December 2013 Moms

Restless, Violent Sleep

Hell ladies I am new to this, I have been stalking the site for a few weeks now, and I have a question.

I am 15 weeks pregnant, I work overnights at an assisted living facility. I normally go to bed around 4-5 in the afternoon so I can get some rest before I have to be at work at 11pm. However since I have been pregnant I haven't been able to sleep. My problem is my DH works overnight as well, and before I started working overnight I would be alone at night in our bed, which is find because I realize when he is in the bed with me i can't sleep. So now we are both on the same overnight schedule and I absolutley can't sleep, and my DH says I have become violent in my sleep since I got pregnant, for example...He says I toss and turn so much and i I constantly kick him in his sleep, whether he is near me or not, he says I will move over to his side of the bed and just kick him, sad thing is I don't recall doing it. He says sometimes I even take the pillow and hit him. Last night we were in bed and i was just starting to fall asleep around 9:40pm and our cat knocked the fan out the bedroom window, it fell so hard I jumped up and slapped my hubby in the back and he jumped up, again I didn't recall doing this. I told him this morning I am gonna try and sleep in the guess room so we both can get a full nights rest.

Anyone have any experience like this while pregnant? Should I bring it up to my OB? I am even considering changing shifts at work for the duration of my pregnancy, so I can sleep.

Re: Restless, Violent Sleep

• I'm sorry you're experiencing this, I have not personally experienced this but I do have advice for you. I'm sorry, but when I was reading this I started laughing because I just pictured you randomly smacking your husband with a pillow. Haha. I would think if this is a behavior that is uncommon for you outside if pregnancy, it might be the increase of hormones, or just you being uncomfortable at night. I would talk to your OB about it though, they might be able to give you something that will help you sleep and relax. They will usually recommend ambien, but in your case it might not be the right medication for you, due to the fact that you're already waking up at some points to do these sleep activities, and ambien can enhance that in some people. Perhaps you can try a natural melatonin when you're trying to sleep, or even the medication Alteril, which you can get OTC. It's natural also but seems to work the best out of all the OTC sleep medications, and has the ingredient tryptophan. That's the chemical in turkey that makes you sleepy after eating a bunch of it on thanksgiving. So ask your OB, but those would be the natural solutions I would recommend for you since you do have to work during the night. Ambien you have to sleep a full 8 hours with or you can have some drowsy effects, which can be dangerous while working and driving. The melatonin and Alteril just help you fall asleep and remain relaxed, they don't have a specific time frame in which you have to sleep, and you don't have any of those side effects. Good luck to you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wedding Countdown Ticker

imageimageimage
  • I am not having trouble to the extent you are, but can understand! Since becoming pregnant my sleep is very interrupted, and when I wake up I feel angry about having to move and readjust. I've ended up on the couch several times already. I hope you find something that helps, I try Benadryl which usually works, but that doesn't seem to cut it anymore.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Expecting our first, baby BOY, 12/12/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanx for the suggestions ladies, I think I am gonna try sleeping in another room and see how that works out, but I am going to talk to my OB and see what she thinks. I have been good without having to take medication so far besides my prenatal, I don't want to take something if I don't have to... But u seriously need sleep, catch22 smh
  • imageBooBear1543:
    Thanx for the suggestions ladies, I think I am gonna try sleeping in another room and see how that works out, but I am going to talk to my OB and see what she thinks. I have been good without having to take medication so far besides my prenatal, I don't want to take something if I don't have to... But u seriously need sleep, catch22 smh

Agreed. While Benadryl is on the safe list, I don't want to depend on it or take it constantly. Good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Expecting our first, baby BOY, 12/12/13
  • Unisom is also on the safe list, but you definitely want to be able to devote 8+ hours to sleep if you take it. Otherwise, you'll be very groggy when you wake up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"