Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Just going to be a big eater?

So let me start by saying my first was a very petite (tall and skinny) girl who was always around 5% for her weight so this may just be a boy thing but...

Thomas eats a TON. Like, 6 oz every 2.5 hours all day long. He would eat more if I would let him but it's obvious his tummy can't handle that much because he will spit it back out. He's been eating like this since he was 10 weeks old-  I've started giving him rice cereal in the morning about 1.5 hours after his morning bottle since he's almost 4 months, otherwise he will be needing a bottle not too long after I drop him off at daycare- and he will eat at least 2 ounces and probably more if I made it.

Is this normal? I would say it was the 3-4 month growth spurt but like I said he's been consistently eating like this for five weeks. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Just going to be a big eater?

• 1st, stop the rice cereal. Your LO isn't old enough and it doesn't contain any nutrition. Is he eating every 2.5 hours just during the day, or overnight too? That's going to make a huge difference. FTR, DS ate 40 ounces of formula a day for a while there, between like 5 and 9 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You don't say how big your son is but why are you focused this much on how much he's eating? My LO eats 6 oz every 2 hrs throughout the day then STTN. He eats 32 to 34 oz during normal days and 34 to 40 oz when he's in a growth spurt. And I 2nd stop with the rice cereal. Does your pediatrician know you're doing that? It made me a little sad to read you were filling him up just so he wouldn't eat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • =Lee=B=Lee=B member

You didn't mention his weight and weight gain trend.  Have you spoken with your ped?

I wouldn't be giving him cereal at that age. 

• Everything PPs have said. My LO is only 25th percentile for weight, she eats 5 to 6 ounces every two hours during the day, but she sleeps 12 hours at night.

BabyFruit Ticker

• He STTN, so he's taking in about 40 ounces a day.

My pediatrician said as long as he is still drinking the same amount of formula (he's showing all the signs of being ready for food)- when I said I was giving him cereal in the morning, if I try giving him another bottle too soon he will spit up. He will eat at 5 am, I drop him off at 7 am and they don't get into the infant room until 7:30 so I try to be courteous and not have him screaming for a bottle as soon as he gets there. He will get his second bottle no later than 8 so the cereal doesn't get him off schedule. Dropping it would be easier on me as it takes more time doing that- just thinking it helped a little.

As far as size, he weighed 11 lbs 12 oz at two months (I believe it was 53%), 8 lbs 3 oz at birth which was around the 50% as well so he's been on a steady track. He weighed 16 lbs on the baby scale I have at home (although I know that's not 100% accurate) which is in the 75% range so quite a jump in the last 7 weeks.

He is tall- almost 27" which he has jumped from around the 75% at birth-two months to above 90%.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • That seems normal to me but I'm glad you talked to your ped. I sympathize with the feeding timing thing because I'm having anxiety attacks about LO's schedule as I go back to work. My evening commute is over two hours and he'll be with me two days a week so I'm hoping he can start going a little longer between feedings soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't be too hard on yyourself. Most women on here are breastfeeding their babies until age 5. If he's almost 4 months cereal is totally fine. I just started my four month old on it and she loves it. She sits up and opens her mouth for the spoon. She went through a growth spurt where she was taking 6 oz every 23 hours for about 2 weeks shes almost 13 lbs. Sounds like your boy is just a big boy and right on track. dont worry! All these questions are so short lived because soon enough he will tell you exactly how much he wants.
  • DCKateDCKate member
    Seriously, there is nothing wrong with rice cereal. I've heard it's fine from several docs, including DS's pedi and my husband who is also a doc.
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • My DS2 eats 5 oz every 2 1/2 hours during the day. He is a super chunky guy. He doesn't seem to be starving or looking for more, though, when he is done with the bottle and he sleeps 10 to 12 hours at night so i know he is getting enough. If your LO will take more at a feeding why don't you let him? He might space them out a bit if you did. Other than that I would follow your baby's hunger cues and offer the bottle when he needs it rather than using cereal at this point.

image image
  • imagemeri1207:
    Don't be too hard on yyourself. Most women on here are breastfeeding their babies until age 5. If he's almost 4 months cereal is totally fine. I just started my four month old on it and she loves it. She sits up and opens her mouth for the spoon. She went through a growth spurt where she was taking 6 oz every 23 hours for about 2 weeks shes almost 13 lbs. Sounds like your boy is just a big boy and right on track. dont worry! All these questions are so short lived because soon enough he will tell you exactly how much he wants.

Seriously? GTFO trolly troll.

• My lo is 4 months and is having no trouble with solids. Its totally fine to feed him solids. Don't listen to moms who tell you to BF only. My LO also eats a ton until she spits it back up. I think they are just not sure how much they can handle so they overeat but they will learn and yes its normal.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • On Friday afternoon, DD would not accept anything less than TWELVE ounces.  In one sitting.  Yes, twelve.  I thought she was going to explode, and tried to encourage her to stop by swapping the bottle for a paci, but she wasn't having any of it.

That is the equivalent of a Coke can.  WTF, baby?!  I can only attribute it to a growth spurt.  She had another feed a little later, although not quite so large.  FWIW, she's already in the 97th percentile for height and weight.  With any luck this means we can start to see her having fewer - but bigger - feeds per day.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"