Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Prenatals

Did you continue to take your prenatals after a miscarriage?  I was told to stop them a week before my D&C, but I think that was just for the surgery.  My doctor didn't say and of course I forgot to ask.  I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to have a healthy pregnancy next time.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Prenatals

• I didn't have a dc but after my mc last week my Dr said to continue ny prenatals. I was taking prenatals before I got pregnant.
    Me and DH 27 DD 4.5 TTC since June 2011 once IUD was removed Irregular AF since removal Fertilaid 9/2012-10/2012 finally regularity with AF 11/2012 spotting for a week no AF
  • imageapietro1027:
    I didn't have a dc but after my mc last week my Dr said to continue ny prenatals. I was taking prenatals before I got pregnant.

Same for me - no D&C, but I did continue taking prenatals after my MC and I had been doing so before conceiving.

I have heard of other posters here who were told to avoid folic acid (which is in prenatal vitamins) while taking misoprostol or methotrexate because folic acid can prevent those meds from being effective.

• Loading the player...
  • I had a mc on 2.21 and ended up having a dnc the next day. I never was off prenatal except for the day of surgery maybe and i hsve been tsking them ever since. My Dr never said anything to me about stopping them. So not sure why they would have you stop. Would be interesting to know.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Not sure why they told you to stop taking them.  That seems odd.  Other than not taking it within so many hours before my d&c, I was told to continue taking them if I had any interest in TTC again. 

There have been at least a few studies that show that taking a prenatal at least 6 months prior to conception is necessary for folic acid to be at desired levels in your body.  If you don't start taking them until after your BFP, it's pretty much too late for the folic acid to do its job.  BUT THAT'S NOT TO SAY IT'S NOT STILL IMPORTANT TO TAKE THEM WHEN YOU GET YOUR BFP!  

Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • I am still taking mine.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• My OB knows that we are going to continue trying, so she advised me to keep taking my prenatals. 
  • Only stopped for the day of the D&C.  I'm keeping as many of my good ju-ju vitamins and hormones as possible so am continuing to take them :)
    Began trying for a baby January 2012
    BFP 4.25.2013  EDD 1.3.2014  MMC 6.3.2013  D&C 6.19.2013
    BFP 11.3.2013  CP 11.6.2013
    BFP 3.31.2014 EDD 12.10.2014 Baby boy Carlson born 12.19.2014 
  • My mc was 3 weeks ago, and I'm still taking mine since we will ttc again...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"