Working Moms

Advice Needed-long

I am suppose to go back to work in 2weeks from yesterday.  Well some plans changed over maternity leave and we sold our house and are planning a cross country move in 1st week of October.  Well I am now given the chance to stay home for the next year or so with my boys and this will be the only time I will ever get this chance as we built our life on two incomes.  The plan was as soon as we were close to closing I was going to inform my boss that I wasn't coming back, as I honestly had originally planned to.  Well things got delayed with closing and today everything is finally good for me to quit but it would be 1-2 workday shy of a two week notice that I really wanted to give to be professional.  

Would you go back for the extra day or just explain yourself and just not go back and be shy of the 2 week notice.   Background on my job/company.  I don't carry the insurance nor was I given any paid leave so nothing to pay back.  If I go back for two days my boss will make it a living h$ll.  He is a terrible boss and leads by fear.  He is sexually harassing and very degrading.  Unfortunately it's a small company and the owners and HR Rep are his great friends so my complaints would only hae gotten me fired. But on the flip side I want a reference although regardless if I went back it would not have been good as his own words regarding a previous employee who quit was "it's not a good idea to quit on me".   What would you do. I always try to do the right thing with work and I know I do a great job and work hard but this one time I just want to be selfish. 

Re: Advice Needed-long

• It sounds like you would not get a good reference either way so just give notice, don't go back and move on. Can you report him to anyone? Is there anyone at the company that you can use as future reference? Enjoy your move :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think I could have a coworker give me a reference but not sure if a future company would call to confirm that I did work there, if there would be something said about not a full 2 week notice.  I am not sure if it works the same way if your on maternity leave.  
  • Loading the player...
  • The two weeks notice is more so that they can hire to replace you, and while customary, is not a requirement. It sounds like he's probably not the kind of guy who would give you a great reference either way, so I wouldn't stress too much about it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just quit.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageljanette85:
    It sounds like you would not get a good reference either way so just give notice, don't go back and move on. Can you report him to anyone? Is there anyone at the company that you can use as future reference? Enjoy your move :)

This

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Also, when you get to the point that you're ready to start job hunting again, you can always have someone (a friend or your husband) call to check references there, which would give you an idea of what he's actually disclosing in reference checks so you can proactively address the situation with a potential employer before they call to verify.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Until you described your boss, who sounds like a jerk, I was going to say go back for 2 weeks to get a good reference and end on a good note. But I think you should just quit. Especially since you're returning from ML and leaving the area. Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just send a resignation email and be done with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"