Baby Names

Calliope/Callie

I LOVE the nn Callie, but not so sure about Calliope (Kah-lye-ope). 

Is Callie an acceptable nn for Camille?

WDYT of Callie as her first name, not her nn?

Thanks! :) 

ETA: FWIW I have two older boys named Cooper and Chase.  

Re: Calliope/Callie

• My husband and I have decided to name our daughter Callie. No longer name. We haven't decided on a middle name. You'll probably get several comments about needing a longer name since I've seen that recently about the name callie.
    CafeMom Tickers
  • +ASH++ASH+ member
    I think it sounds nice as a nickname for Camille. I think I've seen Calla mentioned before as a more formal name. Calliope is nice, but I don't know if I'd have the guts to use it :)
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • Loading the player...
  • I pronounce it Kah-llee-oh-peh (-pee in English). Wouldn't pronounce it Kah-lye-etc.
    Anniversary
  • imageBulgariHeart:
    I pronounce it Kah-llee-oh-peh (-pee in English). Wouldn't pronounce it Kah-lye-etc.

This.  I know a little girl named Callie, not short for anything.   I think it is kind of a stretch for Camille, and Camille is so pretty I wouldn't want to shorten it.  I like PPs suggestion of Calla.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have never understood calliope. Honestly i think it's horrible. I think Callie is good on its own but how about Caroline, calista, calla, Camille, Camilla, calina
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBlinkingLight1:

I LOVE the nn Callie, but not so sure about Calliope (Kah-lye-ope). 

Is Callie an acceptable nn for Camille?

WDYT of Callie as her first name, not her nn?

Thanks! :) 

ETA: FWIW I have two older boys named Cooper and Chase.  

I personally love Calliope. As for the pronunciation, I do believe its said Kuh-Lie-O-Pea. When I hear Camille, I think Cam, Cami, and Millie as NNs, not Callie.

If you love the name Camille along with Callie, I don't see why not. There is the possibility of Callie as a nickname for Camille not sticking through her schooling years and whatnot, so that is something to consider;  I know sometimes us mommies get upset when the nickname their child ends up with wasn't the one we originally "planned on". :P

I find Callie to be a perfectly acceptable first name all on its own.

gl & happy name hunting! 

TTC since 11/10 BFP 12/2/10-MC 12/30/10 BFP 6/12/12-MC 6/29/12 BFP 12/10/12-MC 12/26/12 BFN 1/20/13-Taking a Breather!
  • I would do Calista nn Callie or Camilla/Camille nn Cami. I don't think Callie makes sense for Camilla/Camille.

• I say Calliope as Kuh-Lie-O-Pea too.  I've never heard anyone say it with Lee in the middle as opposed to Lie/Lye sound!

Anyway... I don't really love Calliope.  I like Callie, and I think it's fine as a standalone name. I don't think it has to be a shortened version of a longer name. (Though I will say, I see a lot of people on this board say they really don't like Callie. I don't understand why, though!)

• My name is Kallie and I hardly have anyone ask me if it is short for something else. I really don't have a nickname from it either, other than a few close friends cal me Kall. My middle name is Jo.
  • There were a lot of opinions yesterday on the same name, linked just so you have it:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/74807985.aspx

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I also never really understood the hype of Calliope. Maybe, it's because I never really understood how to say and I was afraid others would mess it up too! haha! 

I think Callie is fine on it's own. I do like Camille, but on it's own. I think Calla is a beautiful name too. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • It's pretty but I think she would end up correcting people ALL the time, as someone who had to do that, it's ANNOYING.

I like Callie, I have a friend who named her daughter Hallie, it's not short for anything.

• I really like Calliope.  It's a name from Greek mythology (one of the nine Muses) and my parents raised my geeky self on that stuff from a young age, so I've never really understood why people can't pronounce it or think it doesn't age well or whatever.  I would not use Callie by itself as a full name or as a nickname for Camille, personally, but I don't think either one is awful.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I know a girl named Callie.

Calliope makes me think of Cantaloupe or Antelope.  

Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Thanks for all the input! I'm starting to think about just using Callie. My name is Tavia, and no one ever says it right (which I have always hated) so I don't want to do that to my daughter. 
  • imagemegemoney:

I know a girl named Callie.

Right?!?! Calliope Is terrible. Am I missing something? Because it sounds like a version of Penelope. I thought I was pronouncing it wrong. In all honesty, she is going to hate you, her name. Some of you are off your flippin rockers with this one.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love Callie, it's my current fave! I would not make it short for anything--I don't like any of the longer options and I like it by itself. It means "beautiful" which I love, and actually, the name by itself was most popular back in the 1880s which I also think is cool. I think it is totally fine to choose a name that is normally a nn and leave it by itself!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I'm a fan of Calliope. (Kuh-LIE-uh-pee. Ends like the ending of Penelope.) And I think Callie is a cute nn.

I like Camille, but prefer Millie as the nn for that. 

I just want to give you a world as beautiful as you are to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagelynelise04:
    imagemegemoney:

I know a girl named Callie.

Right?!?! Calliope Is terrible. Am I missing something? Because it sounds like a version of Penelope. I thought I was pronouncing it wrong. In all honesty, she is going to hate you, her name. Some of you are off your flippin rockers with this one.

I agree with these two. It's an awful name. I saw it seriously thought it said cantelope. Ugh. Callie is great.

Lilypie - (A6Jy)

• I have a friend whose daughter is Callie, short for Calista.

Photobucket imageimage

• 2Dash2Dash member

Calliope makes me think of the book Middlesex (really good book - really would not use that name ever after reading it...)

I like Callie and I love Camille.  I have a friend Camille who goes by Cam not sure if Callie would be a strech.

Have you consider Cayleigh.  I think Callie would be a good nickname for that name.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"