Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Sleeping through the night - me

My little one has just recently started sleeping through the night.  Yay!  But now my sleep is so messed up.  I sleep with a monitor so I hear him wake in the morning or if he needs something in the middle of the night (his room is on the other side of the house) but I often think I hear him crying out when he's not and I get up early even though I'm still sleepy.  I was a great sleeper once and now I am so tired even though I get 7 hours sleep at night.  I don't think I'm getting enough deep sleep.  I took melatonin and now have taken Ambien for a few nights without any difference other than falling asleep quicker.  Any suggestions?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sleeping through the night - me

• Do you really need the monitor?  What if both your doors are open, would you hear him?  I imagine every little sound would keep me up.
  • No I wouldn't hear him without the monitor unless he was screaming.  We keep his door shut so my husband doesn't wake him when he leaves early in the morning.  Even if I don't have the monitor like if my husband has him and I'm trying to take a nap I still imagine hearing him.  It's frustrating that he's sleeping now and I'm not.
  • Loading the player...
  • keziaskezias member
    Could you leave the monitor in the bathroom or hallway next to your room.  We are on the same side of the house, so we have never used a monitor, except the first 1-2 hours of the first night. Any little noise and I was awake. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My suggestion is also that you put the monitor somewhere not so close to you where you will hear when he starts to scream/cry but you won't hear EVERYTHING. Our room is right next to our LO's and we have to sleep with our door closed so that I can sleep and don't keep waking up from every sound he makes. When LO started sttn, the same thing that is happening to you happened to me. I was so used to waking up every morning at 4 am, that I just naturally did even though he was sleeping. It took me about a month to overcome it. When you wake up just try not to think so you can go back to sleep. It might take some time but you should be able to sttn soon, as long as you move the monitor farther away..
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• imageKimbus22:
    How long has LO been STTN?  For me, it took me a good couple of months to stop hearing phantom cries after my kid started sleeping through.  Then I got used to it and slept normally again.

I had the same experience with both my kids as well.   I would hear phantom cries and I would still be programed to wake up at their usual night wake up times for many weeks after their sleep adjusted.  I ended up getting rid of the monitor and adding a noise machine to our room after DS started STTN because I sleep light enough that I wake up at the smallest out of place noise even with the sound machine.  I have been woke up by DS moving around in bed in his sleep.  I probably wouldn't hear it during the day but at night I seem to have super human ears.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It may just take you some time to adjust.  I had this issue when DS finally started sleeping through the night.  I didn't take anything to help me sleep as I was afraid I'll fall into too deep of a sleep and not be able to wake up or be super groggy when he needed me.  I also turned the monitor down as low as it'd go.  You'd be amazed at what you can hear without it.  I was.  I thought I'd never hear him and I can hear a lot.  It took me a couple of weeks to adjust to him STTN and for me to finally go back to STTN.  

Do you have a video monitor?  I use the video whenever I question whether he needs me.  I leave the video "off" at night and  just push the button to turn it on if I need to check on him.  That, and time, helped me to get back to STTN.  

GL.  It will come! 

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • imageNicb13:

I'm a light sleeper now that I have a child. Even when I'm nowhere near a monitor I think I hear crying! lol No suggestions, just to say I'm in the same boat and DS has been STTN for a long time. I still wake up just to look in the monitor even if I don't hear a sound.

I think this is just a parent thing...we are always on alert!

OMG this is my situation.  We share a wall with DD so I ditched the monitor (except when we have AC and fan on since it is super loud) when she started STTN at 14 months.  Well she's 21 months and I still think I hear things and I still hear her tossing or occasionally her sleep cries.  We are moving her room in another month or so and we'll still share a wall but my head won't literally be next to hers on the other side so I hope it helps.   

• I went through this too. I will take sometime for you to become confident that he is not waking. It was a good three or four weeks on my LO consitently sleeping through the night for me to relax and be able to Sttn myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"