Dads & Dads-to-be

5 Thing Thursday

Here we go again.

1) Best vacation you've ever been on?  What vacation(s) are you really looking forward to taking your kid(s) on in the future?  Gone on any with your kid(s) yet?

2) If you could build your dream house, what "extra" room would you want?  A game room?  Home gym?  4 car garage?

3-5 are you.

Re: 5 Thing Thursday

• 1) Best vacation you've ever been on?  What vacation(s) are you really looking forward to taking your kid(s) on in the future?  Gone on any with your kid(s) yet?

Best vacation I've ever been on was one of two.  When I was much younger my family did what I like to refer to as our "East Coast tour"... We drove from Indiana to Detroit, then to Toronto (saw part of a Blue Jay game), Niagara Falls, Cooperstown, NY for the Baseball Hall of Fame, then Boston (saw a game in Fenway), Plymouth, MA, New York City for a couple days, then Philly for a day and on the way home stopped at the the Wright Patterson Air Force Base museum in Dayton, OH.  It would either be that as a child or as an adult, I'd probably say my honeymoon... it was Disney World.  All the worries in the world were gone, it was just us in the "happiest place on Earth".   As far as looking forward to in the future, my wife and I just agreed we will take the kids to Disney World in 2015 when my oldest is just over 4 and youngest will almost be 2.  I just want to see them experience meeting Mickey and stuff through the eyes of a child (my first visit was when I was a teen, so I'm sure it lost some of the "magic").  We have yet to go on a vacation as a family of 4, but last year we took J (our oldest) out to see my sister in Maryland, we went to Philly and hit some kid friendly things there like Sesame Place (a theme park geared for the 7 and under crowd).

2) If you could build your dream house, what "extra" room would you want?  A game room?  Home gym?  4 car garage?

First would be a home theater room with a moderate sized bedroom off it as a media library for DVDs and BluRays.  We have a media library in the house we live in now, but no room specifically set aside with theater seating or anything.  We already have the theater style popcorn machine.  After that, a game room with a pool table would be kinda cool.

3) The entire house is sick.  My wife got hit with a round of vertigo Tuesday... I have a really, really bad cold and I think the boys have it too.  My sons are both coughing like it is breaking up for them, but neither of them know that they should get anything they cough up out, so they just wind up swallowing it back down and starts the cycle over again most times.

4) Taking care of sick kids SUCKS when you are sick and all you want to do yourself is take a nap.  But, it is part of being a parent... I just nap when they do.

5) To paraphrase Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.... Carlos Marmol should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.  I will be so glad when he's off the Cubs' books and bullpen next year.

• 1.  This is a really tough one but I would have to say my honeymoon.  We took a road trip through Pennsylvania, down to Virginia Beach, visiting various amusement parks on the way.  Our two week trip to Rome and the Mediterranean is a close second.

We don't have any vacations planned currently but it would be nice to finally schedule a vacation in which we just relax the whole time.  Our trip to London/Ireland, while very fun and interesting, also included a ton of time spent on planes.  I want to go to an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica or someplace tropical.

2.  I would love a game room.  Shuffleboard, bar, darts, and a few arcade cabinets.  Full size X-Men game, Afterburner, Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

3.   It's pretty sad when your team (the Tigers) are leading the division but are doing it in such a mediocre way that it drives you bonkers trying to watch them.  Our bullpen is going to be the death of this team as it was last year...I can't believe Jose Valverde is allowed to close a game in the Majors.  He's abysmal.

4.  The weather has been so nice lately and all I want to do is go camping.  We got all this new camping equipment this past Christmas but this summer is so busy for us.  Every weekend is booked.  Baby showers, birthing classes, weddings, etc.  It's crazy.

5.  Just a little over one week before Tough Mudder.  The nerves are starting to kick in again as I get closed to the event.  My workouts have been going good but I haven't been running any significant distances so it will be interesting how things play out next weekend. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagepolooo26:

5) Going on vacation next week to Branson with my wife's family. It's Wednesday-Sunday, but I have to come back ealy to work a Saturday. Almost everyone else can't make the whole time either so it's not too bad.

Are you making a trip to Silver Dollar City?  They have one helluva coaster they just built this year (Outlaw Run).  Wooden coaster with a double barrel roll.  It's also a nice family-friendly park. 

