waaaaay older than. 14 months.

Are you from the snarky and TTC board?  

• Options
    Find a corner and change baby there. My lo is over 2 and I have never used one. I find them so nasty as everyone has used them... I d rather lay them on a mat or blanket on floor then wash hands if needed...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"