Pregnant after a Loss

Questions from a TTCALer (testing)

Hi ladies,

I have been on this board on and off for a few years as you can see from my history as I have had four losses. I hope it's alright that I post here asking for some advice. I hope to get back to this board some day as PGALer.

We have been going to an RE since our second loss. Then, we lost our daughter in September to a Trisomy during the second trimester and recently had another early loss. We have no living children. I had a D & C for my second loss at about 10 weeks or so and the chromosomes were normal. The first and most recent losses were too early to get testing done on.

We just had karotyping done on both me and my husband and everything came back normal which is hopeful. It is also important to note that even though our daughter had a trisomy it was said that it was a fluke. I have had everything else tested from blood clotting to autoimmune to thyroid etc.I have also had an HSG, and SHG and everything was normal there too. The only thing that came up is that I have MTHFR (compound het for the A and C genes). I am on extra folic acid, B-complex and baby aspirin for that along with my prenatal.

Is there anything else that I am missing here? It has to be something other than bad luck at this point. It is just such a mystery and we are starting to feel so hopeless. We are meeting with our new RE in July so hopefully she will be helpful but if there is anything else that your doctors have done for you, please let me know. We haven't had my husband's sperm tested. We don't have an issue getting pregnant but unfortunately I just can't seem to keep the pregnancies. 

I know that you aren't doctors but perhaps you have had some testing done that provided some answers for you that you feel comfortable sharing.

Anyway, sorry for venting here. I really appreciate any advice that you have to offer. Congrats to you all. I hope to be back here soon.

Re: Questions from a TTCALer (testing)

• imageJaycarmelxo:
    I don't believe I have any useful advice to give here. But I would definitely like to encourage you in all your efforts. I admire your strength and will be keeping you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers. Don't give up on yourself, it sounds like you are taking steps in the right direction and I hope that you will be joining us soon.

Thanks so much for your kind words. I also hope to be back here soon.

• so sorry you're here and even having to ask these questoins :(

I know the TTCAL blog has a lot of good references on questions to ask, tests, etc. 

https://www.ttcalblog.blogspot.com/

I hope someone helps you find answers soon. 

BFP #1 - Mango - 6/11/12, EDD 2/22/12 Natural MC 7/15/12
    BFP #2 - Nacho - 10/14/12, EDD 6/20/13, MMC 8 weeks, D&C 11/16/12
    All testing shows both H and I are perfectly normal. Baby Nacho had triploidy. 
    Back to normal business December 2012
    BFP #3 - Froggy - 1/15/13, EDD 9/27/13 TEAM GREEN
    It's a girl! Alice - Born 9/20/13, 8lbs 2oz

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • imageravenclaw1:

so sorry you're here and even having to ask these questoins :(

I know the TTCAL blog has a lot of good references on questions to ask, tests, etc. 

https://www.ttcalblog.blogspot.com/

I hope someone helps you find answers soon. 

Thanks so much! It looks like I have had just about all of these tests but I will bring this list with me to the RE to make sure. 

• Hello Jess...

First, I'm so sorry for your losses and fertility struggles.  As you can see from my siggy we have similar experiences; however, I never experienced a  second trimester loss and I'm so sorry you went through this.  We had 3 losses in a year all early, and none of the testing showed up anything that would indicate we shouldn't be able to carry to term.  I too started seeing an RE after my second loss, and had my third under her care.  After the third, she recommended IVF with a day 5 blast transfer. I know your financial abilities will greatly dictate if this is an option for you or not but something to consider.  Basically, she stated that due to our losses being all early losses, they were most likely due to chromosomal issues.  She recommended doing IVF with a 5 day blast  with PGD as PGD would irradiate there being a chromosomal issue.  However, we could not afford PGD but my insurance did cover IVF 100%.  Our RE stated to us that IVF with a 5 day blast transfer may be a valuable option as a 5 day blast embryo (in our case) had an 88% chance of being genetically correct (a little less than what PGD ).  Of course every couple/person is different and this may not be an option for you, but it may be something to ask your RE about.  I am now almost 9 weeks pregnant...the longest I have ever been pregnant with a viable pregnancy! Please feel free to PM me at any time, as I think we have a lot in common and I can 100% sympathies with the frustration you are facing.  Thinking of you...

TTC since October 2011
    Celiac Disease & PCOS
    3 Miscarriages (2/12, 6/12, 2/13)
    IVF May 2013 - BFP! DD 1.31.14
    IVF May 2015 - BFP! 5/18/2015
  • imagebsc01001:

Hello Jess...

First, I'm so sorry for your losses and fertility struggles.  As you can see from my siggy we have similar experiences; however, I never experienced a  second trimester loss and I'm so sorry you went through this.  We had 3 losses in a year all early, and none of the testing showed up anything that would indicate we shouldn't be able to carry to term.  I too started seeing an RE after my second loss, and had my third under her care.  After the third, she recommended IVF with a day 5 blast transfer. I know your financial abilities will greatly dictate if this is an option for you or not but something to consider.  Basically, she stated that due to our losses being all early losses, they were most likely due to chromosomal issues.  She recommended doing IVF with a 5 day blast  with PGD as PGD would irradiate there being a chromosomal issue.  However, we could not afford PGD but my insurance did cover IVF 100%.  Our RE stated to us that IVF with a 5 day blast transfer may be a valuable option as a 5 day blast embryo (in our case) had an 88% chance of being genetically correct (a little less than what PGD ).  Of course every couple/person is different and this may not be an option for you, but it may be something to ask your RE about.  I am now almost 9 weeks pregnant...the longest I have ever been pregnant with a viable pregnancy! Please feel free to PM me at any time, as I think we have a lot in common and I can 100% sympathies with the frustration you are facing.  Thinking of you...

Thank you. I will private message you about this shortly. So sorry that you have also experienced recurrent loss. 

• I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I had 2 losses (both between 5 and 6 weeks), and our testing revealed absolutely nothing. A friend told me about her neighbor that had 3 losses before using supplemental progesterone. Apparently, some women can have normal progesterone levels at first and then they drop at some point before the second trimester. This neighbor used the supplemental progesterone and carried 2 healthy pregnancies to term. My doctor agreed to trying it this time, and I am currently the farthest along that I have ever been (although incredibly nervous since I was just told to stop taking them on Monday). I hope that helps. (((HUGS)))
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"