February 2013 Moms

Lists...

I have this terrible habit of writing random to do lists and shopping lists in all sorts of different places. My phone, the iPad, random sticky notes, folded up pieces of paper. It's really annoying. Seriously, I just found half a shopping list stuck to the bottom of my laptop from like a month ago. 

Sooo, all you organized moms out there, what do you use? An app? A planner?  I need something that I can keep with me I can keep separate to do lists and shopping lists. 

I also work from home a little so it would be nice if I could have a separate place for work to dos.

I must get my life together. Thanks in advance!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Our Sweet Boy "LJ"

Re: Lists...

• Have you tried Evernote? There are aps for phone ipad computer and they sync so no matter what you are typing on you can read it on another device. 
  • I haven't heard of this! Thanks for the tip!
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • Loading the player...
  • imageDC2London:

If I had a smartphone, I might do things differently.  But this is what I do and it works wonderfully for me.

I keep a homekeeping binder.  It's a binder I keep in a designated spot and it contains....basically everything I use to run the home.  It's divided up into sections as follows:

Planning - a week-by-week calendar with spaces on each day to write plans/appointments, meal plans, kids' activities and educational activities, and to-do lists.  I also write my shopping list on this page on a designated area in the bottom right corner, and I simply snip that part out with scissors when I go to the store.

Housework - this is where I keep my daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and deep-cleaning cleaning schedules.  I also have an organizing/decluttering calendar and a "Honey Do List" in this section.  My H knows to check the list periodically if he has some free time to work on a project (or....I just nag him)

Education - Probably not necessary for you yet but this is where I plan for and keep track of the educational activities i do with Jack, as well as compiling ideas, brainstorming, etc

Children - Medication dosage charts by weight for Ibuprofin, Acetaminophen, Benadryl, Zyrtec, etc; Milestones charts for each kid where I jot down the age at which they achieve each milestone; stats charts from most recent well-child visits

Mum and Dad - To-do lists for current household projects, craft projects, etc that I am working on; my reading list (books I want to read when I have time),

Inventory - a running inventory of pantry and freezer contents.  This is important for us bc we shop at Costco, and we have a deep freezer, so it would be easy to lose track of what we have on hand and what needs to be purchased.

Finances - comparison shopping price list, accounts and dates of payment, customer service numbers for banks/credit cards, account numbers and customer service numbers for utility companies

Holidays - Christmas card address list, gift ideas list, a list of holiday plans and traditions to keep track of

Emergency - emergency contact phone numbers, poison control, a page listing each person in the house's allergies and current medications 

It might sound overwhelming but I put the whole thing together in one morning. 

Dude, I am seriously impressed by this. This is what I need in my life. For each of your sections, do you create your own spreadsheets/calendars?  

Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • We have a whiteout board on the refrigerator that we can add random food items or household items too. Then every Sunday I'll hop online and pick out some recipes for the upcoming week. I then make a list on paper with a veggie, dairy, meat, and misc. section where I add all the needed ingredients for the recipes I chose plus the random items added to the whiteboard throughout the week. That way I'm buying exactly what I need for the entire weeks' meals and there shouldn't be too much extra food that will end up spoiling.
    For the random household stuff we just add it too the whiteboard and go shopping maybe once a month.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• DCLondon I have something very similar and I love it! Althought you gave me some good idea of things I don't have.

I keep a weekly flow as in what things do I do each day. Grocery shopping is on the same day each week, cleaning bathrooms is the same day, laundry is everyday...things like that.
    Here is a website where they give you lots of idea of how to start a "home organization binder" and really the idea is to taylor it to what you need.

https://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2012/02/awaythroughthewildernessyourhomemanegmentbinder.html

Sorry it's not clicky, I am mobile right now.

Here is a link for a ton of premade pages that you can use and alter to fit your needs. My favorite by far is the meal planning with shopping list it really helps!

https://printables.yourway.net/homemanagementnotebook/

Hope that helps! It took me about a week to read lots about the way that other people do it and see what our family really needs and then put it all together. I also print out only one page and put it in a page protector and just write on it with a visa vi market so I can clean it each week and not have to re print all the time!
    HTH!

Married to DH 10.29.11

DD born 1.26.13
    DS born 6.12.14
    #3 due 12.6.16

• Umm,  I can barely find time to poop.  I don't understand how you can do this with 2 children.  I bow down.
  • I would love too see what you guys have on your household to do lists. All I really do is dishes, vacuum and laundry and call it good. I conveniently ignore anything to do with the bathroom. These list ideas are great! I'm now imagining all the things I could get done if I just had a list.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• imagecmgedney:
    Have you tried Evernote? There are aps for phone ipad computer and they sync so no matter what you are typing on you can read it on another device. 

I second this. I consult with a lot of business people that use Apple products, and this is one of the main apps I mention. There's another one called Evernote Hello that's kind of like a cool address book, but you can store people's pictures and facts about them. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lbug09Lbug09 member
    For grocery lists, just discovered this free app called Food on the table. I just got it but I think I'm totally goimg to love it. You put in your store that you shop at, it will tell you what's on sale, you tell it your food preferences and it'll come up with rrecipes for you to choose and create your shopping list for you!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"