Special Needs

confused

I received a letter stating that the Division of Developmental Disabilities was unable to determine if ds2 was eligible due to lack of developmental history. Ds is 3 months and has Down Syndrome. I am confused. At what point would he be considered as having at least one delay since intellectual ability or disability cannot be measured yet?

FWIW, at 14.5 weeks he does not have a responsive smile though he does smile in his sleep and at other random times. He also is unable to support his own head.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook

Re: confused

• That strange. You can always call the number on the letter and ask for clarification. Request a meeting and ask lots of questions.
  • I'm sorry. In my state, that is one of the diagnoses covered from birth. I have no advice, but I think that is ridiculous.
    DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Loading the player...
  • In our state, Lauren was covered by EI just because of her Down syndrome diagnosis. For private therapy she had to qualify developmentally. I would definitely call somebody!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageYellowLilies:
    You should be able to appeal the decision.  Has he had any evaluations by ei yet?  Sometimes it is just a matter of submitting more paperwork.  

Yes, the local school district submitted a copy of his IFSP and MDT report to them and his pedi submitted his medical records as part of the application.

We have 90 days from June 14th to request either an informal or a formal appeal.  So for now, I'm checking in with the ladies that run the local down syndrome support group to see what guidance I can get from them.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"