Baby Names

Lots of negative remarks

I am 32 weeks today with a little boy. We are naming him journey. Most people like it but family has done nothing but give negative remarks saying its a girl name and to give it a funny spelling like jurnee so he will feel more manly when he grows up. One family member actually said he would hate me and dh for naming him that. Is it really that bad?

Re: Lots of negative remarks

• I don't think it's that bad-- it's not my style, but people sometimes make rude remarks about baby names.  I wouldn't let opinions bother you if you and your H are sold on the name.

On your next go 'round, I would suggest maybe not sharing your baby name choices until the baby is born.  People are less apt to make such comments once the name is attached to a child.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• M0ONM0ON member

imageJourneymichael:
    give it a funny spelling like jurnee so he will feel more manly when he grows up

lol

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok, I'll start off by saying that it was very rude of your family member to tell you that he would hate you over a name. With that being said, I do kinda think that Journey is awful. I don't care for the name at all but if I *had* to choose, I'd think it was more of a girl name. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • It's NMS but I wouldn't call it awful. When we announced my son's name it got negative comments too. If you love it don't let anyone stop you from using it.
  • If you name him Journey, I think you should spell it Journey.

Do not try to jazz it up like Jurnee or Jurnie.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I don't like it, but it's DH's favorite band--so I'd best not mention this to him!

If you like it, then do it. Do you really care what other people think?

I know we tend to be harsh on non-names on this board, and sometimes for good reason, but I don't think this is the worst name I've heard of. There are plenty of hippie children out there without wacko names, and they grew up okay. And for the love of Pete, don't spell it funny. That's just adding insult to injury.

If a family member is going to hate you for naming your child, they need a serious reorganization of their priorities. I wouldn't mind telling them that much, either.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• imageEwych82:

Ok, I'll start off by saying that it was very rude of your family member to tell you that he would hate you over a name. With that being said, I do kinda think that Journey is awful. I don't care for the name at all but if I *had* to choose, I'd think it was more of a girl name. 

This.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes I'm sorry.  Its really that bad.     Its def. nms for a girl but for a boy I can't imagine.    
  • LOL, I thought boy name immediately. And I pretty much hate it, though I've seen way worse.

I would never tell you though.

And please spell it properly. Changing the spelling just screams "illiterate parent" to me

• salt78salt78 member

Well really to me it's not a name...it's a thing you go on. BUT it's also your kid and your choice and whoever said they would hate you for that is a real jerk.

I also don't see how Jurnee makes it more masculine. That's just ridiculous.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Yeah, it's pretty bad and if I had to guess the sex of a person with that name, I would think girl.  That said though, I think your family member was totally out of line to say that.  Bottom line is that despite what your family thinks, and despite what we think, it's your child and your prerogative to name him what you please.

• I don't think it's that bad. I wouldn't use it for my child, boy or girl, but it's your child so you get to pick the name. We have friends that named their son Sto.ne, as in a rock. Everyone thought it was awful but he's 4 now and it fits him. If you and your DH like Journey then go for it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry. It's bad. It's also your choice.

I'd tease you behind your back. 

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • It's pretty bad. 
    Anniversary
  • I knew one Journey girl. I'm just not sure if an adult with this name would be taken seriously as a professional. Something to think about.
  • imageIdani:
    Yes. It is that bad.  I also would assume girl if forced to guess, but in general I feel it's an almost ridiculous name.

Agree completely 

• Yes it it bad. I forsee lots of teasing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageNerdyLucy:

If you name him Journey, I think you should spell it Journey.

Do not try to jazz it up like Jurnee or Jurnie.

I agree with this, 100%.

Also: I don't necessarily hear Girl over Boy. If I heard the name and had to guess the gender, I think I'd actually guess Boy first.

Lastly: I think it's just okay as a name. It's different and "out there" (by my definition) but it's not to horrendous.  I would never use it, but would only slightly side-eye the parents who named their kid this.  :)

• I immediately think girl.
    I don't think that Journeybis a ne though. It's pretty bad.

• cjm724cjm724 member
    It's definitely NMS.
  • It is bad, sorry. You are naming a person, who will have to make their way in this world...not a puppy.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • It IS bad. Please consider that your kid will have to live with this name. People will not be able to tell his sex by looking at his name. People will make fun of his name. For heaven sakes, if you do go with this name, at least spell it correctly. He does not need the added grief of having to spell it out to everyone. Yikes.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I know a 2 year old girl with this name and when we found out that the parents were naming her this we had a good laugh about it (behind their back, we would never say anything to their face).  Sorry, but it is a ridiculous "name" and I would assume someone with the name was a girl and would be pretty shocked to find out it was a boy.

ETA:  Did you family member say HE would hate you or that your baby would hate you (I can't tell what you meant).  If your family member said he would hate you, he is totally out of line.  It is your child and he has no say in naming him.  If he was inferring that your child would hate you for naming him this, I agree.  Maybe hate is to strong of a word, but you are setting him up for a life time of troubles with a name like that, especially when he is an adult.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's worse.  That is just plain awful.  Your friends are being polite and your family is being honest.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • esf60esf60 member

When you tell people your name choice, they're inevitably going to tell you how they feel about it. Just like your family and friends, we here are going to be honest with you too.

With that said, yes, that's a really bad name for a little boy OR girl. I suggest finding another name, if you care what people think.

• It's NMS but I've definitely heard worse.

I actually know a guy named Journey but haven't heard it on a girl. If you use it, do not change the spelling, that's just mean.

• Dang, now I have Don't Stop Believing stuck in my head.
  • CoIvieCoIvie member
    I think girl when I hear it
  • I don't care for it, but worst case scenario and he hates it he can go by Jo?
  • I think we can all dig deep and realize there are many much worse names.

I would think girl, but I don't find it unimaginable on a boy. 

Just spell it as you find it in the dictionary and tell the rude family members to stuff it. 

TTC since 11/10 BFP 12/2/10-MC 12/30/10 BFP 6/12/12-MC 6/29/12 BFP 12/10/12-MC 12/26/12 BFN 1/20/13-Taking a Breather!
  • I know a girl who has a boy Journey. Everyone assumes he is named after the band....or she got knocked up at their concert. Not a fan.
    Also known as esmid001
    Met 12/31/05 * Engaged 12/31/08 * Married 12/31/09

Anniversary

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would assume the baby was a girl.  
  • Yeah, it's bad.  I actually disagree with the "it's your kid, name it whatever you want" argument.  If 99% of people have a negative reaction to the name, maybe you should reconsider.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Makes me think of the 80's band
  • Fine for a MN, pretty bad for a first name.  If it had some natural nickname or something, I could get behind it a little more but it doesn't so I just can't.
  • imagedoremi29:
    Fine for a MN, pretty bad for a first name.  If it had some natural nickname or something, I could get behind it a little more but it doesn't so I just can't.

I really like the thought of Journey as a middle name.  I'm not a particular fan of it as a first name but it's better than naming him something like Dee Jaiye, or Kal El.

Oh and really don't misspell it.  

• IMO it's really bad as a first name, sorry. Please spell it correctly if you do use it though.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Yeah, it's pretty bad on a girl and horrible on a boy. 
  • I would judge the hell out of the parents if I met a kid with this name.
    Birthday

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"