October 2012 Moms

PW - Limiting milk/formula?

I know I just posted something, but I felt the need to post again when I saw this in my Week 37 email from TB.

"If you're bottle feeding, limit baby's daily intake to 16 to 24 ounces of formula or breastmilk. If she still wants more to drink, offer water"

Is anyone doing this? Bailey takes in about 30 ounces per day.... Is she just an extra hungry baby? Am I feeding her too much? 

Re: PW - Limiting milk/formula?

• yeah I definitely don't limit what E consumes. he gets what he wants when he wants it!

• There is no way I would cut back on how much breastmilk DS gets in a day at this point and he gets well over 30 oz each day plus solids. I offer water (up to 4 oz per day) when he has solids, but he actually increased his milk intake recently.  He clearly needs the calories.

They are probably assuming that the baby needs less milk because of solids, but I wouldn't withhold.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • We're giving between 30-36 ounces a day (and the last few days its even been 6 oz more due to a new middle of the night feeding that he seems to need/want) as well as solids 1-2 times a day (anywhere from 2-4 oz each time).  We don't limit - he wants it, he gets it!  I can't imagine giving water.  If I was hungry and someone gave me water telling me I'd had enough food already I'd smack them!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Bailey loves solids. She eats about 4 tbs of solids about 3 times a day, plus a bunch of puffs/gerber cheese curls. I do give her water from time to time but only because she loves it. If i open a bottle of water or drink anything out of a straw, she screams at me until I share it. But she still drinks a ton of milk. I just can't see giving her water instead of milk when she's hungry for a bottle. 

• Something is wrong here.. my doctor told me 24 - 32 ounces of breast milk OR formula (at her six month appt) - but I've read over and over and over that this is the case until a year.

So that is a DRASTIC defer from that.   

• CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    Nope, I don't limit.  Never would even if pedi said to.  I think each baby is different and needs different amounts of calories each day.  Just like adults.  Some days you're just hungrier.

image imageimageimage

• LorMorLorMor member

Our clinic nurse told us something similar. She said if LO is eating 3 solid meals a day, we would be able to cut out one of the post-nap feeds, and give her water or diluted rooibos tea. Then she remembered that we are BF, and said that in that case it doesn't matter.

What I understood was that LO is getting more calories from food now, so we could cut down on milk and just ensure she's hydrated. If BF, I guess the milk magically has fewer calories if LO needs less. 

• Yikes!  I had no idea.  We have always been told that he is too light for his age (dropped from the 10th to the 5th percentile for weight at his 6 month appointment).  He is taking four or five 8oz bottle per day still and he is almost 8 months old.

We're just beginning to introduce solids (he hated the oatmeal/rice cereal and puree's at 6 months, but is now showing interest in those and everything else.  But we are in no way on a schedule for solid foods/meals.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image    image

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sdudesdude member

At the 8 months appointment i told my pedi that my baby ate very well for breakfast and dinner but not for lunch. He told me to cut down the amount of breastmilk between meals and to give breastmilk before each meal but not between them. Breastmilk/formula is the most important BUT solid food is essential and this is not an option. They are many things missings in milk and therefore solid are essential.

• imageCK2MD:
    imagestephcarter:

"If you're bottle feeding, limit baby's daily intake to 16 to 24 ounces of formula or breastmilk. If she still wants more to drink, offer water"

How do you limit a true EBF baby's BM intake? LO takes bottles (of pumped BM) while I am at work, but on weekends, I have no idea how much she eats. Also, there is a huge difference in the number of ounces/day consumed by a FF baby versus a BF baby. The fact that these two are lumped together makes me question this recommendation. It makes no sense to me to limit BM or formula, since this should be the primary source of nutrition for the first year.

To PP who said that BM or formula is missing something: what is it missing, and can you post a reference??

I totally agree. I hadn't ever heard of this before I got the email.

Bailey turns 9 months on the first but her checkup isn't until the 22nd. I'll ask her doc about it but until then I'm going to keep on feeding her! Glad I'm not the only one who thought this was a bit odd.

• My LO eats28 ounces of formula a day. Plus a fruit and a veggie at lunch and supper. Water in between meals. Everyone tells me she is eating too much and is going to be over weigh. We are very active and also my 4 year old was this way as well and is a tall petite wasted 4 year old.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"