February 2013 Moms
Options

Bad parenting on facebook

My elementary school friend who had bad parents had a baby in high school.  This baby now has a baby, although she is still in high school.  My "friend" posts frequently about her husband--that is, that she's finally leaving him because she's had enough of his domestic violence and/or cheating--only to post a picture of she and he together a week later.  Since that baby was born about a week ago, this friend has posted 3 things.  First one was the baby's weight, which was a bit low.  Second was a picture of her high school daughter and the daughter's baby asleep on the couch.  Baby covered loosely in blankets and balanced on the couch.  Third is baby, who can't be more than a week old and still looking newborn-y, being held by someone in the pool in only a diaper.  Even if you don't stick to the 6 month pool rule, I'm pretty sure your low birth weight newborn does not like being that cold. I am no longer friends with the "grandma" except via facebook and no longer live in town, but if this is what they post on facebook, what other bad decisions are being made?  Guess there's nothing I can do?  The posts get about 100 likes, so I guess no one else is worried...

Re: Bad parenting on facebook

• Options

This is my reaction to the pool thing... 

That's really frustrating. Not much you can do, though...  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    This is when I block someone's feed. If it upsets me enough to put a damper on my day but there's nothing I can or am willing to do about it, I don't want to see it. This includes my nephew, with posts of my great niece, who seems to be in a similar situation. (And yes, 30 is far too young to be a great aunt!)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageRunaway22:

This is my reaction to the pool thing... 

That's really frustrating. Not much you can do, though...  

Ha! That's my reaction to the whole story. There are just no words sometimes.

OP, I agree with PP, I would prolly block her FB feed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My SIL is a fantastic mother in so many ways. But the one thing she does that has me constantly shaking my head is let my niece, who is 18 months, have some of her Starbucks drinks. Coffees, frappucinos, the whole bit. There's just no need for a toddler to be having caffeine in any increment, in my mind. There's also zero nutritional value in it. I am by no means a health food fanatic, and am very guilty of occasionally eating foods that offer me nothing but the personal satisfaction of having something delicious.  But just because I have it, doesn't mean my baby should. She always has pictures on FB of my niece in the back of the car in her car seat holding something from Starbucks. Huh?
  • Options

6 mo to get in pool rule???  Guess we broke that one...  I have a cousin who has kids in dangerous situations in pics on fb too.  I never quite know what to say.  Strapping carseats to ATVs, turning kids under a year FF...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageDublinMama:
    My SIL is a fantastic mother in so many ways. But the one thing she does that has me constantly shaking my head is let my niece, who is 18 months, have some of her Starbucks drinks. Coffees, frappucinos, the whole bit. There's just no need for a toddler to be having caffeine in any increment, in my mind. There's also zero nutritional value in it. I am by no means a health food fanatic, and am very guilty of occasionally eating foods that offer me nothing but the personal satisfaction of having something delicious.  But just because I have it, doesn't mean my baby should. She always has pictures on FB of my niece in the back of the car in her car seat holding something from Starbucks. Huh?

My friend's mom also had a baby boy that she would do this to. And I swear that boy could projectile vomit like none other. I wonder what caused it, right?  

• Options
    imagepitterpatter129:

6 mo to get in pool rule???  Guess we broke that one...  I have a cousin who has kids in dangerous situations in pics on fb too.  I never quite know what to say.  Strapping carseats to ATVs, turning kids under a year FF...

"Rule" might be to harsh.  I've heard that it's better to wait until your baby is 6 months, but lots of people do it earlier.  But not at 1 week!  I'm sure it's hot where this baby is, and I can see wiping her down with a cool cloth or something, but as a mom of a preemie who was about the same size as theirs and who was afraid to have ours without a hat, I can't even imagine taking your 5 lber to the pool.  Too cold, too many chemicals, too much sun!  Plus I forgot to mention, the person holding the baby in the pool is the domestic violence husband/grandpa.  Boo.

• Options
    Kids have no voice and need responsible adults to be theirs. There are polite ways to say things...some people truly don't know. There was a news story a couple months ago about 8 month old twins that suffocated bc they were put to bed on adult pillows on their sides swaddled. The dad genuinely did not know that was dangerous :(

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Options

I will admit, I broke the 6 month pool rule, but truthfully, I didn't know there was one until I read it in your post. To be fair, the pool was indoor and heated, and she was 2 months old...and she LOVES the pool.

Anyway, I know people like this. A guy who is 20 years old but hangs out with my 16 year old brother got his 16 year old girlfriend pregnant and the whole family is SO EXCITED. That kid can't even take care of himself! No one has a job, or even a lick of common sense. What is this baby in for? It makes me sort of afraid for him. He will be in Harper's class in school. I suppose there isn't one thing I can do, but I still worry.  

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"