Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Getting baby to Sleep alone

We are having trouble getting our 2 week old to sleep in her cradle she did great her first week but her not sleep well started when everyone wanted to hold her no matter if she was fussy or sleeping. Now the only way we can get her to sleep after bf, changing and burping her is to have her fall asleep on our chest and when she's asleep and we try to put her in her cradle/ crib she just starts crying until she turns red sometimes. Anyone know how to get her to sleep in her cradle/crib? Because I don't want this to be a pattern for later.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Getting baby to Sleep alone

• SkyBeeSkyBee member
    Try laying her down drowsy but awake. White noise is helpful as well.... maybe even try a paci. You really do not need to worry about  her forming a bad habit this early.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageNicb13:
    Dude, she's 2 weeks old. She's new to the world and really just needs comfort right now. Sleeping on you is very common and often the only thing that is soothing to them at this age. She has NO idea how to self soothe or do anything without your help.nbsp;Don't worry about creating a bad habit down the road because that is nearly impossible right now. This is just how a newborn is and it is really hard for a while. My son hated the bassinet and refused to sleep in it so I had no choice but to let himnbsp;sleep on me or his Boppy Newborn Lounger. Have you tried swaddling? RnP? Swing? Vibrating chair?

This.
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you have a rock n play? My LO did not like a flat surface at first. He slept in the RNP until about 7 weeks. Now he's sleeping in the PNP at night and his crib for naps.  

ETA he also only wanted to sleep on our chest for our first week or so home, and one night I tried the RNP and he did great.  

photo 606e6a9295ea7ed21bede1d01b391656.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD only slept in the swing the first week or two then finally would sleep in the bassinet if she was swaddled and we had a sleep sheep for white noise.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageNicb13:

Dude, she's 2 weeks old. She's new to the world and really just needs comfort right now. Sleeping on you is very common and often the only thing that is soothing to them at this age. She has NO idea how to self soothe or do anything without your help. Don't worry about creating a bad habit down the road because that is nearly impossible right now. This is just how a newborn is and it is really hard for a while. My son hated the bassinet and refused to sleep in it so I had no choice but to let him sleep on me or his Boppy Newborn Lounger.

Have you tried swaddling? RnP? Swing? Vibrating chair?

Agreed.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • imageNicb13:

Dude, she's 2 weeks old. She's new to the world and really just needs comfort right now. Sleeping on you is very common and often the only thing that is soothing to them at this age. She has NO idea how to self soothe or do anything without your help. Don't worry about creating a bad habit down the road because that is nearly impossible right now. This is just how a newborn is and it is really hard for a while. My son hated the bassinet and refused to sleep in it so I had no choice but to let him sleep on me or his Boppy Newborn Lounger.

Have you tried swaddling? RnP? Swing? Vibrating chair?

This!

• My 2 week old wont sleep on a flat surface, only in his swing or the rock n play. You won't be starting bad habits this young, so while I know it is exhausting, your LO just needs the soothing now. 
  • imageNicb13:
    Dude, she's 2 weeks old. She's new to the world and really just needs comfort right now. Sleeping on you is very common and often the only thing that is soothing to them at this age. She has NO idea how to self soothe or do anything without your help.nbsp;Don't worry about creating a bad habit down the road because that is nearly impossible right now. This is just how a newborn is and it is really hard for a while. My son hated the bassinet and refused to sleep in it so I had no choice but to let himnbsp;sleep on me or his Boppy Newborn Lounger. Have you tried swaddling? RnP? Swing? Vibrating chair?

Absolutely 100 percent this!!!!! Your still in survival mode until 3 months IMO! You do whatever it takes to get your LO to sleep at this point. No habits are formed this early. If your baby will only fall asleep in your arms so be it. Consider the first three months the fourth trimester when baby will want to be held almost constantly. My 8 week old DD cosleeps with us. I get better sleep, she gets better sleep. Everyone is happy. Her basinstte has been beside my bed since day 1 and since day 1 I've used it as my clean laundry holder, lol.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd suggest co-sleeping (using proper equipment of course).
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"