October 2013 Moms

Second shower

I'm expecting DS2 and do not want to have a HUGE shower like I did with DS1 . I still have most of the things I need except clothes. I trade his clothes in to once upon a child and buy more. I have always done that so I will have to buy him clothes. I was thinking of having a small shower for family and close friends or maybe a diaper and wipes shower. What is everyone else doing? STM for sure! Just looking for ideas. Thanks! :
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Second shower

• I hope you have thick skin and are ready for the responses you are going to get.
    Second baby showers are a big no no around the bump, so just be forewarned!

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Tacky and gift grabby. Ick.
    Due October 29
  • Loading the player...
  • I think a sprinkle is not a big deal. However throwing it for yourself is weird IMO. if someone offers, then that's ok. But to ask for one is tacky IMO as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Who is going to host it for you? It is also up to them on how big the shower or sprinkle will be.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • imageMrsJohnnaJohnson:
    I was thinking of having a small shower for family and close friends or maybe a diaper and wipes shower.

And by I you mean throw yourself one?

Nothing screams "gift grabby" more than throwing yourself a shower for your second child. My suggestion: DON'T DO IT. If someone offers to throw you one, cool. But a shower is a gift, so whether it be diapers and wipes or a brunch with a few well wishers you should not dictate it.

• Wow you guys are thinking way to much into this!

Anyways my husband is having a BBQ type thing with all of his friends and we are asking everyone to bring a small thing of diapers in exchange for food and beer.
  • imagemmgkms:
    imageburduewedding:
    Wow you guys are thinking way to much into this!

Anyways my husband is having a BBQ type thing with all of his friends and we are asking everyone to bring a small thing of diapers in exchange for food and beer.

Ok, if this thread were posted earlier, it would go south FAST after this response.

Exactly! I about choked on my water when I read that.

• imagemmgkms:
    imageburduewedding:

Ok, if this thread were posted earlier, it would go south FAST after this response.

Sorry this has been posted so many times and everyone attacks the person for even thinking about having another shower. I don't just don't see the big deal.
  • imageburduewedding:
    imagemmgkms:
    imageburduewedding:

Sorry this has been posted so many times and everyone attacks the person for even thinking about having another shower. I don't just don't see the big deal.

The issue isnt the shower per say, the issue is your are throwing your own and asking people to bring you a gift. It just seems gift grabby. If someone else offered to do it for you and just requested wipes or diapers, that's one thing. But it's tacky and classless to throw your own.

• imageHFrizzle:
    imageburduewedding:
    imagemmgkms:
    imageburduewedding:

The issue isnt the shower per say, the issue is your are throwing your own and asking people to bring you a gift. It just seems gift grabby. If someone else offered to do it for you and just requested wipes or diapers, that's one thing. But it's tacky and classless to throw your own.

We talked about it will all of our friends and family and that is just how things work in our family. We are all doing it together so I don't see it as us just asking people to bring stuff. I guess it could be weird to you guys but that is how we do it I guess.
  • imageburduewedding:
    Wow you guys are thinking way to much into this! Anyways my husband is having a BBQ type thing with all of his friends and we are asking everyone to bring a small thing of diapers in exchange for food and beer.

Wow...if one of my friends did something like this I don't think I would go. If you are worried about cost, ask them to bring their own beer instead of dictating gifts.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imageburduewedding:

Can I ask a question, why? If you are spending money on food in exchange for diapers, why not just skip that step? I don't really get the point of that. Maybe you should do a meet the baby party instead? With a BBQ or whatever.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • AjoydAjoyd member

imagebabydoll22308:
    imageburduewedding:
    Wow you guys are thinking way to much into this! Anyways my husband is having a BBQ type thing with all of his friends and we are asking everyone to bring a small thing of diapers in exchange for food and beer.
    Can I ask a question, why? If you are spending money on food in exchange for diapers, why not just skip that step? I don't really get the point of that. Maybe you should do a meet the baby party instead? With a BBQ or whatever.

I agree. If you're having a baby-focused party people will bring you gifts, but to me it is tacky to tell them what to bring.

My personal rules of etiquette for showers are somewhat relaxed, but I don't think it is ever okay to throw your own.  

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • AjoydAjoyd member

Burp...

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • imageChrisanna0508:

imageburduewedding:

Wow...if one of my friends did something like this I don't think I would go. If you are worried about cost, ask them to bring their own beer instead of dictating gifts.  

I agree! That's one BBQ I would not be going to.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • No I'm not saying we are throwing it all by ourself my whole family is helping. Sorry for the miss communication.
  • Ooops, nevermind, I got confused about who was the OP! Sorry!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • I agree. Super tacky. Would not go and be prepared for everyone to say how tacky and selfish and gift grabby.
  • I don't think it's ever okay to throw your own shower whether it be your first or second. I don't care what your circumstances are.

OP, thanks for PRing. It sounds like you want to throw your own shower. Please don't do that. Also. Selling DS's clothe was your choice. Just because you didn't keep them does not mean you are entitled to another shower and should expect people to buy you more. If someone wants to throw you a sprinkle or something, that's their choice and a very generous gift. Same goes for anyone that wants to give you anything.
  • I will not be throwing a shower do myself. My sisters want to throw one for me. I think throwing a shower for yourself for any occasion is tacky!!! I want to let them do it because we celebrate EVERYTHING but I still have most of the things from DS1, but if they throw a shower people are goin to want to know where I'm registered and so on and so forth so I was wondering if a diaper party would be better suited or if anyone was doing anything similar
  • I was also simply asking what everyone else was doing. Not posting to get attacked from people assuming in throwing my own shower! Lol lame, but thanks for the input! A lot of it was helpful and a lot more of it was just amusing! Thanks a bunch ladies! : )
  • Register for just the things you need, diapers, wipes, other disposable items, and clothes.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • imageMrsJohnnaJohnson:
    I will not be throwing a shower do myself. My sisters want to throw one for me. I think throwing a shower for yourself for any occasion is tacky!!! I want to let them do it because we celebrate EVERYTHING but I still have most of the things from DS1, but if they throw a shower people are goin to want to know where I'm registered and so on and so forth so I was wondering if a diaper party would be better suited or if anyone was doing anything similar

I honestly thought this thread was DD'ed.

Anyways, your sisters can request diaper and wipes on the invite. Or you can make a simple Amazon registry for them to pass on to guests by word of mouth.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"