Breastfeeding

Recommended brands of hospital grade pumps?

I just found out that my insurance will cover the purchase of a new breast pump, but it has to be hospital grade. With DS, I used a Medela PISA and was happy with it. Does anyone have recommended brands? Should I try to stick with Medela? I also see that Ameda has one.
Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: Recommended brands of hospital grade pumps?

• I doubt they cover a purchase of a hospital-grade pump. They may make you purchase through a medical supply company, or they may cover a rental on a hospital-grade. Read that insurance paper work again.
  • I rented Ameda Elite hospital grade for a couple of weeks and it worked awesome to get my milk supply established. I looked into the price and it was about $1000 ,to buy - if your insurance company would cover it that's pretty great.

I ended up buying the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra double electric personal pump for about $300 - I actually find it works almost as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Nope, they definitely cover the purchase. I've verified it several times. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

• Thanks, I'll look into the Ameda one.
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

• I am renting the medela symphony and its sooooo worth it!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I would also be skeptical of an insurance company covering the purchase of a hospital grade pump absent a medical need.

In any case, I borrowed my cousin's Medela Lactina for a year and it was great, especially in the beginning when DS was not latching well and when I returned to work. I think the hospital grade pump saved breastfeeding for us.

• I bought and am using the Medela Symphony and I love it!  No complaints at all.  It was one of the pumps recommended during the breastfeeding class we took.  
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • I use a Medela Symphony as well. That thing is wonderful. I used it when working with my 1st, but didn't when I had my second. I really wanted it again, so I rented one this time around.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• You need a prescription with insurance if they require you to go through a supplier. Granted, I don't think any doctor would have issue since BM is the best milk.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
  • I <3 my medela symphony (rental)!  It's SO much more comfortable than either of the (borrowed) PISAs I use.  
  • Most insurances are covering breast pumps these days and most docs are happy to issue scripts for breast pumps.....pumped milk is still breast milk.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"