Natural Birth

Induction scheduled without our knowing...? Update

I just got a confirmation call from my OB that my induction is scheduled for tomorrow night... We had talked about the 18th (41+2) as an option weeks ago, but I was pretty sure DH and I were clear that we wanted to go until the last minute with no inductions as long as the baby is still doing okay. (We have another BPP tomorrow afternoon to be sure.)

I told the person who called that we weren't having an induction tomorrow and that my OB said we could wait longer. She said something like "the baby can't stay in there forever! haha" (hilarious... just hilarious) and said maybe they just meant they were going to use cervadil to see if anything would start and then send me home. We're going to talk to my OB about it tomorrow, but I had never heard of this as an option before. Can they start an induction and then let you go? I'm not sure it's a great idea to do the cervadil anyway because it seems like one thing will lead to another, but maybe it would get something going? I lost the mucous plug 4 days ago and have had some cramping, but no real contractions and fewer BH than usual. The baby seems lower, but I can't say I feel like there is a bowling ball between my legs so I'm not even sure if it has actually dropped.

Hoping this is just a miscommunication because my OB has been pretty open to letting us go to 41+6 this whole pregnancy, and now I have a weird feeling in my stomach which is (as usual) not contractions...

photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Induction scheduled without our knowing...? Update

• Hi! I'm a FTM and just hit my due date today so I haven't really discussed induction much with my doc, but I know they will let me go to 42 weeks as well as long as everything looks fine with the baby (based on NSTs and a BPP next week). I would say if your BPP looks good tomorrow, you should definitely fight not to be induced yet, or even get cervadil because, like you said, that doesn't really make any sense. It's stupid that they would start anything without a medical indication, and it's really stupid that they would schedule this without telling you. Good luck, and I hope you are able to avoid this for a bit longer.
  • It would concern me that the OB scheduled an induction without discussing it with you in detail.  If the baby is healthy and the stress tests come back good I would not be induced until I hit 42 weeks.  IMO after 42 weeks the risk of staying pregnant outweigh the risk of induction.  I have never heard of them inducing and sending you home.  Most inductions usually result in a cascade of interventions.  Maybe you can start walking, having sex, and nipple stimulation to get things going naturally.  GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would definitely talk to the OB and clarify that you want to wait til later in the week.

As far as the Cervidil goes, there are still places/states that will do it as an outpatient procedure.  My SIL had a baby in Feb, and they placed one and sent her home for the night.  Brought her back in the a.m. to start Pit.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • What you've described is pretty much what happened with me when I was past my due date.  I went for the bpp and non-stress tests a few times and was told it was okay to wait as long as baby seemed well on the tests.  at around 41 weeks I saw 3 different docs for regular appt and my bpp and then non-stress test.  They all told me different things about how long it was okay to wait for and when I should go to be induced.  

When I went to have my last nst in l&d, they actually tried to convince me that I was there to be induced, and that the doc I had seen the day before wanted me to be induced immediately (simply because he wanted baby born before 41+3).  After some back and forth with the nurse and explaining that we were told we could wait a few more days, I came to the conclusion that it really depends on the individual doctor views and interpretations.  The next morning l&d called me agian to come in for induction and DH and I basically told them, "no thanks".  

I left l&d and ended up going back 2 days later when I was having contractions on my own and delivered at exactly 42 weeks.

But man, that was a lot of pressure I was getting from the l&d nurse and one of the doctors I saw.  

I know it can be so incredibly confusing and dis-orienting to feel like you have to fight for your self and question if you're right, when being overdue is already such stress.  But if you were already told that the bpp and/or nst were fine and you were already cleared to wait, then there's no reason to accept their scheduled induction date.  You have every right to tell them to cancel it.

Whatever you do, best of luck!  And congrats!  You'll have a baby soon regardless.  :) 

eta:  When I talked to my family doc about induction a  little before 41 weeks, he told me that I would go get cervadil in the afternoon or late afternoon and go home for the night and do my own thing.  Because it's less stressful than being in hospital and sometimes the cervadil alone will start things up on its own.  

Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Thanks a lot for all the support! I just got back from the OB and BPP #2 - everything looks good and he's okay with not inducing today, but Friday (41+5) is the last day their group will allow him to induce so we're scheduled for cervadil Thursday night at 8pm, and then pitocin starting at 6am on Friday.

Fingers crossed it doesn't get to that point, but I'm still 1.5cm dilated with a "very long" cervix so we'll see.

I'm trying to remain hopeful that something will happen and I'll be able to have the birth we've been hoping for...

photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagejmcgra06:

Thanks a lot for all the support! I just got back from the OB and BPP #2 - everything looks good and he's okay with not inducing today, but Friday (41+5) is the last day their group will allow him to induce so we're scheduled for cervadil Thursday night at 8pm, and then pitocin starting at 6am on Friday.

Fingers crossed it doesn't get to that point, but I'm still 1.5cm dilated with a "very long" cervix so we'll see.

I'm trying to remain hopeful that something will happen and I'll be able to have the birth we've been hoping for...

Glad to hear that!  A lot can happen between now and then, so try not to worry!  I had zero signs of impending labor with DD until contractions started.

I'm not trying to tell you not to induce, (I would have induced at 41w6d because that was my MW's recommendation) just wanted to say that it makes no difference what his group 'allows' him to do, you have the ultimate say.  They can never force you to do anything you are not comfortable with.    

Best of luck!  Can't wait to read your birth story! 

• CelynCelyn member
    Glad to hear they are content to wait longer.  Just remember that Informed Consent for procedures means that you are both informed (on the pros and cons of doing nothing and of waiting) *and* consenting.  
  • I'm just curious, but what would happen if you went past 41 weeks, 5 days.  Like you just didn't show up for the induction?  The practice couldn't refuse to see you, right?  So it's more of a regulation/standard than a requirement.  Although 41/5 is pretty darn close ot the 42 week mark so really we're just playing with numbers here, but it seems silly to say "then or never".

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"