February 2013 Moms

Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap Moms ...

Hi, so I bought my first bottle of Dr. Bronner's after reading some of the messages on this board.  I just got the baby mild to start.  I am very excited to start using greener products ... to be honest, our house is filled with Softsoap, J&J, 409, and etc. right now.

So I have this HUGE bottle staring me down from the counter because it knows I don't really know what to do with it.

I think I will start with the hand soap replacements ... seems easy enough.  How else do you use it?  How do you clean with it?  I searched online and there was a lot of information about mixing it with Borax and also most things said you had to rinse it after cleaning with it???

Maybe I need to start off small ... how would you use it to clean a marble countertop and a wood kitchen table?

THANKS IN ADVANCE ... I am sure this post seems completely dumb. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap Moms ...

• I know this isn't answering your question, but after reading your post I decided to go check out their website...has anyone gone on there and seen the creepy guy in sunglasses on the home page? LMAO what the heck
    photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • Hey there, just have to post this real quick, but I've been using borax and dr bronners hand soap as laundry detergent and was recently reading that borax is toxic but can be swapped out with regular old baking soda. I haven't had much time to read up on it, but I guess it's split 50/50 whether its ok too use or not. I'm switching to baking soda just to be safe.
    https://www.ewg.org/
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imageMonicaMerkel:
    I know this isn't answering your question, but after reading your post I decided to go check out their website...has anyone gone on there and seen the creepy guy in sunglasses on the home page? LMAO what the heck

That's Dr Bronner, he was actually in an insane asylum for a bit and I feel like those glasses definitely suit him haha.. He's not really creepy without glasses, though.. Those things would make anyone look scary lol

There is a documentary on Netflix, "Dr Bronner's Magic Soapbox"

Sorry, this may get kind of long.

I don't use my Bronner soaps to clean things around the house except dishes, mostly because it's just right there in the foam pump. I also use it to clean baby bottles just because it rinses out cleanly very easily.

Main uses for me are
    -Hand soap, "Citrus", ~1soap:6-8water dilution in foam handsoap pump
    -Dish soap, straight from handsoap pump
    -Baby hair wash, "Baby Mild"- squirt some in palms & work up lather before putting on LO
    -Body wash for myself, "Rose" or "Almond"- straight from Bronner's bottle to wash mitt & work up lather (first time you use for bodywash, you will feel like it has stripped your skin off lol)
    -Face wash (I LOVE this stuff for face wash, my skin feels so soft after)
    -Sometimes I wash my hair with it, straight from the bottle

When I didn't have a washing machine or if I need just one item of clothing washed for the next day I will use Bronner's soap to wash it

I have also washed my car once with it because I ran out of car soap lol

Those are the only things I have used it for. Personally, I love the stuff, but I wouldn't bother cleaning the house with it. I just use Clorox wipes on counter/table tops, doorknobs, sinks.. Stuff that hands touch throughout the day.

I have not tried any form of Bronner's soaps except the liquid castile soaps

WARNING: If you decide to use Bronner's soap for bodywash for you or LO, make absolutely sure you do not let the lather sit on genitalia for more than ~15 seconds. It starts to get VERY uncomfortable, at least for girls. Please do not let that discourage you though, as it is very good soap and I highly recommend it.

I hope I gave you a few ideas and sorry I don't have any experience about counter tops and whatnot :)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageknickerbockers:
    Hey there, just have to post this real quick, but I've been using borax and dr bronners hand soap as laundry detergent and was recently reading that borax is toxic but can be swapped out with regular old baking soda. I haven't had much time to read up on it, but I guess it's split 50/50 whether its ok too use or not. I'm switching to baking soda just to be safe. https://www.ewg.org/

I agree with PP, I wouldn't use Borax just to be safe. I don't know much about it except that it is used to kill cockroaches, fleas, ants, etc. So I, personally, would never put the stuff on my clothing or any surfaces that are regularly touched and/or eaten off of. This is probably why OP read it has to be rinsed off very well. I know it's not because of the soap being harmful or anything because there are people who use the Peppermint soap to brush their teeth.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Here's what we do:  In the kitchen we put Bronner's and some water in a recycled Cloraseptic bottle (seriously)  We use it as hand soap, to spray down any surfaces that need washing, a dish soap and on DS when he bathe him in the sink.  In the bathroom I use a foam pump iwth 1 part soap to 5 parts water.  We just keep reloading both.  I've never used Borax so I can't help  there, sorry.

• Kind of unrelated, but Dr. Bronner's Soap makes me sneeze uncontrollably. It's great though. I used to use it for camping (thinking sneezes were allergies) until I started using it at home and had that happen too. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"