June 2013 Moms

Where is my milk

After two hours of bfing baby is screaming for more. Thank god I had formula. It sucks but looks like I can't breastfeed.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Where is my milk

• I would see a LC before you give up
  • Try pumping it and then bottle feeding. That's what Inam having to do.
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe it's just a comfort thing and baby is actually getting enough. See a lactation consultant or a pediatrician before giving up.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg
  • I agree with pp about speaking with a LC. Totally worth it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can't see tickets but how far PP are you?

CJ 05/29/2013

• Agree with all the pps. It's gets better! Try a pacifier even, but see a lc. I'm lucky enough my midwives provide one for 6 weeks pp. if you are really frustrated and need peace of mind pump and see if your milk has come in or even supplement with ur milk. I can't believe how many people tell me they didn't make enough milk while this does happen it is certainly not common or humans wouldn't have made it this long. Get to a local la lache group most are helpful and supportive and will be invaluable in the months to come! Good luck! Hang in there!

LOUD NOISES!

K- born 7/5/2011

G- born 6/24/2013

• Get a scale and weigh the baby before and after your feelings. You wil be able to see how much milk he's taking in. That's what my lactation consultant had me do when I was worried that I wasn't making enough milk.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hello,
    I am from the June 2012 board.. I struggled with this also when I first had my daughter. DD would scream seemingly for ever because she constantly wanted to nurse. The one thing I realize a she grew out of that phase and had to supplement was I wasn't takin care of myself. I know it seems hard but relax. Eat well, drink well. These thing will change your ability to produce milk and you baby will likely respond I your behavior. I saw this in my daughter. Good luck and congratulations!
  • REWOP2REWOP2 member
    I would definitely keep nursing, and try not to supplement until you talk to a LC! You don't want to loose what supply you have now!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jefkjefk member
    I can't wait to see the LC tomorrow.  LO is 6 days old and has no interest in the boob - I think my nipples are too flat for her to get a hold of properly.  I've been pumping and feeding, plus supplementing with formula (she was jaundiced at birth and the pedi recommended it until my milk fully came in).  I'm hoping it gets better!!
  • jefkjefk member
    imageBonnieK10:

The pedi told me the same thing.  Don't give up on the BFing!  Has LO been able to get a decent latch?  She may just be getting frustrated at that rather than the flatness of your nipples if she hasn't.  My LO had trouble latching for a while and it helped me to put a warm washcloth on my boobs to soften then nipple for her and also to squeeze out some milk before putting her to the breast so it'd be easier for her to access the milk.  If you really really really can't get her to take the boob, keep pumping to keep your supply up until you see an LC.  Give her the pumped milk first and then supplement what you have to with the formula.  I'm sure there are ways to BF with flat nipples, it'll just take more work for you and baby.  Hang in there Momma!  You're doing good, don't give up!

Thanks for the encouragement - I need it.  LO will latch, but gets frustrated after a minute and arches her back and screams.  She'll do that a few times on one side, then won't even take the other side.  I'm so frustrated.  I've been trying to feed after pumping (since my nipples are enormous after being in "the bullhorns" as DH calls them), but she wants nothing to do with it.  I'm hoping the LC will help.  I saw one in the hospital but she wasn't great.

• imagejefk:
    I can't wait to see the LC tomorrow.  LO is 6 days old and has no interest in the boob - I think my nipples are too flat for her to get a hold of properly.  I've been pumping and feeding, plus supplementing with formula (she was jaundiced at birth and the pedi recommended it until my milk fully came in).  I'm hoping it gets better!!

I have the same problem as you. Flat nipples and she wouldn't latch. The LC at the hospital got me a nipple shield and it has been a life saver! It also stretches your nipple out a little. Right now we are trying to switch from the nipple shield to just the nipple but its still pretty tricky.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"