C-sections

Ever heard?

DS was born 6 1/2 weeks ago, c section because i stopped dilating.

So my question is that DH and I want one more baby and we wanted them back to back. But  the doctor said its best to wait 6 to 8 months before trying because your body needs more time to heal than with a vaginal delivery.

Did anyone else hear this same thing? Did you listen to the doc and wait? Or did you get pregnant right away? If you got pregnant right away, did everything go smoothly?

TIA

Re: Ever heard?

• My dr told me to wait a year to get pregnant again and I listened to his advice
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My Dr said I should wait at least 6 months but a year would be better. I got pregnant after 8.5 months.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • We waited a year to TTC. I don't remember getting any guidance on timeframe for TTC, but I wasn't ready to risk another c-section that quickly. Actually, my c-section made me want to be one and done for a long time, even though I had a good recovery.

• +ASH++ASH+ member
    My doctor told me a year at the least. The body goes through major surgery and had numerous internal things  sliced into. It needs to heal, and it's not a quick fix. There are some big risks with having csections close together and I never could have risked it with a LO at home. 
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • I was told to wait at least 8 months.  My understanding is that this is to reduce the risk of uterine rupture.  The longer you wait the lower the risk.
  • PP are correct.  However, due to my age (I turned 40 in March), both my RE and OB recommended trying pretty much ASAP if we wanted another child, so I ended up getting pregnant (via IVF) about 5.5 months after my first CS.  I'm scheduled for an RCS at 39 weeks for this one due to the issues that resulted in a CS last time, as well as how close these two births will be.
    10/10: Married; 5/11: Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tube; 7/11: D&C/Hysteroscopy to remove polyp
    IVF #1: 9/11: ER: 12R, 11M, 10F, No Frosties; 5dt: 2 blasts, 1 morula; DD born 6/3/12
    IVF #2: 11/12-12/12: ER: 20R, 20M, 16F, 4 Frosties; 5dt: 3 blasts, DS born 8/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son was 3 months old when we found out I was pregnant again. I wanted to try for a vbac but it didn't turn out that way. My dr told me having anymore kids was really risky because my uterus is paper thin. Had I tried for a vbac I probably would have ruptured. Getting pregnant right away is doable it's just also risky for some people.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was told a year, minimum.
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• I have a friend that had a baby last June. And she just had another baby may. Both was c sections. So needless to say she didn't wait long at all. I guess it all depends on how quick your body recovers and if your ready for it ....
  • imageMartinez720:
    I have a friend that had a baby last June. And she just had another baby may. Both was c sections. So needless to say she didn't wait long at all. I guess it all depends on how quick your body recovers and if your ready for it ....

This doesn't mean it was a good idea. The risks are still there she just got pregnant again quickly. I'm sure her dr didn't tell her it was ok to have her lo's that coke in age.
  • My OB gave me the green light at 4 months pp. We got pregnant the next month and my LOs are 14.5 months apart. My OB is very conservative and "old school". He also told me I could pick up my 25 lb DD a couple days after surgery. I've had two easy c sections and recoveries, but I know that's not always the norm.
  • I was told to wait a year and I was 34 with my first kid so I was getting close to advanced maternal age and they still said to wait.  I followed their advice and got pregnant when my first was 14 months.  When I had my 2nd c-section at 36, I was told "your uterus looks great you could have 5 more if you wanted"  even though we are done, it paid off to follow my doctor's advice.
  • I was told to wait 12-18 months between pregnancies. We're one & done, but even if we weren't, I'd wait as long as my doctor advised me. The risk of uterine rupture and death isn't worth having back to back babies.

• Yes, I listen to my dr's advice. She went to medical school, I did not. mine told me to wait 6 months.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Dr recommened we wait 6 months to try again if we wanted RCS and to wait at least 12-18 months for VBAC.  We wanted them close and got our BFP when DS was 9 months old. Everything has gone smoothly so far, 9 weeks to go!
  • imagemysticl:
    I was told to wait at least 8 months.  My understanding is that this is to reduce the risk of uterine rupture.  The longer you wait the lower the risk.

we are not trying yet, but THIS. You do understand why the doc told you to wait right? Your uterus has to heal and grow back together before it starts stretching out again with a new baby.... Vag birth is completely different case. 

• imagecourtnif:
    My OB gave me the green light at 4 months pp. We got pregnant the next month and my LOs are 14.5 months apart. My OB is very conservative and "old school". He also told me I could pick up my 25 lb DD a couple days after surgery. I've had two easy c sections and recoveries, but I know that's not always the norm.

My OB called me at 4m to let me know my blood work came back fine. She then said if you get pg before 6m it will be fine. So if you want to try now, that's okay. We did and I got pregnancy on the first cycle. My c/s were a year and 20 days apart.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • imagemagdalina.h:

imagecourtnif:
    My OB gave me the green light at 4 months pp. We got pregnant the next month and my LOs are 14.5 months apart. My OB is very conservative and "old school". He also told me I could pick up my 25 lb DD a couple days after surgery. I've had two easy c sections and recoveries, but I know that's not always the norm.

