Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

$1 Billion football stadium for Atlanta

I'm not sure if there are any Atlanta Falcons fans here.  Regardless, the team is looking to build a $1 Billion stadium for 2017...only about 20 years after the Georgia Dome was built.  The design looks amazing but I can't imagine what this will do to ticket prices.  Plus they expect the taxpayers to front $200 million to build it.  Here's the link (sorry it's not clicky, I'm on mobile):

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/falcons-initial-approval-forward-futuristic-stadium-design-212055897.html

What do you think?  Is this a good idea for the city or a colossal waste of money and resources?  Is there a point to building a new stadium to replace a facility that is really not that old? 

Re: $1 Billion football stadium for Atlanta

• Options
    imagepolooo26:

This still horrifies me. Although really, most of those coaches are indirectly compensated through boosters and deep-pocketed donors.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Options
    imagefutant462:

I'm not sure if there are any Atlanta Falcons fans here.  Regardless, the team is looking to build a $1 Billion stadium for 2017...only about 20 years after the Georgia Dome was built.  The design looks amazing but I can't imagine what this will do to ticket prices.  Plus they expect the taxpayers to front $200 million to build it.  Here's the link (sorry it's not clicky, I'm on mobile):

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/falcons-initial-approval-forward-futuristic-stadium-design-212055897.html

What do you think?  Is this a good idea for the city or a colossal waste of money and resources?  Is there a point to building a new stadium to replace a facility that is really not that old? 

If it's a legit 20-80 split between the taxpayers and team that's far from the worst deal I've seen. That said, I think taxpayers should not negotiate with pro sports teams. Let the private sector build its own stadiums. With the financial crisis and a lot of cities going broke, we've seen that it's actually worked quite well when cities don't have the cash to bid on teams.

I also love the fact Los Angeles may never have another NFL team simply because they won't bend over and pay for a stadium. 2nd biggest metro in the country and their closest NFL team is my Chargers.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sure that someone, somewhere is under the impression that a new stadium would likely mean at least 1 Super Bowl, at least 1 NCAA Championship Football game, and multiple Final Fours.  I've seen the impact that a Super Bowl and Final Fours can do for a city first hand, but Atlanta has never really been the "best" sports town... they hardly support teams that win at times.
  • Options
    imageLuckyDad:
    imagefutant462:

If it's a legit 20-80 split between the taxpayers and team that's far from the worst deal I've seen. That said, I think taxpayers should not negotiate with pro sports teams. Let the private sector build its own stadiums. With the financial crisis and a lot of cities going broke, we've seen that it's actually worked quite well when cities don't have the cash to bid on teams.

I also love the fact Los Angeles may never have another NFL team simply because they won't bend over and pay for a stadium. 2nd biggest metro in the country and their closest NFL team is my Chargers.

Its interesting you mention the 80-20 split because the Red Wings just announced plans for a new arena today and they are asking the taxpayers to go 40-60 with the developers.  I have no idea where Detroit is going to come up with that money since they're practically bankrupt. 

• Options
    imagefutant462:

Its interesting you mention the 80-20 split because the Red Wings just announced plans for a new arena today and they are asking the taxpayers to go 40-60 with the developers.  I have no idea where Detroit is going to come up with that money since they're practically bankrupt. 

Also, where are the Red Wings gonna go?

The Maple Leafs don't want a team in nearby Hamilton, Ontario. Otherwise, Canada is looking pretty full of teams these days. I suppose Atlanta or Houston could be options, but it's not like the Atlanta Thrashers were selling tons of tickets.

Seattle? Because of the NHL's over expansion and natural geographic limitations, there just aren't many cities teams can threaten to move to. At least the NFL having LA open lets every team threaten a move there to try to get their cities to play ball.

• Options
    imageLuckyDad:
    imagefutant462:

Also, where are the Red Wings gonna go?

The Maple Leafs don't want a team in nearby Hamilton, Ontario. Otherwise, Canada is looking pretty full of teams these days. I suppose Atlanta or Houston could be options, but it's not like the Atlanta Thrashers were selling tons of tickets.

Seattle? Because of the NHL's over expansion and natural geographic limitations, there just aren't many cities teams can threaten to move to. At least the NFL having LA open lets every team threaten a move there to try to get their cities to play ball.

No way Detroit would let the Wings move if that's what you mean.  The owners are not threatening to move, but Joe Louis arena is over 30 years old and it's in pretty poor shape.  They need a new arena and it sounds like this one will be nearer to Comerica Park and Ford Field, pretty much creating a downtown sports and entertainment district.

• Options
    As far as the Red Wings go, I can't see how the NHL is going to want an original 6 franchise that has a ravenous fan base to relocate.  It isn't like they aren't selling tickets.
  • Options
    imagefutant462:

No way Detroit would let the Wings move if that's what you mean.  The owners are not threatening to move, but Joe Louis arena is over 30 years old and it's in pretty poor shape.  They need a new arena and it sounds like this one will be nearer to Comerica Park and Ford Field, pretty much creating a downtown sports and entertainment district.

Well, often how these negotiations go is the team asks for a stadium with a certain price tag. The city balks for one reason or another. The team threatens to move (or floats rumors to the media about a potential move while publicly denying they ever would consider such a thing). Eventually some sort of compromise is worked out, sometimes better for one end, sometimes for the other. A credible threat of moving is definitely helpful for a team's bargaining position.

My buddy who is originally from the Detroit area has told me how that downtown district is really weird... it's like 6 or 8 blocks of safety and police protection. But if you wander too far in any direction... it's just bad. 

• Options
    imageLuckyDad:
    imagefutant462:

Well, often how these negotiations go is the team asks for a stadium with a certain price tag. The city balks for one reason or another. The team threatens to move (or floats rumors to the media about a potential move while publicly denying they ever would consider such a thing). Eventually some sort of compromise is worked out, sometimes better for one end, sometimes for the other. A credible threat of moving is definitely helpful for a team's bargaining position.

My buddy who is originally from the Detroit area has told me how that downtown district is really weird... it's like 6 or 8 blocks of safety and police protection. But if you wander too far in any direction... it's just bad. 

Downtown around the stadiums and bar areas is fine. Start wandering outside and it gets a little rough. There are bad areas of every city, Detroit just has a lot more.  

Wings are not moving. This new arena is part of a bigger plan to create this big entertainment district. I just think it will be tough on the taxpayers to pay for it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"