• imagepolooo26:
    imagefutant462:
    imagepolooo26:

5) Going on vacation next week to Branson with my wife's family. It's Wednesday-Sunday, but I have to come back ealy to work a Saturday. Almost everyone else can't make the whole time either so it's not too bad.

Are you making a trip to Silver Dollar City?  They have one helluva coaster they just built this year (Outlaw Run).  Wooden coaster with a double barrel roll.  It's also a nice family-friendly park. 

Yeah, we plan too. We'll probably end up there twice because all there tickets are basically 2-day tickets. I read about the new coaster. I'll probably give it a try, but anymore they just make me sick.

Let me know how it is.  I've never been anywhere near Missouri and Outlaw Run is already being hailed as a top 5 coaster in the world.   

• imagepolooo26:
    imagefutant462:
    imagepolooo26:
    imagefutant462:
    imagepolooo26:

Yeah, we plan too. We'll probably end up there twice because all there tickets are basically 2-day tickets. I read about the new coaster. I'll probably give it a try, but anymore they just make me sick.

Let me know how it is.  I've never been anywhere near Missouri and Outlaw Run is already being hailed as a top 5 coaster in the world.   

Really, I had no idea. I'll make sure to let you know. I don't have much to compare it to though. I usually base my experiences off of how smooth the ride is.

It's a wooden coaster that rides as smooth as steel.  It has a double barrel roll (first for a wooden coaster) and a ton of airtime.  Plus it's built in the woods so I've heard the night rides are amazing.  

Soooo jealous. 

• Damn, that coaster looks pretty sweet.  Then again, Son of Beast LOOKED sweet, but wound up hurting people it was so rough, but if it is said to ride like a steal coaster, who knows.
  • imagepolooo26:

imageColtsdad:
    Damn, that coaster looks pretty sweet.  Then again, Son of Beast LOOKED sweet, but wound up hurting people it was so rough, but if it is said to ride like a steal coaster, who knows.

I wouldn't trust anything called "Son of Beast".

Son of Beast was never "fun" but I wouldn't call it the roughest coaster I've ever been on.  That honor goes to Mean Streak at Cedar Point.

• 1. Italy. We spent three days each in Florence, Rome, and Naples. Florence was stunningly beautiful and Rome was so impressive and humbling. Naples was a complete hole but it had great food and we weren't there to see it, we were there to jump between Pompeii and Positano. Everything went swimmingly except that last day where we went to Positano. The ferry to get there sold us one way tickets and told us they were round trip so we ended up nearly stranded because we didn't bring enough euro to purchase return tickets. I was upset about our treatment but it was the last day so it didn't spoil the otherwise perfect trip.

2. Going big: a detached garage with a mother in law suite over it. Otherwise, probably an arcade / game room. I'd love a stand up MAME machine (arcade cabinet that plays thousands of games) and a pinball machine or two.

3. A magazine brought my dog in for a photoshoot this week. It was fun but I feel bad because I was under the impression they just wanted him so I just took him myself. When I got there, they explained that they wanted to use me too. Had I known that, I would have brought my wife too!

4. I think I've figured out nursery plans. Just waiting another couple weeks for the anatomy scan to get started, though I'll be painting the room a sort of khaki either way.

5. I really ought to be cleaning but I'm dragging knowing I have to go in to work a 48 hour shift starting tomorrow morning. On my wife's birthday, go figure.

• imagetheGDpaterfamilias:

I'd love a stand up MAME machine

This x1000

I want every game from my childhood in one convenient machine.  Bad Dudes, N.A.R.C, Turtles in Time, Samurai Showdown...gotta make that happen. 

• 1) Best non-vacation vacation is 10 weeks in Germany where I had most weekends off to do what I wanted and it was also during the spring where there was extra holidays thrown in.  Can't forget the weekend in Switzerland when my now wife came to visit.

Best vacations were the two that my family took driving out West.  One was during the 1984 US Olympics.  We saw the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, and a lot of other National Parks.

2) I would put in a home gym with heavy weights also a game room with a stocked bar.

3) My one boss finally realized that with all of my others duties that I don't have a lot of time working on drawings so he is transferring more of work to an awesome co-op who I hope we hire.

4) Got two box games over the past few weeks, Stone Age which is an awesome game and Dominion that I have played once and got hooked.

5) Have game night planned with our huge gaming couple who always goes to both Origins and GenCon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"