June 2013 Moms

Sleepy after nursing?

Is anyone else sleepy after nursing? LO passes out immediately, but sometimes it's all I can go to sty awake as long as he does! Do the hormones released cause sleepiness? Or maybe I'm just a bum today. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
My Ovulation Chart

TTC #1 Since July 2012-BFP Sept 27, EDD June 9, 2013, Arrived June 14, 2013
My blog-The Wino That I Know

Re: Sleepy after nursing?

• You should be resting every chance you get.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • it's the hormones that breastfeeding releases - i get sleepy everytime I nurse -- DH tells me I basically become zombie-like haha
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Wish82Wish82 member
    imageemolm:
    You should be resting every chance you get.
    Yes, I understand this. But there is a difference between resting or taking a nap and nearly falling asleep before LO is done nursing. The onset is ridiculously quick. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart

TTC #1 Since July 2012-BFP Sept 27, EDD June 9, 2013, Arrived June 14, 2013
    My blog-The Wino That I Know
  • imageWish82:
    imageemolm:
    You should be resting every chance you get.
    Yes, I understand this. But there is a difference between resting or taking a nap and nearly falling asleep before LO is done nursing. The onset is ridiculously quick. 

This happens to me when I nurse at night. It's painful to try and stay awake. I completely get it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yes!! After I nurse I can barely keep my eyes open!
  • imagesmpeachey:
    Like PP said it is most definitely the hormones. The first week he was home I would fall asleep while DH burped him. The LC told me it helps you reach deeper sleep faster so that the small amounts of sleep are more effective.

This explains a lot.  I normally do not do well without lots of sleep - but I've been functioning pretty well so far on the pittance baby lets me have.   

BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • I tend to doze off while nursing in the middle of the night. During the day, I'm fine usually.
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/10/13 M/C 6/12/12
    BFP#2 9/28/12 EDD 6/5/13 J.B. born 6/6/13

Anniversary

• Yes, it is very bizarre!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • The nurse at the hospital said its because we release tryptophan like what's in turkey!
  • That happens to me too.
    imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Nope, I am very sleepy after nursing. Sometimes I struggle to stay awake while nursing!  Its very soothing and relaxing to have your baby safe in your arms knowing you are nourishing them!   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Completely normal. Have you considered nursing lying down so you can drift off if you need to?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"