Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Do you keep your baby under 6m out of the sun

It is hard to keep my 3m old out of the sun with a toddler but I follow the DR's advise and keep her out of the sun.  I have seen others with infants in baby carriers exposed to the sun. How do you keep your baby out of the sun outdoors?
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Do you keep your baby under 6m out of the sun

• Options
    DD has a sun hat, the Ergo has a flap on it for a sun shield. I also make sure that she has some coconut oil or almond oil on. Both have a natural SPF and are safe for babies under 6mo. Oils with a natural SPF are not as powerful as sunscreen. It is more of a just in case under her sunhat/flap/stroller hood.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We also use a sun hat. If we are just sitting outside, we try to find the shadiest spot possible. We pull the shades on his stroller. We also save our walks for the later part of the day when the sun isn't as strong. We have no plans to bring LO to some place blindingly open to the sun (like the beach) until he is old enough to wear sunscreen.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I couldn't survive not going outside for 6 months.

We got out every day and I usually stay in the shade with DS2. If not I usually use a light weight blanket and cover him [with me holding him obviously] or I turn my back towards the sun.

We took him to the beach last month and just say under a tent with him.

• Options
    Sun hat, pants on, and a light jacket or long sleeved shirt. I find shade where possible as well.

imageimage
  • Options
    20 minutes of limited exposure helps get them the Vitamin D they need for the day. I try not give her much more exposure than that daily but I don't worry too much about shielding her all the time. I did put a little sunscreen on her face when we went to the beach even though she was only 5 months old.
  • Options
    hat, stroller and sunblock (doesn't get absorbed into the skin like sunscreen and is therefore safe).
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    jac409jac409 member
    I couldn't survive if we couldn't go outside either.  Same as the others, I use a light blanket and/or sunhat.  We have been going in our pool for the past few weeks, which is outdoors.  I try to go in the early evening when the sun isn't as strong.  Or I will use some sunblock if we go earlier in the day.  We only stay out for twenty minutes or so, and then I put her right in the bath to wash it off when we come in.
  • Options

Hats, sunblock.  It's summer - we are going outside.  People used to live outside - I doubt they kept the baby in the cave for 6 months.  I try to keep both kids in the shade since they are fair-skinned.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD LOVES to be outside, so there's no avoiding it here. We use a hat or the shade of her stroller if the sun is overhead and we're out for a long time, but if she's just coming to or from the car, we just let the sun shine on her because she likes it and like other PPs said, a little sun exposure is ok. Our pedi said we could use sunblock/sunscreen sparingly since I'm very fair skinned (I have been known to burn a little even in the shade) and it remains to be seen if DD will be fair skinned like me or darker skinned like DH.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Options

Sun hat and those special clothes/pants that are made to cover babies skin and block UV rays. But they are breathable. 

Or we stay in the shade. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    I stay in the shade as much as I can, but if we go to the park or somewhere where I know I'll be in and out of the shade, I wear him in my bjorn, big floppy sunhat on and sunblock on his legs. My pedi said it was fine. It's unreasonable to think (especially if you have an older child) that you can keep the baby out of the sun completely.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    No, If we're outside I let her get a few minutes of sun.  It's good for them.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sunhats, a little sunblock on exposed legs feet etc in a carrier like an ergo won't hurt either. I also carry an umbrella everywhere if there's a chance I might set him somewhere.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We just got back from a family vacation to the Grand Canyon with our 5 month old. It was so hot (over 100 degrees) that he couldn't stand more than a short sleeved onesie and shorts in his baby carrier. I put a sun hat on him, used sunblock (applied every 30-45 minutes), found shade whenever I could and used an umbrella. He is really fair skinned (you can see the veins in his head!) so I was worried that he would get burned, but he made it a whole week without any burn or sun exposure. I know you're supposed to be careful about the use of sunblock, but to me the benefits outweighed the risks for this situation.
  • Options
    imagepitterpatter129:

Hats, sunblock.  It's summer - we are going outside.  People used to live outside - I doubt they kept the baby in the cave for 6 months.  I try to keep both kids in the shade since they are fair-skinned.

Ditto all of this!

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"