My OB called me at 4m to let me know my blood work came back fine. She then said if you get pg before 6m it will be fine. So if you want to try now, that's okay. We did and I got pregnancy on the first cycle. My c/s were a year and 20 days apart.

No blood work can tell you how healed your c-section incision is internally, or how thin your uterus is. Good for you, that your doctor cleared you to conceive, but the OP's doctor didn't, and likely for a reason, not just because.

• I think it is pretty typical advice, though I don't remember what my OB said because I didn't want children that close together anyway.  Think about it this way:  if you haven't healed completely and something goes wrong, you're endangering your chances to have any more children, period.  I'm sure plenty of people have pregnancies sooner after a c/s and are fine, but the fact is the risk is higher than if you wait a few months, and it seems unwise to me to use anecdotal evidence to reassure yourself about a decision that your doctor, who has seen a lot more pregnancies than you can crowdsource here, has advised against.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • My OB said to wait 6 months to a year. I would not want to risk my life and go against that.

He's my fairytale, a dream when I'm not sleeping.

<a href="http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/behapybride/?action=view
  • jb2rnjb2rn member

imageadamnkel:
    imageMartinez720:
    I have a friend that had a baby last June. And she just had another baby may. Both was c sections. So needless to say she didn't wait long at all. I guess it all depends on how quick your body recovers and if your ready for it ....
    This doesn't mean it was a good idea. The risks are still there she just got pregnant again quickly. I'm sure her dr didn't tell her it was ok to have her lo's that coke in age.

this. my friend had her first in Oct 2012, and will have her second in early Nov 2013. She is 38, and had several losses and infertility, so she felt the need to have them close in age.

However? It's ROUGH on your body if you have a vaginal birth, and ever more so if you have had a c section.

No matter what your doctor says, I would personally wait until closer to the year mark.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• imageadamnkel:
    My dr told me to wait a year to get pregnant again and I listened to his advice

My doctor told me this too, or she wouldn't even consider a VBAC because there is more chance of things going wrong. I am listening to her cause she is the doctor and knows best.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was told by my MW to wait min. 18 months between deliveries if I wanted to VBAC. If I didn't want to VBAC I'm sure the time frame would've been less but we didn't discuss it.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Yes, I listened to my OB's advice. If I didn't trust my dr's opinion I would find a new one. As you can see from this post there are LOTS of different opinions from OB's though. These posts make me stabby because people tend to act like their dr is the only one correct and all other dr.'s are putting their patients' lives at risk. My dr is head of OB at the hospital (not bragging or something, just saying that she is very educated and well-respected) and said that 12 months between c/s deliveries (when the first was uncomplicated) was perfectly safe in my situation, 18m for vbac. I took my dr's advice and made an educated decision to have our children close. I kind of resent the implications that I was irresponsible by "putting my life in danger" with another LO at home or however it was worded. 

We ttc for 3 years the first time, I was 30, and we didn't know if we'd ever have another or how much time we'd have. So we "planned" to try and have them a year apart. We never imagined we would get pg the 1st time having sex pp with our history, but we did. I had complications during the pregnancy, but it was due to polyhydramnios (i.e. excess fluid and being as huge as a house). She gave the green light to try for a third to be due around the time my daughter is 18m+ so we did. I had a very hard pg the 2nd time. I'm not in denial that it's because the 1st and 2nd were so close, but my c/s didn't have anything to do with it. I would have been in that much pain and discomfort between vaginal births as well. My kids were huge, I'm tiny, and my body was just freaking tired of carrying so much extra weight. 

ETA: and as far as uterine rupture fears- while it is obviously more common with a c/s, it is not just being pg that generally causes a rupture, it is the laboring during a VBAC. Even so it is very very low. A rupture is a catastrophic event that is extremely uncommon.  

photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • imageMelRC117:
    You will hear good stories and you could hear bad stories.  Yes, it is a good idea to give your body a break...and not just from delivery but from pregnancy.  For the safety of YOU and your baby...listen to your doctor not internet strangers. 6 to 8 months isn't that long....my doctor told me 9 months for any type of delivery.
    This!
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • My dr. told me to wait 6 months as well. We were planning on ttc at 6 months but as you can see we got pregnant at only 8 weeks pp. We did NOT plan it. 1 night of too much alcohol and forgetting contraceptives. Towards the end they did pay close attention to try to prevent uterine rupture but I made it to 39 weeks and my RCS. And my easiest recovery out of 3 c-sections.

I would never recommend someone plan to have children that close when c-section is needed. That being said, I love my son and give thanks for him everyday.

SD(13) DS(10) DS(4) DS(3)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I've always heard to wait at least 9 months, and 18 if you want a vbac. 
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"