Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

still using a monitor?

How long are you/have you been using your monitor?  We have a small house and LO's room is right next door to the master bedroom, so we can hear him without the monitor, but I still like the miked sound of him on the monitor, because it's louder in case I'm in a deep sleep (which hasn't really ever happened).  My H says it's time to stop the monitor because sometimes LO does a mini wakeup at 1 am and then goes right back to sleep, so there's no need for us to be woken up by that since he's not an infant anymore.  I just like to have the information so that I can make a decision about what I want to do.  Any thoughts/perspective?  
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: still using a monitor?

• We still use it overnight. It doesn't hurt anyone to have it on, IMO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I turned it off for good at 9 months, I believe. I'm a very light sleeper and DS's room is really close to ours. Plus at night he talks in his sleep. LOL. He puts himself back to sleep when he wakes up unless he needs something, and by the time he's up between 7 and 7:30, the dogs usually have to pee and have already woken me up Big Smile

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We are the same as you, right across the hall from the fellas. We sleep with both doors open and can hear them just fine. I use the monitor when I am out of earshot and when we are OOT.
    Taking the Scenic Route
    FET: Success! Beta at 14dp5dt: 2427 TWINS!!
  • Nel11Nel11 member
    I still use it and plan to for awhile.  At night, I like the reassurance that I will definitely hear her, and at naps I can't hear her without the monitor from downstairs.
  • We have a video monitor and I still use it.  I always have the sound turned off though.  I just take a peek at him whenever I want to check on him.
    DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • We still use our video monitor every night and for naps. His bedroom is upstairs though, and ours is downstairs. So I really don't know when we'll stop! I guess when he is old enough to safely come downstairs on his own when he wakes up in the morning?
  • We still use it. I think we will use it until he is able to come and get us if something is wrong.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We still use ours. We have a video monitor and I use it when DS naps mostly, just to check on him especially when in the shower or basement where I can't hear him. We share a wall with DS, so I have never used the monitor at night. DS has lings and he let's us know when he needs us.

Maybe keep the monitor volume off while you sleep that way if you roll over an check it you know, but it doesn't disturb DH. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• DD is three.  We still use it.  It's easier for me, so why not.  I doubt I'll get rid of it any time soon.
    IMG_8355
  • I keep it on low. DS has asthma, and occasionally has attacks overnight, so I really need to be able to hear him (generally it manifests as coughing).

He's still a baby in my eyes, too-- he's in a crib and can't get out and get me if he needs help. I feel better knowing I can hear him if he's sick.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• aeh72aeh72 member
    We'll be using it for a while longer.  DS's room is down the hall from us so, while I can hear him if he's really crying, I would not be able to hear any muffled sounds and it just gives me piece of mind to hear him and see on video what may be going on if I hear a strange noise. Plus, I'd like to keep it in there when he transitions to a toddler bed so we can hear and see him if he tries to get up and wants to leave his room.  My brother and SIL are battling that right now with their 2.5 year old.
  • No, I quit using a monitor around 7 months.  Our house is small though so if DS was really upset I would hear him anyway.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• We took a long trip when DD turned one and didn't use it after we got back. Her room is right next to ours and when she needs us, she knows how to get our attention, but she does stir in the night and having the monitor blasting those whines in the middle of the night unnecessarily wakes us up while DD sleeps right through it. Personally, I found that it was easier to tell the difference between a real "come and get me" cry and a whine between sleep cycles when the monitor was *off*. When it's on, I find myself in sleep auto pilot, going to get her when she hasn't really woken up.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm in no hurry to stop using ours.  As PPs have said, we'll probably stop using it once they can walk to our room if they need us.  We have a video monitor and I like being able to check in on them before I go to bed without having to go into their room. Our situation may be a little different that some since they still wake to nurse around 5am each morning. 

Photobucket

IVF #1 was a success! Harrison and Brooke born at 37 weeks. 6lbs8oz and 6lbs11oz. Loving life as a MoM.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracles

• We are still using it at 28 months. His room is right next to ours and I'm a deep sleeper, so I like to have it on in case his wakes up. It's rare these days, but when he wakes up it's usually for a reason and I don't want him to have to scream before we see what he needs.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have a video monitor so I am pretty sure we will use it until she goes off to college....lol
  • J234J234 member
    We have the Angel Care, but turn off the hand-held receivers.  The alarm is loud enough to wake me if she stops moving or climbs out of her crib, but our house is so small I can hear her if she cries.  I don't need it amplified in my ear.  : )
  • imageNel11:
    I still use it and plan to for awhile.  At night, I like the reassurance that I will definitely hear her, and at naps I can't hear her without the monitor from downstairs.
    This
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!
  • We have a video monitor we still use, but only for the visual. We have the sound muted and, since we live with his room right next to ours, are able to hear him if he cries. We look at him here and there for reassurance, and will probably continue using it for quite awhile. It's nice to be able to peek in on him every now and then. If we had just an audio, I probably wouldn't still be using it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Photobucket
    Caleb Jonathan
    Born November 30, 2011

The Winking of an Eye
    A blog about the mommyhood, wifehood and lifehood of a misplaced Minnesotan in SoCal
  • We still use it for both kids.  I like being able to check the monitor for those random sounds and screams to make sure it warrants a visit to their room or not.  DS has had reflux and is prone to vomiting when he coughs a lot.  Many times I've seen him vomiting and I knew that if I didn't have the monitor I wouldn't have been able to tell he vomited and he would've slept in it all night.  For us it's well worth it to still use it.
  • We are still using the monitors for both. Even with rooms right next to/down the hall from us I still don't always hear them in the middle of the night without the monitors, and if I'm doing chores or watching TV during nap I can't always hear them over whatever noise I'm making or if I'm in the basement instead of upstairs. 

We also found the monitor invaluable when moving DD1 out of the crib because we could tell when she was up and playing instead of in bed. Now both girls are in regular beds and in the same room, so having the monitor so we can hear them is even more helpful. Plus, DD1 is almost 3.5 and still doesn't reliably get out of bed and come get us when she needs something. Until both girls are able to do that we'll continue using a monitor in their room.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We still use it at 20months. Our house is 3000 square feet and we cannot hear her on her side of the house.
    "You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • imageHilarityEnsued:
    We have a video monitor and I don't see a reason to ever stop using it.nbsp; I am not glued to checking him out every moment, but I can't see why I would stop using it.nbsp; When another LO comes, we will get an additional camera to hook up to the receiver and put that over the second bed/crib.nbsp; When we turn our downstairs into a playroom, we're getting a third camera for down there so I can keep an eye on all things.Seriously I can't see a reason to stop using the monitor since it's really just a convenience.

This!
  • we stopped using it about a year ago when DS was about 7 or 8 months. we actually gave it away to friends of ours a few months ago. if we had a video monitor I might still use it but we get along just fine without it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We still use ours and probably won't stop until she's old enough to come get us in the morning when she wakes up. Plus, I wouldn't be able to hear her from downstairs when she wakes up from her nap. It's pretty convenient so I see no real reason to stop.  
  • My daughter is 18 months old and I still have our monitor on every night. It's turned down, but honestly, I think I've gotten too used to hearing her noise machine and I might need it to sleep too. Hahaha. I just feel more comfortable with it on.

Also, I babysat for a family a few months before my little girl was born and they still used their video monitors for their (then) 1 and 3 year old.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't use it overnight because I am a light sleeper and I hear him wake up from across the hall. 

I do still use it during naps and when I first put him to bed and I'm downstairs--I turn it off when I go up to bed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"