One & Done: Only child

Sibling Rivalry and Mental Health

I'm not sure how much stock to put in this information, but it definitely relates to being OAD!

What do you think, ladies?

I'm sorry for it not being clicky. I'm on mobile.

https://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/2487/20130617/siblingrivalryseriouseffectsmentalhealth.htm

C is 3 years old

Re: Sibling Rivalry and Mental Health

• imageBostonKisses2:
    I can see all of the points the article's making in MH.  He's the 3rd of 4 children, and his sister (the youngest and only girl) was always highly favored and pampered by his parents.  She can be a first class b?tch, and was always a massive attention whore.  MH wasn't neglected by his parents, but he had a lot of issues growing up as a result, and still has a lot of anger and anxiety revolving around everything.

Thanks for making it clicky!

I can totally see how your H would have issues from that scenario. 

I think I like articles like this because although I know that many, many sibling relationships are wonderful and healthy (my own, for example), there are others that are toxic.  People tend to romanticize the sibling relationship, and I think it's important to know that it's not always wonderful. 

I know most people on this board are well aware of that, but many still seem to come across judgy, misinformed neighbors, strangers and even family members.

C is 3 years old

• blue33blue33 member
    Here is my take on the article. I think that sibling rivalry affects you if you let it. I am the youngest of 4 full siblings and I have step siblings that I did not grow up with. I am very close to my sisters, but I am not to my brother. I think that he is a leech, and it irritates the h%ll out of me how he drains my mom for money and expects her to keep his kids at every whim for days at a time. I have always been very independent, and my brother is not. So, we clash, because my mom won't say anything to him out of fear that she will not get to see her grandkids, or because she just gives and gives to her kids out of habit. So, I often vocalize what she wants to say, but won't, "ie NO MOM can't keep your kids for the summer, put them in camp like everybody else". My mom is getting older and her health and sight is not the best, and I am not going to stand for anyone to take advantage of her, even if it is a person I shared a womb with. I don't feel like I hate my brother, and I have learned to just ignore him for the most part. So, I guess that is why I say that the sibling rivalry will affect you if you let it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • So what I took away from it was it really has zero to do with number of kids in a family and everything to do with the parents, and how they parent the children they have.

Seems like the few comments posters have made about their families illustrate the  the same thing. Treat siblings fairly and don't play favorites, and make them treat eachother the same way you make them treat their peers.

• imageDiveFrog:

So what I took away from it was it really has zero to do with number of kids in a family and everything to do with the parents, and how they parent the children they have.

Seems like the few comments posters have made about their families illustrate the  the same thing. Treat siblings fairly and don't play favorites, and make them treat eachother the same way you make them treat their peers.

Well said.  That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the whole only children vs. children with siblings debate.  The adult you turn out to be has a lot more to do with your parents than with your siblings.   

C is 3 years old

• "Well said. That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the whole only children vs. children with siblings debate. The adult you turn out to be has a lot more to do with your parents than with your siblings."

Totally! Me and my brother are SO different. I was rasied much more by my father, and my brother by my mother, even though my parents were still together and we did all live in the same house ...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"